Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:24 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Why does life have to be so difficult? (This happened about two weeks ago)

I told me boss I was resigning and I gave a 1 week notice of my last day. (Varying circumstances only allowed me to give one week notice, plus my previous employer had a knack for firing people when they gave a resignation notice in the past) I provided him with a written resignation letter and he was very upset and unhappy but ultimately accepted it. The next day I reported to work he told me I was being terminated and I was asked to leave the premises. I told him I didn't agree and that I already resigned, but he said that I had to sign a paper saying I was terminated and he was not accepting my resignation since my last day on my notice would not be for another week, the following Wednesday. I put down on the paper that I didn't agree to the reason for termination and signed it so I can get out of there, since he said I couldn't leave till I signed it. (I should have wrote I already resigned on the paper and the date, but you forget these things in the moment).

Now, I already had another job lined up, and good riddens to that job anyway, but I don't like having the possibility of him providing a reference to future employers that I was terminated when really I resigned. Unfortunately I did not email my resignation to him, only provided a written letter (which I have a copy of) but I should have got him to sign it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it's going to bum me out in the future if I'm looking for work again and he's telling any potential employer that I was terminated when really I resigned and had been in good standing with the company... I'll always know I resigned, but will future employers believe me if my boss is saying I was terminated?

Thoughts? Anything I should do here to protect myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 10:41 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Employers can fire you for any reason they want to. About the only thing I can think of is if you have any copies of postive reviews that you received during the time you were there. Something you can try is to send an email to your former boss or someone further up the food chain to see why this happened. Go to the top and ask. Depending on the company, not everyone knows what is going on in every department of a company. This could be a company wide thing or limited to the specific area you worked in.

My thought though is I would have stayed on. I would have enforced the one week time frame. The reason is that they were forcing you to change your story. I have no idea how true it is but someone mentioned that in some states if you give notice and then they fire you that employers have to honor the resignation and pay you until the time frame ends, in your case one week. I don't have the time to look that up but it would be interesting if that is true. Just to be safe I am giving 1,664 weeks notice. LOL

Old 09-28-2016, 10:47 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
he said I couldn't leave till I signed it.
He can tell you anything, but I'm pretty sure that's unenforceable.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:49 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
So why did you sign anything? What do you think they would do if you refused to sign; lock you in the storage closet feeding you Skittles and Doritos until you sign? You r response in these situations are always the same, "I have already submitted my resignation to you. Am I to understand that you are terminating me today because I submitted a resignation?" That's all you have to say. Be it you resigned on your own terms or were terminated for resigning, your former employer can say whatever they want so nothing changes with the drama. By signing something (even if you dispute it on that form), you may think you are covering yourself but no prospective employer will ever see your side of that paperwork and your former employer now has in his hands a Signed form with your signature relating to being FIRED!

Think people, think!

Old 09-28-2016, 11:00 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
You should have said, "okay," collected your things and walked out the door. They can't make you sign anything.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:36 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,497,977 times
I realized now I probably didn't have to sign it, but he said it was necessary for me to sign and when these things happen you get caught up in the moment and I believe there is a saying that says hindsight is 20/20.

I could be making a mountain out of a molehill, but it doesn't get rid of the uneasy feeling of being terminated when you did nothing wrong and simply provided your resignation.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:44 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_grimace View Post
Hi all. Why does life have to be so difficult? (This happened about two weeks ago)

I told me boss I was resigning and I gave a 1 week notice of my last day. (Varying circumstances only allowed me to give one week notice, plus my previous employer had a knack for firing people when they gave a resignation notice in the past) I provided him with a written resignation letter and he was very upset and unhappy but ultimately accepted it. The next day I reported to work he told me I was being terminated and I was asked to leave the premises. I told him I didn't agree and that I already resigned, but he said that I had to sign a paper saying I was terminated and he was not accepting my resignation since my last day on my notice would not be for another week, the following Wednesday. I put down on the paper that I didn't agree to the reason for termination and signed it so I can get out of there, since he said I couldn't leave till I signed it. (I should have wrote I already resigned on the paper and the date, but you forget these things in the moment).

Now, I already had another job lined up, and good riddens to that job anyway, but I don't like having the possibility of him providing a reference to future employers that I was terminated when really I resigned. Unfortunately I did not email my resignation to him, only provided a written letter (which I have a copy of) but I should have got him to sign it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it's going to bum me out in the future if I'm looking for work again and he's telling any potential employer that I was terminated when really I resigned and had been in good standing with the company... I'll always know I resigned, but will future employers believe me if my boss is saying I was terminated?

Thoughts? Anything I should do here to protect myself?
and what did you think he was going to do if you left, tie you to the desk, sit on top of you. Seriously.

also you did not resign, you served notice that you intended to resign in one week. Up until that date you stated in your letter, you were fully employed by that company, and doing so they had every right to fire you, as long as it was allowed by law. I would suspect you expected to be paid for the time between the delivering of the letter and final day, which goes to show you did not resign, just gave notice. Plus, you or him are not required to sign anything, nobody can force you to sign something, just as you could not force him to sign your little letter.

In the future he is well within his rights to tell people you were terminated, because you were, and he has a paper to back his claim up. For future potential employers I would find somebody else at the company for them to speak too.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
So why did you sign anything? What do you think they would do if you refused to sign; lock you in the storage closet feeding you Skittles and Doritos until you sign? You r response in these situations are always the same, "I have already submitted my resignation to you. Am I to understand that you are terminating me today because I submitted a resignation?" That's all you have to say. Be it you resigned on your own terms or were terminated for resigning, your former employer can say whatever they want so nothing changes with the drama. By signing something (even if you dispute it on that form), you may think you are covering yourself but no prospective employer will ever see your side of that paperwork and your former employer now has in his hands a Signed form with your signature relating to being FIRED!

Think people, think!
That's a good deal, as long as the Skittles are the original flavors, not those specialty flavored ones.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:53 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
With any resignation or termination, once you sign either and the other party has it. It's done deal. That's why for terms, never sign anything until you see the writing and it is agreeable separation.

Being termed with cause is actually worse than resigning. I would file to get that changed some way with the HR dept there or else play it out and hope your future employments does not dig too far back. It's easier to get it changed then try to explain to a new job the situation and let them guess who to believe.

Old 09-28-2016, 12:06 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
Keep a copy of your resignation letter. It would have been better if you had emailed it and could keep a copy of that record.

Many employers unfortunately, are immature and want to have 'the last word'. Many people who resign and give notice are "fired".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment