Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:09 PM

529 posts, read 507,937 times

Advertisements

Recently, I accidentally overheard a conversation on the subway. Now, I heard this younger person tell the older one they are tired of wasting their time with their degree, and trying to find "degree" related work (white collar). They say instead they had fully embraced blue collar prospects. They said they did some kind of training - I didn't catch all that- and would be working at around $18 an hour. Sounded good to me. The young person sounded happy too. And yet, you should have seen the look and heard the snide sounding responses. Now, I don't think it was this young person's mother because they sounded like they were catching up, so it was likely an aunt or super old person friend. Still, I couldn't believe how she was looking down and talking down to this young man. Disgusting. The view of some of you old and presumably white collar for life people is deplorable. How dare you act like someone no longer wanting to "help the needy" because he can't get a damn foot in the door is the end of the world. The young man will no doubt go on to be happy to be making decent money and have a great blue collar prospect, which will end with, if it goes as he said, a job driving our local public transit. *It pays big bucks here. $50k plus benefits YEAR 1.

STOP IT YOU OLD FOGGIES ON YOUR WHITE BLOWHORNS. ISN'T IT ENOUGH WE HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE WITH DEGREE WORKING FOR MINIMUM WAGE. GIVE ME A BREAK. LOOKING DOWN ON HIM

Old 08-26-2016, 02:42 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,051 times
It's funny, I've been doing the opposite. I'm always telling my kids that my white-collar job could be outsourced to India in a heartbeat. I've been encouraging them to get into the trades. You can't outsource electrical, plumbing and carpentry work!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:44 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
It's funny, I've been doing the opposite. I'm always telling my kids that my white-collar job could be outsourced to India in a heartbeat. I've been encouraging them to get into the trades. You can't outsource electrical, plumbing and carpentry work!
Yea but don't forget not everyone likes a physically demanding job.
Plumbing? Yuck Imma come home dirty everyday
Some of us like working in an Office.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
OP: You are making very big assumptions that anyone whom you consider an *old foggie* is part of a hive mind that thinks alike and is against all young people.
Many older people don't even offer advice or guidance any longer, even if asked simply because they get back the attitude that you have just displayed.
If you really do not want advice or guidance then do not ask for it.
Okay, carry on, nice talk.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:50 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,745,625 times
You think it is only older generations that look down on someone without a degree? It has been pushed by politicians, the media, and schools that you must have a college degree to get ahead, and so a huge segment is pushing that idea. You really want an eye opening experience? Go talk to older liberals or visit the political board, read more on this work board, and other discussion areas of this site where you are considered dumb by many on the left if you do not get a college degree, as that is a measuring stick for them. Find the threads about how the south is dumb or conservatives are not very smart because they do not have as many advanced degrees, it is enlightening on how little people actually can think for themselves and how little they know about the world outside of their little circles.

Reality is that many conservatives at any age understand that blue collar people can be smart and make a significant amount of money doing something they enjoy. They have seen it with their own eyes, but if you refuse to even be around people without a degree and automatically judge people based on their education than you will never see the truth. Just now millennials are starting to figure out the truth, blue collar does not mean stupid nor does it mean less money or job prospects, in fact with all the brain washing it has become the opposite due to lack of interest from the rest of their generation.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:14 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Foggie?

Old 08-26-2016, 05:24 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,103,317 times
Despite being an old white collar manager, among my staff are 4 millennials making from $25-32/hour with great benefits. It can still be done, but I don't look down on those that make less. Some of the most important jobs (teachers, EMTs) are underpaid for what they do and I respect their dedication.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:38 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
I like the image "old foggie" gave me, thanks

You're painting a huge group of people with one wide brush, and it's not at all accurate (wide brushes rarely are). I agree that there is no reason to belittle someone for working a job they love that's not "white collar." Being a productive member of society is worth it no matter where in the "hierarchy" the job falls. I was on board with a lot of your post. Just lost you at the foggies.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:11 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
Recently, I accidentally overheard a conversation on the subway. Now, I heard this younger person tell the older one they are tired of wasting their time with their degree, and trying to find "degree" related work (white collar). They say instead they had fully embraced blue collar prospects. They said they did some kind of training - I didn't catch all that- and would be working at around $18 an hour. Sounded good to me. The young person sounded happy too. And yet, you should have seen the look and heard the snide sounding responses. Now, I don't think it was this young person's mother because they sounded like they were catching up, so it was likely an aunt or super old person friend. Still, I couldn't believe how she was looking down and talking down to this young man. Disgusting. The view of some of you old and presumably white collar for life people is deplorable. How dare you act like someone no longer wanting to "help the needy" because he can't get a damn foot in the door is the end of the world. The young man will no doubt go on to be happy to be making decent money and have a great blue collar prospect, which will end with, if it goes as he said, a job driving our local public transit. *It pays big bucks here. $50k plus benefits YEAR 1.

STOP IT YOU OLD FOGGIES ON YOUR WHITE BLOWHORNS. ISN'T IT ENOUGH WE HAVE TOO MANY PEOPLE WITH DEGREE WORKING FOR MINIMUM WAGE. GIVE ME A BREAK. LOOKING DOWN ON HIM
You didn't say what the older people said to the guy.

Old 08-26-2016, 07:40 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
my boss, a college degree engineer was helping me unload a truck, the owner saw that and chew my boss out, "we dont pay you to do work like that" so yes the white collar look down but i really have no problem with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment