Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 06:54 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times

Advertisements

(No not retail or fast food! Those dont count.)

Easy money
Easy hours
Easy responsibilities

There has been talk about how low level employees are looked down upon
If you stay there for a very long time we are talking for many years

Im talking about Entry level jobs like help desk, paralegal, electrician trainee
Financial analyst assistant , pharmacy, bank teller desktop support etc

What if some of us all we care about is the money aka paying the bills?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 07:19 PM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
I have the same question, including retail and fast food. What is irritating is when a person in that job looks down on it, needs to tell everyone else that they are better than their job, then shirks their minimal responsibility and makes others do their work for them (because if they are too good for it, obviously no one else is).

I had a supervisor once who would come wash dishes with me because it was an escape from the usual stress he had to deal with. He never acted like he was above anyone. I miss that guy.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
For many, I'd not most people, it's considered normal for people to constantly improve themselves. While that could mean learning skills through hobbies, volunteer work, or sports, it's most common for people to improve their job skills, and either move up the ladder with promotions, typical of the 1970s to 90s, or leave for a better job elsewhere, the current trend. Right or wrong, stagnating at the same low skill low pay job is looked upon as laziness, lack of ambition, or poor self esteem. This becomes the biggest problem when you meet a person and start a serious relationship, and that new mate is skeptical of their future success.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
There's a difference between not wanting to go into management and not wanting to advance beyond entry level. Many people over the years have worked at line jobs with no desire for management, but they grew in those jobs and became the go to expert for it. Staying in an entry level job implies you never get beyond entry level skills and so really provide no ROI so to speak for the investment in training.

Old 12-19-2016, 10:16 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
There's a difference between not wanting to go into management and not wanting to advance beyond entry level. Many people over the years have worked at line jobs with no desire for management, but they grew in those jobs and became the go to expert for it. Staying in an entry level job implies you never get beyond entry level skills and so really provide no ROI so to speak for the investment in training.
But what if I like what I do and enjoy it because its easy, low stress, had good hours , and enjoy the kind of work i do?

Does that make me a bad person?

Old 12-20-2016, 04:56 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
At many companies today there are limited opportunities to even move up since there are limited to no job openings. So what is someone to do anyways? Magically create job openings to move up into? There is a FRACTION of job opportunities and openings at companies compared to before. So you will see many people gaining knowledge but staying put. At my facility I don't think there's been a job opening for advancement in 5 years. The only way to move is to pack up everything and move halfway around the country. Not bad if you are young with no kids, mortgage etc.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:15 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
But what if I like what I do and enjoy it because its easy, low stress, had good hours , and enjoy the kind of work i do?

Does that make me a bad person?
It doesn't make you a bad person at all. That said, not wanting stress or challenge can be looked at as unmotivated. Which isn't a trait that most will look for in an employee. It's nothing personal against you, but it is business.

I think it really depends on the organization. Some will be fine with you not wanting to move up. But others are structured so there is an upward path. And some even expect that and make it very clear up front (up or out organizations).

Old 12-20-2016, 05:25 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
At many companies today there are limited opportunities to even move up since there are limited to no job openings. So what is someone to do anyways? Magically create job openings to move up into? There is a FRACTION of job opportunities and openings at companies compared to before. So you will see many people gaining knowledge but staying put. At my facility I don't think there's been a job opening for advancement in 5 years. The only way to move is to pack up everything and move halfway around the country. Not bad if you are young with no kids, mortgage etc.
Remaining in the same low wage job is also fine with no kids or mortgage, but with kids come a huge responsibility to support them. It starts with diapers, car seats, formula, and goes up from there over 18 or more years, and that requires a lot more money than a single person. Then eventually there is retirement. Your social security is based on what you make when working, and most low wage jobs have no pension, and you have little to put into and IRA or 401k.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:30 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
Your choice, no one else's business.

Old 12-20-2016, 06:09 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
Your choice, no one else's business.
Yea..OP ..why would you care? The only reason it LOOKS bad is if you want to advance. If you like your job, the pay is decent and you are pretty good at it, don't worry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment