Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 07:01 AM

15 posts, read 32,943 times

Advertisements

I thought everything was all set and the background check had completed. I gave 2 week notice at my current job. A few days later I found out that there was an issue with the background check and they were rescinding the offer. My current manager won't take me back. Do I have any recourse on this one or am I out of luck with no income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 07:05 AM

21 posts, read 18,218 times
What was the issue in the background check?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:10 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
why give notice before you know next start date?

Old 10-31-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingperson15 View Post
What was the issue in the background check?
had a misdemeanor reckless driving from 3 years ago. I listed it out on the background check form where they listed the question have I ever convicted of a misdemeanor. I misunderstood and thought everything was all set when I went to HR and filled out all of the new hire paperwork.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:22 AM

I had a start date lined up and thought it was final but turned out it was contingent on the background check still.

Old 10-31-2016, 07:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Not much you can do now except learn from your mistake and move on. Never put in notice until you are 100% cleared for your new job and have a start date.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:54 AM

2,740 posts, read 1,336,050 times
Past employers haven't given me a start date until after the background check is complete. Not sure why HR allowed you to complete new hire paperwork if the background check wasn't completed/accepted.

I doubt there is much that you can do about it. Sorry.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:24 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Odd to have a start date w/o background check complete.

File for UI for the time being. I believe that because of the circumstances, you would still qualify, but it could depend on your state. There is no harm in trying.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:29 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,805,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanca View Post
had a misdemeanor reckless driving from 3 years ago. I listed it out on the background check form where they listed the question have I ever convicted of a misdemeanor. I misunderstood and thought everything was all set when I went to HR and filled out all of the new hire paperwork.

That should not be a red flag on a background check. I think there must be more to that story.

I have much worse driving offenses (2 state police chase) and still cleared to work at a bank and with the government.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:35 AM

3,974 posts, read 4,253,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanca View Post
I thought everything was all set and the background check had completed. I gave 2 week notice at my current job. A few days later I found out that there was an issue with the background check and they were rescinding the offer. My current manager won't take me back. Do I have any recourse on this one or am I out of luck with no income?
It's worth a try to point out to your current manager that you are already trained and he/she won't have to train a new employee. It almost sounds like they took your giving notice personally. Unless, of course, they have already hired someone to replace you and feel like they can't go back on their word.

Getting unemployment is going to be tough, but it's worth a try. And you can appeal it if it is denied. Depends on the state you live in, but sometimes just being tenacious is what it takes.

Sorry this happened to you. Painful lesson learned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment