Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 11:19 AM

10,627 posts, read 12,182,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I would have signed it "the Grimace"
That's not funny given the OP's concern….so why am I laughing my arse off
OMG, I'm laughing out loud

That has made my day. Thanks.

Seriously though, the OP's situation can be a lesson for many people. Me included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 01:17 PM

1,115 posts, read 2,503,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
Does your HR office perform 'exit interviews'?
We don't have an HR department or even an HR individual....

In my state the law says I technically would have been eligible for Unemployment benefits since the employer "accelerated" my leave from the company, and while I would have loved to apply for them, I don't think I would have qualified only simply because I was already technically a full-time employee of my new company. I had completed all onboarding and orientation, but delayed my first working day till the following week as a courtesy to my previous employer and to help transition things and wrap things up. There was really no gap in employment to collect benefits for, but YES, I would have loved to file the claim for even a week if I could....

Old 09-29-2016, 01:34 PM

6,403 posts, read 4,130,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
We don't have an HR department or even an HR individual....

In my state the law says I technically would have been eligible for Unemployment benefits since the employer "accelerated" my leave from the company, and while I would have loved to apply for them, I don't think I would have qualified only simply because I was already technically a full-time employee of my new company. I had completed all onboarding and orientation, but delayed my first working day till the following week as a courtesy to my previous employer and to help transition things and wrap things up. There was really no gap in employment to collect benefits for, but YES, I would have loved to file the claim for even a week if I could....
Hey OP, let me give you my take on this.

I think there was some bitter feeling from your old boss. Perhaps he thought you were ungrateful or whatever other reason for the bitterness.

A few years ago, I worked for an engineering firm that also employed my brother. When I joined my current company, my old company was not very happy at all. They did some shady things to me that were borderline illegal. So, after 2 weeks when I finally left, I was not happy at all. You could say I left in very bad terms with them.

A few months later, my new company needed a new senior level manager to head a new team. I thought what the heck so I referenced my brother. Before I know it, the new company extended their offer of employment to my brother. When he sent in his letter of resignation, the owner of that company sent my brother and I a very nasty email.

Anyway, fast forward to recently. The division manager approached me and told me my old company applied to become our sub because apparently they'd been having financial trouble. Well, I made sure they did not become one of our subs.

My point is we should always aim to leave in good terms. Try to never burn any bridge because you never know when you will need that bridge again. Still, sometimes you just don't have a choice after the other side initiated the bridge burning.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:56 PM

204 posts, read 185,548 times
Quote:
Hi all. Why does life have to be so difficult? I put down on the paper that I didn't agree to the reason for termination and signed it so I can get out of there, since he said I couldn't leave till I signed it.
For real fun, you should have called the police and told them you were being detained against your will.

But seriously, I can see why you're worried. I do think prospective employers might be more sympathetic than you imagine. It may be one of those situations where you know you've found a better work environment right away because they actually trust you from the start.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:19 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,182,854 times
OP, you gave a week's notice as a courtesy to the employer and to not burn bridges but nothing you can do if the manager decided to burn the bridge down himself (stupid immature move). No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,407,095 times
Here is a thought. Stay at your current employer for the next 5 to 7 years. The further you are from this mess the better. While there create accomplishments on the job. Take on what ever extra project you can take on. If you can move up or into another position within the company that will be good also. I would say get at least three different positions within the 5 to 7 years. Future employers will care less about this specific situation when you get some time between your last job and your next job.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:05 PM

7,662 posts, read 4,642,354 times
Quote:
Hi all. Why does life have to be so difficult? (This happened about two weeks ago)

I told me boss I was resigning and I gave a 1 week notice of my last day. (Varying circumstances only allowed me to give one week notice, plus my previous employer had a knack for firing people when they gave a resignation notice in the past) I provided him with a written resignation letter and he was very upset and unhappy but ultimately accepted it. The next day I reported to work he told me I was being terminated and I was asked to leave the premises. I told him I didn't agree and that I already resigned, but he said that I had to sign a paper saying I was terminated and he was not accepting my resignation since my last day on my notice would not be for another week, the following Wednesday. I put down on the paper that I didn't agree to the reason for termination and signed it so I can get out of there, since he said I couldn't leave till I signed it. (I should have wrote I already resigned on the paper and the date, but you forget these things in the moment).

Now, I already had another job lined up, and good riddens to that job anyway, but I don't like having the possibility of him providing a reference to future employers that I was terminated when really I resigned. Unfortunately I did not email my resignation to him, only provided a written letter (which I have a copy of) but I should have got him to sign it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it's going to bum me out in the future if I'm looking for work again and he's telling any potential employer that I was terminated when really I resigned and had been in good standing with the company... I'll always know I resigned, but will future employers believe me if my boss is saying I was terminated?

Thoughts? Anything I should do here to protect myself?
I had a buddy that was amazing smart that moved out to a place that ended up being a white collar sweat shop under the guarantee that he would make six figures guaranteed after three years. At the time and for the field we were all starting around $30K. After 6 months he was third most senior at the firm and had a total of 9 days off (that includes Saturdays and Sundays) he got an evaluation. His raise was less than hoped for.

So he resigned, including a calculation showing that while his wage was still above the minimum hourly rate, it was lower than the rate he could make at McDonalds with no experience. They required a month notice and he gave it. The guy got angry and fired him.

So then he claimed unemployment. The office fired back saying he'd quit. He agreed that he had given notice, but was within the notice period when he'd been terminated without cause. The court agreed with him and he spent the next 6 month screwing around on the beach, just to maximize the amount extracted.

Anyway, I'd go claim unemployment on him, even if it's just for a week or so, because the dude sounds like a piece of work, and that will help him cool his temper a bit.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,365,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I had a buddy that was amazing smart that moved out to a place that ended up being a white collar sweat shop under the guarantee that he would make six figures guaranteed after three years. At the time and for the field we were all starting around $30K. After 6 months he was third most senior at the firm and had a total of 9 days off (that includes Saturdays and Sundays) he got an evaluation. His raise was less than hoped for.

So he resigned, including a calculation showing that while his wage was still above the minimum hourly rate, it was lower than the rate he could make at McDonalds with no experience. They required a month notice and he gave it. The guy got angry and fired him.

So then he claimed unemployment. The office fired back saying he'd quit. He agreed that he had given notice, but was within the notice period when he'd been terminated without cause. The court agreed with him and he spent the next 6 month screwing around on the beach, just to maximize the amount extracted.

Anyway, I'd go claim unemployment on him, even if it's just for a week or so, because the dude sounds like a piece of work, and that will help him cool his temper a bit.
I wish that worked in Texas.

(It doesn't.)

Old 09-30-2016, 09:32 AM

13,147 posts, read 21,095,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I wish that worked in Texas.

(It doesn't.)
It works with TWC all the time, you just need to know the regulations. If you resign with a 2 weeks notice, you get nothing! If you resign with a 2 weeks and 1 day notice, you get benefits. It's all in TX unemployment regulations if the person cares to read before they act.

Old 09-30-2016, 03:47 PM

26 posts, read 23,732 times
Well if you are fired they owe you unemployment. I don't know why he would not let you resign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment