Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 07:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

We're about the opposite, In fact, if I'm looking for one of my staff, perhaps someone who is late for a meeting, I will text them. They must have had a problem with cell phone abuse. I'm sure most of us have experienced waiting for a retail clerk to get off their cell phone to take our payment, or even have them talking on it while giving the change or receipt. For the consumer it's annoying, and employers know it. Like any workplace rules (dress code, hours, benefits, tardiness policy) you have to weigh the job opportunity with your needs and if it's not suitable, move on and keep looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 07:56 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You must be younger because a lot of us worked WITH NO CELL PHONES for many many years. We didn't have the internet and we did juuuuuuust fine without it.

I have had a cell phone since the mid-to-late 1990s and I think I've made exactly one call that I would deem an emergency.
And we used to travel in horse drawn carriages, and read by candlelight. What's the point?

Old 12-30-2016, 08:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
And we used to travel in horse drawn carriages, and read by candlelight. What's the point?
We should get rid of anything with a plug or battery, that will improve efficiency and work distractions!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:23 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,998 times
Quote:
You must be younger because a lot of us worked WITH NO CELL PHONES for many many years. We didn't have the internet and we did juuuuuuust fine without it.

I have had a cell phone since the mid-to-late 1990s and I think I've made exactly one call that I would deem an emergency.

I agree a lot of people are overly attached to their phones, but I don't think anyone is saying the store not allowing cell phones on the floor is out of place. When I worked retail, people had to keep their phones in their lockers. But the policy of not using them on breaks/lunches is excessive, especially if it's an unpaid lunch break.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:47 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
It seemed overly strict to me: no cell phones at work, period. If you brought one with you it had to be left at the front desk or in your car. No making or accepting ANY phone calls at work. Not even during break, lunch, via their landlines, or your cell.
Where I work there are radio free zones, where cell phones are not allowed to be used, or even allowed on your person. One of these zones in the main control room for the Nuclear Reactor, but when you leave a radio controlled area, you are allowed to retrieve your phone from a locker and make calls on breaks.

Last edited by TechGromit; 12-30-2016 at 08:58 AM..

Old 12-30-2016, 09:06 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I checked into a part-time retail position in a family-owned business close to home. It seemed ideal for me as a 24/7 caregiver who is retired and just wanted to work a few hours a day, a few days a week, for extra income and to get out of the house.
They wanted to hire me ''on the spot'' and the hours seemed fine considering my role at home, until their cell phone policy came to light.
It seemed overly strict to me: no cell phones at work, period. If you brought one with you it had to be left at the front desk or in your car. No making or accepting ANY phone calls at work. Not even during break, lunch, via their landlines, or your cell.
As a caregiver that was unacceptable and there was no budging on their policy, so that ended that for me.
I mean, who would work where they could not even be contacted via the store's line for a family emergency?
Anyone run into policies this strict?
I see two policies here - a cell phone policy and a personal call policy.

The cell phone policy seems fine with regards to no phone within the premise. And this isn't uncommon for various environments. Albeit it has more to do with security/risk management than productivity issues.

That said - the personal call policy aspect seems a bit excessive. Banning the use of the businesses phones for personal calls is one thing. But prohibiting phone call on breaks (even off site?) seems unrealistic.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:31 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
A lot of big companies like power plants and chemical plants have those rules. Even transportation company like truckers too

Old 12-30-2016, 09:42 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
This policy is probably in response to "emergencies" like my safe space was violated or some such none sense. Failure of common sense and ability to handle the day to day details we all encounter may have created this overly harsh policy to calls during lunch or on break. If not its over the board for todays world.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:05 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:

Same here.. I see so many younger folks texting and calling on company time I can understand the no phones in work area policy. Should not apply to breaks or lunch.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:15 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,571,179 times
No, I am not younger. I am 61 and am a caregiver as well. If I were a parent I'd feel the same. To allow no use of their landline to even allow incoming emergency calls for workers sealed the deal for me.
I didn't talk on my personal cell at work except on breaks when I did work in an office or store. But I could be reached on it or through the office phone for emergencies.
And who would want to leave their phone at a front desk? Not me. I have lots of personal data on my phone not to mention the value of the phone itself.
It's not 1970. Phones are here to stay and are also a safety device. I'm not leaving home without it and I'm not leaving it in a hot car in the summer or a cold car in the winter.
Just a silly rule and no wonder they can't hire help. It's a grocery, for crying out loud! Heaven forbid I'd take a photo of lettuce or banana prices and alert Wal-Mart! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment