Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
This truly doesn't make any sense. Every corporation is by definition 100% owned by its shareholders, who are the final arbiters of the 'value' of their investment.

If a stock is priced at a certain price per share by the market and the market is liquid, the value of the company and its market capitalization are equal, and found by multiplying the share price by the number of shares outstanding.

The assets and liabilities of the company only indicate the companies approximate liquidation value, which is irrelevant to an ongoing concern properly priced by the market.
I'm not talking about an investment valuation. My point is that the company with the bigger market cap is not necessarily the stronger company. Market cap doesn't buy you a new plant. The investor share value is not available to the company to use as they please or need. To reiterate, if I own a million dollars worth of AMZN it is my million dollars, not theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,630,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm not talking about an investment valuation. My point is that the company with the bigger market cap is not necessarily the stronger company. Market cap doesn't buy you a new plant. The investor share value is not available to the company to use as they please or need. To reiterate, if I own a million dollars worth of AMZN it is my million dollars, not theirs.
Right, but if AMZN has $100 million sitting in a bank account somewhere, that money belongs to the shareholders as well.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:00 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,273,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Right, but if AMZN has $100 million sitting in a bank account somewhere, that money belongs to the shareholders as well.
In theory. But Amazon controls it, decides how to spend it. They can keep it as a cash reserve, build a new warehouse, buy another company, or pay a dividend. The shareholder has no access or control over it beyond voting for officers who make those decisions.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:00 PM

3,482 posts, read 3,405,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Definitely. I went to a Sears Saturday - first time in several years. I had a battery put on, an oil change, and tire rotation. They're cheaper than local shops (closest Sears closed recently), but are always a bit slow. It took four hours. Probably half the store had bare shelves or merchandise on blowout prices.

If this is the direction all Sears have moved to, no wonder they're on their way out.
Kmart and Sears have been dying for YEARS. A sign of how much that company(Sears Holdings, though I jokingly call them K-Sears) has struggled, is when you go into their stores in recent years and see more barren shelves, than you used to years ago. I also noticed when video games got eliminated at all Sears and Kmart stores, a few years back.

If it wasn't for certain categories keeping this company alive(i.e. their long reputation with appliances and tools, and the fact the vast majority of Sears have convenient auto centers outside the store), they'd probably cease to exist. Kmart does have a few things going for them, such as that many of their stores have Little Caesar's Pizza inside, and I know a few friends who like the Joe Boxer clothing line.

As it is, they barely are treading water as a company, and I'm extremely amazed they've stayed out of bankruptcy for now. You know it's extremely bad for them if they're having to sell off side businesses they own(Land's End, Craftsman, Kenmore), doing subleasing of Kmart and Sears spaces(and sometimes closing that respective store, if another retailer will pay them a greater rent/lease than how much money a Sears or Kmart store is making in that space), and shutting down store operations they used to do(i.e. The Great Indoors, Sears Grand) to keep open. They did once try to convert some Kmart stores to Sears Essentials, but that didn't last long, and to my knowledge all those remaining stores the company hasn't shut down are back to being Kmart again.

My prediction, is that they probably will go bankrupt in a year or 2. I just can't see how they'll continue to survive as a company, when the vast majority of people(myself included) just prefer shopping at other stores vs. Kmart and Sears. And wow, I nearly forget to admit the fact that most Kmarts and Sears stores look old and dated as crap, inside!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment