Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,331,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You could never predict how it could be used. To pretend that it could *only* be used for one purpose is being ignorant.

Remember, the technology offered to the public is about 50 years BEHIND what the technology that is used by govenrments behind closed doors.

To GIVE UP yourself so you don't have to carry a credit card? I sincerely hope this was a troll post, not someone seriously believing that the convenience of not having a card in your pocket is an appropriate tradeoff.
You'd have to kill me before I'd allow you to implant a microchip on me, or to tattoo me with a bar code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 11:21 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,658,120 times
Sounds like a Doubleplusgood idea.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:09 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,971,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RP2C View Post
Sounds like a Doubleplusgood idea.
Yep. What year is it??? I often feel posts like this are meant to test the waters. See if it gets people's attention. See how many agree. The posts never feel authentic.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:12 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,844,854 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4rBDUJTnNU Guess they missed reading his book.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:50 PM

8,109 posts, read 7,479,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Neat if you want a private company have the ability to track you 24/7. Especially because as an employee you have so much control and insight to what the company does with the information they gather.
Yeah, it would be totally cool if the government was doing it.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:18 PM

901 posts, read 748,571 times
Keyword: voluntary

Old 04-04-2017, 01:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 921,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You could never predict how it could be used. To pretend that it could *only* be used for one purpose is being ignorant.

Remember, the technology offered to the public is about 50 years BEHIND what the technology that is used by govenrments behind closed doors.

To GIVE UP yourself so you don't have to carry a credit card? I sincerely hope this was a troll post, not someone seriously believing that the convenience of not having a card in your pocket is an appropriate tradeoff.
For a start, I know how it could be used - proving that employees turn up on time. Despite being in a 21st century age, people around me still struggle with the ancient philosophy of turning up when their shift begins. Seeing people stroll in whenever they feel like or slip out 5-10 minutes early every day and get away with it, there's some karma there.

It also says bravery. No more cards or cash. Just imagine it! Swiping your hand and paying for food, transport, anything you damn like. And sure, thieves might take advantage of you, but your screaming while they try to amputate the bone in your arm - it probably isn't worth it by the time somebody has come to help.

And if gubmit is 50 years ahead of us? Well then be 50 years ahead of us. But more likely it has been free market driving the frontier of technology, not government. And you're the kind of person who'd hate anything new to your industry thinking "oh no death of X industry" instead of considering it could be a corporate improvement.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:45 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,935,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Yeah, it would be totally cool if the government was doing it.
2 wrongs don't make a right

Old 04-04-2017, 01:51 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,971,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
For a start, I know how it could be used - proving that employees turn up on time. Despite being in a 21st century age, people around me still struggle with the ancient philosophy of turning up when their shift begins. Seeing people stroll in whenever they feel like or slip out 5-10 minutes early every day and get away with it, there's some karma there.

It also says bravery. No more cards or cash. Just imagine it! Swiping your hand and paying for food, transport, anything you damn like. And sure, thieves might take advantage of you, but your screaming while they try to amputate the bone in your arm - it probably isn't worth it by the time somebody has come to help.

And if gubmit is 50 years ahead of us? Well then be 50 years ahead of us. But more likely it has been free market driving the frontier of technology, not government. And you're the kind of person who'd hate anything new to your industry thinking "oh no death of X industry" instead of considering it could be a corporate improvement.
So fire them. After the first two employees are fired for lateness, problem solved, people will show up early for work. That's also a manager problem, not an employee problem. Why are managers putting up with it? Fire managers who put up with it as well. Problem Solved.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:07 PM

8,092 posts, read 12,822,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
It would allow your employer to know where you are at all times. This is terrifying.
I doubt a small chip would have GPS tracking capability. I wouldn't submit to it myself but I doubt they would "know where you are at all times".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment