Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,928,808 times

Advertisements

At least where I work, beyond entry-level is management. And if you don't want to be management, you will be stuck in low wage forever.

It wasn't always like that though. Line workers used to be paid decently. But now they simply take from the workers and give it all to the management.

Last edited by s1alker; 12-20-2016 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2016, 07:00 AM

5,025 posts, read 7,460,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Your choice, no one else's business.

This!

Old 12-20-2016, 07:46 AM

12,860 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
But what if I like what I do and enjoy it because its easy, low stress, had good hours , and enjoy the kind of work i do?

Does that make me a bad person?
You asked about entry level. Entry means learning how to do the job unassisted and without someone watching you all the time. A training position. There are many who like what they do and don't move up. But they are able to do it very well. An independent skilled worker is very different from entry. It's simple. If you just want to remain a trainee then I don't need you because I can't spare someone to check up on you all the time.

You don't have to become a supervisor but if you don't want to become an independent journeyman then don't waste time.

Old 12-20-2016, 07:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
Because too many people in corporate america are of the believe that if you aren't moving forward/up then something must be wrong with you. They see it as a weakness to stagnate. The reality is, well, screw them. Do what you want and makes you happy. We don't all live to work.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:26 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,962,876 times
Quote:
(No not retail or fast food! Those dont count.)

Easy money
Easy hours
Easy responsibilities

There has been talk about how low level employees are looked down upon
If you stay there for a very long time we are talking for many years

Im talking about Entry level jobs like help desk, paralegal, electrician trainee
Financial analyst assistant , pharmacy, bank teller desktop support etc

What if some of us all we care about is the money aka paying the bills?
I'm pretty sure that you're going to find that even though you have chosen an easy path salary-wise, you will be driven to take on more than your job description - if only because accomplishing what is in your job description will probably only occupy half of your time. If you are satisfied with twiddling your thumbs and pretending to look busy for the remainder of the time, that would lead to people wondering why you don't do more with your paid time.

Old 12-20-2016, 08:32 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,089,708 times
Quote:
But what if I like what I do and enjoy it because its easy, low stress, had good hours , and enjoy the kind of work i do?

No.

If you are happy doing what you are doing, and it allows you to support yourself in a way that is acceptable to you, and you are enjoying a happy, low-stress lifestyle...then you've got it made. It's a free (so far, somewhat) country. Life, liberty and pursuit of happiness- if you have what you want, then nevermind what everyone else thinks, let them run the rat-race, bang their heads against the wall and die of heart attacks if they want to.

Oh, and quit bragging.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:06 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,746,037 times
Quote:

No, it doesn't make you a bad person but at some point you will probably be offered a higher position and if you do not take it, it will look bad on you. Also, if you were ever to leave that company or be fired and tried to look for another position it will look bad on your resume. Recruiters or hiring management will question why you never advanced. If you tell them because you just didn't want to they will probably pass on you as it looks like you either....one don't have the skills to advance or two, just lazy.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:35 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
If a person knows himself, and knows that he will not enjoy the added pressure of moving up the ladder, of if he knows he is better suited to the job he has, what is wrong with that?

If I'm going to the bank, I want the teller who has been there for 30 years. If I'm asking a question at the DMV, I want the lady who knows everything. Chances are they are smart and reliable, so could have been promoted if they wanted.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:44 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,347,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
No, it doesn't make you a bad person but at some point you will probably be offered a higher position and if you do not take it, it will look bad on you. Also, if you were ever to leave that company or be fired and tried to look for another position it will look bad on your resume. Recruiters or hiring management will question why you never advanced. If you tell them because you just didn't want to they will probably pass on you as it looks like you either....one don't have the skills to advance or two, just lazy.
Why?

Old 12-20-2016, 10:37 AM

3,137 posts, read 2,711,410 times
You mentioned paralegals. Some paralegals do quite well and earn decent money. They may not want to go into debt 100K and lose three years of a salary in order to attend law school. Also, many legal secretaries do well also. I know a legal secretary who earned 70K at her job. She was comfortable with that. She did not feel some pressing, urgent need to do something else.

Admin assistants can be a lifelong career for some if they are paid well and have full benefits at their job.

I'm not sure what pharmacy techs earn.

What a person does for a career is their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment