Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:19 AM

27 posts, read 61,292 times

Advertisements

I have been working in IT for over 10 years and I can't take the stress any more. If you've made a career change in your life, please tell me about it. I could use some inspiration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2017, 07:06 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,660,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2014 View Post
I have been working in IT for over 10 years and I can't take the stress any more. If you've made a career change in your life, please tell me about it. I could use some inspiration.
I have two degrees (business admin and nutrition science), was pre-med, post graduate in 2007 was facing the financial meltdown of 2008. Economy was in the pits. Decided to try the Dietary Manager route. Ended up working at two facilities in that position. Didn't last more than 2 years in either one which is longer than the turnover at the position at both facilities. The first position was offered at 32k/year working 60-80 hours per week. The second was 45k/year working around the same hours. Getting calls at 4am with staff that cared little calling off. Me rushing to work in the ice and snow with no one else on the roads. My entire night crew calling off during our massive snow fall in 2016.

In march of last year I decided to make a break and get back into school. With my pre-med background, I got back on that track. I got accepted to a BSN accelerated nursing program, however, and now am heading that direction.

Instead of working salaried averaging $12-$15 dollars an hour as a department head feeling I was being used to cut labor costs, I will be making $30+ in an hourly position in which I'll respect the position and work that I'd do.

I recommend checking out the allied health programs at community colleges. Good paying jobs with a minimal investment. Nursing still provides pretty good bang for your education buck, and the industry could use more men/less estrogen, drama, etc. There are lots of men in nursing that comes to it as a second career. Every place i've worked, male nurses are looked upon favorably. More reliable, more professional, less drama, less backstabbing, more supportive, etc.

Old 03-13-2017, 07:12 AM

607 posts, read 983,434 times
My college degree is not related to what I do for a living these days. To change careers/profession, I had to take low paying gigs to work my way up. Now I compete for much bigger things and take charge of what companies I want to work for (negotiating with them). In all, it has been a 10 year process.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:17 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,403,339 times
All 3 of my kids have great careers in health care.

It's the only part of the economy that is growing.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:30 AM

11,578 posts, read 6,780,039 times
My first career was in retail management for 5 years. I then (by accident) fell into banking and worked as a Branch Manager for 10 years, also selling investment products. After taking sometime off to raise a family, I re-entered the work force as an insurance agent and I have been doing that now for 7 years. My degree is in Business management.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,164,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2014 View Post
I have a semi-failed half-@ss attempt to change careers.

If you are going to change careers, you need to ...

1) Get experience in that field before you start the degree process and without a doubt before you complete it.

2) Go gung-ho and make the change. Don't accept some job that is 'in-between' what you were doing before and what you were switching to.

As you can imagine, this is pretty difficult because all of this costs $, and that's what people care about most in life. It's why most TRUE career changes don't happen.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:48 AM

15,850 posts, read 20,687,924 times
First 10 years of my working career, I was an electrician. Great money, but physically hard on the body.

Latest 10 years, I made a jump to Mechanical engineering. Sit an computer most of the day, my body now thanks me.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
All 3 of my kids have great careers in health care.

It's the only part of the economy that is growing.
For example, there are now 250 openings here for nurses

https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...n-suthers.html

Old 03-13-2017, 09:01 AM

1,650 posts, read 1,120,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
First 10 years of my working career, I was an electrician. Great money, but physically hard on the body.

Latest 10 years, I made a jump to Mechanical engineering. Sit an computer most of the day, my body now thanks me.
Similarly, I spent 10 years in various jobs some of them physically demanding. All of them low paying. Getting injured was sort of a wake up call. I am currently in college pursuing an engineering degree. I've got my nose in the books like nobodys business. Failure is no option at my age. I can't wait for my first co-op though! I'm not doing it just for the money though, I have always been an electronics hobbiest and really enjoy building/designing/fixing things. I just was always intimidated by the maths. But now that I've jumped in feet first, it's not so bad!

Old 03-13-2017, 09:06 AM

One summer job that I held during high school was moving furniture in Phoenix in the summertime.

That one inspired me to get serious about college. I got 2 engineering degrees.

At 18, physical work is a challenge but not too hard. At 50, it becomes increasingly difficult. By 60, forget about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment