Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:50 PM

809 posts, read 1,336,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Finding an employee who the clients love is most important which is why upper management already said to leave her alone, which is exactly what the OP should do.

Just because an employer pays you money, it doesn't mean they own you. The employee might have very good personal reasons why they don't want to talk with the media.

2 hours to talk with the media? I guess they don't have phones where the OP lives. Or the story isn't important enough for the media to come to the OP. I'd do the interview myself by phone for this rag or don't bother with it.

As for the OP not being welcomed at the meetings by this employee, there is a very good reason for that. The employee has a great relationship with the client and doesn't want it messed up by the OP being there, which makes perfect sense.

You have an employee that the clients love, I would back off and do your own work and stop trying to control and micro manager this employee. Sometimes, people are kind and will lie to you not to hurt your feelings, and that's what this employee is doing by not wanting the OP at the meetings.

Or the OP could fire this employee, and let them work for a better company.
I didn't say 2 hrs to talk with the media. I said it was a 2 hr commute for me. And yes we do have phones. But the media asked us to be there. The media is doing a story in that particular area about that particular population.

As far as me not being welcomed at the meeting, it is because the employee was providing services to clients that she wasn't suppose to be providing services to. She was doing it for free on company time. That is stealing money.

Additionally, for those who gave reasons why she didn't want her name mentioned. I totally understand that- but in the past she has personally contacted the media used her name, etc. It is fine when it is her idea, not when management wants her to do something.

This employee is very negative to other employees. She told a new employee she doesn't like anyone employed by the company. Why would you say that to a new employee within the first 30 minutes of working? No matter what is said to her there is always a negative comment returned.

No one else feels they are micromanaged. When management is evaluated, an evaluation is sent to all employees and feedback is requested. No one has ever even slightly suggested management is micromanaging. This employee hasn't stated that either. She never returns the evaluation. And yes, I did mention a new CEO was recently hired. The board of directors knew the former CEO as not properly managing and anyone could do anything they wanted and there were no consequences.

Thanks to all for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 04:28 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,161,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
I didn't say 2 hrs to talk with the media. I said it was a 2 hr commute for me. And yes we do have phones. But the media asked us to be there. The media is doing a story in that particular area about that particular population.

As far as me not being welcomed at the meeting, it is because the employee was providing services to clients that she wasn't suppose to be providing services to. She was doing it for free on company time. That is stealing money.

Additionally, for those who gave reasons why she didn't want her name mentioned. I totally understand that- but in the past she has personally contacted the media used her name, etc. It is fine when it is her idea, not when management wants her to do something.

This employee is very negative to other employees. She told a new employee she doesn't like anyone employed by the company. Why would you say that to a new employee within the first 30 minutes of working? No matter what is said to her there is always a negative comment returned.

No one else feels they are micromanaged. When management is evaluated, an evaluation is sent to all employees and feedback is requested. No one has ever even slightly suggested management is micromanaging. This employee hasn't stated that either. She never returns the evaluation. And yes, I did mention a new CEO was recently hired. The board of directors knew the former CEO as not properly managing and anyone could do anything they wanted and there were no consequences.

On your 1st post you stated, "I have an employee that is rather difficult." This statement implied that you were her boss or the owner of the company. It looks like this isn't the case. Are you her manager? How do you know so much personal detail on this employee?

Old 06-26-2017, 05:15 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,202,743 times
She is doing a great job, the clients love her, but you want to force her to be involved in something that really has nothing to do with the job.

Find someone else and let her keep doing what she does to please the clients.

Forcing her is just a waste of time for everyone.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:44 PM

186 posts, read 132,507 times
Quote:

How do you know she never returns the manager evaluations? If she did return it and said something negative, it might come back to her. Those should be anonymous. And your comment that a new employee said she said she didn't like anyone at the company is just gossip. If I were her, I'd not want you involved in anything I do.

You stated she is a good employee well liked by Clients. As are the other employees but I suspect she is liked more because she is very good at her. job. Just back off and thank your lucky stars you have her. Most people would be very appreciative, not out trying to get some kind of dirt on her gossiping with other employees. Trying to push themselves into meetings with other clients. Let her do her job. You do yours now instead of harassing her. JMHO of course but that is how it sounds here

Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,343,158 times
Quote:
I have an employee that is rather difficult. Very negative, everything is a problem. The latest issue is as follows. A newspaper wants to do a lifestyles story on our company. The newspaper is located about 2 hrs from me and in this employees territory. In order to save me time commuting, I emailed her and told her the contact info for the reporter, and she could make arrangements.

The response was she does not authorize her name to be used in such reports. I sort of understand that she wants privacy, but I googled her name and there are many articles that include her name and position. These articles were generated by our clients. Her name and phone number appear on the company website. She helped create the website, so I know she is aware of this.

She is very good at her job. The clients love her. The problem is she wants to do everything her way. She acts as tho she is independent. Doesn't want to be part of the team.

Suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Reading what you've written, it seems the reason this employee is so good at her position is likely because she is independent.

I also think a lifestyle story should feature management/owner....and not this employee....how do you know that all her/you clients want to be in this story?

I think that you should go and do the interview yourself.....because I get the sense that this employee would be targeted if you didn't like the story. The best voice for your company is you or a co-owner.

If she is not doing an adequate job, fire her....But you said she does well covering her territory and that the clients love her.....business wise.... what have you got to complain about? Think about it.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:34 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,925,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so what? you never go beyond what is listed on the job description?

there is no harm for her to do the interview if the company wants her to do it. Saying the poster should do it because she is higher up doesn't mean squat. If she is higher up and decides the employee can do the interview, guess what, it's been delegated
Companies should abide by the job description, and perform a thorough review process if it needs to be updated. Going outside the position description can cause issues involving compensation, promotion, placement, etc.

People generally take jobs because the positions match their intentions to perform. I certainly would not go skydiving because "the company told me to," and there is no expectation of me doing so in my position description.

The harm is to the employee and general moral issues that can come from it. If the company takes a hard line with an otherwise productive employee, over a task that is not even in the position description, people will have negative perceptions of this. No different than if they asked her to clean the toilet.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 PM

228 posts, read 202,242 times
Quote:
Actually, I never said it was sales. Again, I don't want to give out lots of info. We are grant funded and we provide services to clients. The clients love her because she does an excellent job. But the clients also love our other employees as well. This particular employee could be easily replaced with someone who did the job just as well.
I still don't think you can legally force someone to be part of a publication if they don't wish to be in it. If you want to take some of the advice here from anons, and fire her over something so trivial, go for it. But don't be surprised if she slaps you with some kind of suit.

Old 06-27-2017, 05:18 AM

6,727 posts, read 10,005,997 times
Quote:

This employee is very negative to other employees. She told a new employee she doesn't like anyone employed by the company. Why would you say that to a new employee within the first 30 minutes o? No matter what is said to her there is always a negative comment returned.

I have read this thread and found it interesting. Especially this post. Sounds like you really don't care for this employee and would be happy to find some reason to have her discharged.

If that is the case, you have your reason in your second paragraph. Employee providing services to "clients" who aren't actually "clients" being tantamount to "stealing money". Grounds for termination if you can prove it. I'm betting you can't, nor can you prove some of the other charges you make, which is why you're determined to have her do this publicity piece or else.

Until you have sufficient ammunition, why can't you make the drive to the reporter, do the interview yourself, and while you're there, tell the employee that you'd like to accompany her on some of her meetings with clients. Two birds, one stone, so to speak.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:19 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,161,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I have read this thread and found it interesting. Especially this post. Sounds like you really don't care for this employee and would be happy to find some reason to have her discharged.

If that is the case, you have your reason in your second paragraph. Employee providing services to "clients" who aren't actually "clients" being tantamount to "stealing money". Grounds for termination if you can prove it. I'm betting you can't, nor can you prove some of the other charges you make, which is why you're determined to have her do this publicity piece or else.

Until you have sufficient ammunition, why can't you make the drive to the reporter, do the interview yourself, and while you're there, tell the employee that you'd like to accompany her on some of her meetings with clients. Two birds, one stone, so to speak.
I agree. OP wants to have this person fired for whatever reason. Maybe, the person has taken the spotlight away from her.

Also, i still unsure of the company relationship between OP and the person. It doesn't sound like OP is the owner of the business nor the direct manager of the person. (if she is the direct manager of the person that she is a poor manager if she allowed the person to do all that under her watch). Or maybe OP is the in fact the person she is talking about it??

Old 06-27-2017, 07:05 AM

14,994 posts, read 24,006,875 times
Quote:

Once again you are mixing two different topics - one has nothing to do with the other.
1.) Employee attitude - deal with that separately, fire here if you find her attitude and work performance unacceptable.
2.) Employee privacy - we already told you that you have an ethical (and perhaps legal) responsibility to respect her wishes.

Do not use issue #2 to justify your handling of issue #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment