Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 01:25 PM

18 posts, read 12,585 times

Advertisements

Just a quick update. My direct manager shared some info with me when he wanted to meet with me on a different matter. He said that the hotel just got a visit from their corporate new owners a month or 2 before the termination took place. He told me that they were skeptical about even keeping a mini bar because none of their other properties use them anymore. It just so happens that ours hotel is a huge part of our hotel because many of our guests come in late at night and eat a lot out of the mini bar and that it pulls in over 200k a year. They decided to keep the mini bar but they had further discussions about how they wanted it operated and how the pay for the employees were being distributed and let my direct manager go at that point (my mom was making 50k+ a year). To me, it's pretty obvious that since this pay cut is their idea in which they passed to HR (the people who basically run the hotel and who are responsible for the direct termination) to look for any reason to get rid of my mother who has worked there for 15 years because they were scared to lower her pay (This would save them upwards of 20k+ a year of pay if they lowered the pay to what they are currently offering me). This convenient mistake happened at just the wrong time I'm guessing and now we are at where we are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 02:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,154,615 times
If your mom was making 50k year, she was working in a major city.

These big companies would rather play with someones finances, than eliminate upper management perks, like fruit plates, and coffee spread, discount gift cards.

I dont know your cities legality on recording conversations, but you should record this stuff. Do not rat out the source of info too soon. He may be telling you this for a reason, or he just slipped up sharing this with you.

Ask employer about an arbitration hearing, in writing. im sure a non union company has this in place, to avoid a union taking over.

There has to be a next step to fight for the job back.

Remember this hard lesson, HR is not your friend. HR speaks double language.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:50 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
So did OP consult with a labor attorney yet?

If not then it's no real update.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:21 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post

Remember this hard lesson, HR is not your friend. HR speaks double language.

HR is there to protect the interests of the company, specifically in regards to the "human/employee" aspects.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTheDog View Post
Then you have a rude awakening if you choose to take everything out of your room. Then leave food like many people do. Because they frequently clean those room far before check out time if you appear to be gone for good. Food like apples would just be tossed out as hardly anyone would come back for it.
No. I have no rude awakening coming, I am an experienced traveler who for well more than a decade spent more nights in corporate class hotels than I did at home. I also have a close family member who has been in management at a five star hotel chain for over a quarter century. We both know what to expect from a hotel. No decent hotel will do any housekeeping chores on checkout day before it is confirmed (not simply assumed from appearances) the customer is gone and none of a customer's belongings of any type will be removed.

I'm not sure what kind of hotels you frequent, but do not ascribe routines based simply on your limited experience.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:20 AM

18 posts, read 12,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
No. I have no rude awakening coming, I am an experienced traveler who for well more than a decade spent more nights in corporate class hotels than I did at home. I also have a close family member who has been in management at a five star hotel chain for over a quarter century. We both know what to expect from a hotel. No decent hotel will do any housekeeping chores on checkout day before it is confirmed (not simply assumed from appearances) the customer is gone and none of a customer's belongings of any type will be removed.

I'm not sure what kind of hotels you frequent, but do not ascribe routines based simply on your limited experience.
Well it does happen at our hotel all the time. If a housekeeper sees a guest heading toward the elevator with their luggage, they begin cleaning the room. They have not officially checked out yet but they still start. Basically the same thing happened with my mom except they decided to come back for the apples they forgot.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:59 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami136 View Post
Well it does happen at our hotel all the time. If a housekeeper sees a guest heading toward the elevator with their luggage, they begin cleaning the room. They have not officially checked out yet but they still start. Basically the same thing happened with my mom except they decided to come back for the apples they forgot.
I take my luggage out to car in the morning but use the room until it's time to check out...

Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM

3,044 posts, read 5,003,080 times
Quote:
Thank you. IT doesn't change what I posted-

"The items were on the premesis in an area you would expect them to be. A storage closet. "
Quote:
I've read every post, including the OP. Are you feeling ok?
Then why would you expect goods to be in the

Quote:
...snack storage room <snip> (Bear in mind the only people who have access to this room is her and security)
That's normal and expected behavior?

Old 07-12-2017, 09:17 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
Then we would have a huge problem! I haven't checked out and it's my room until I have checked out. Just because a person goes to the elevator with luggage doesn't mean they're actually leaving. I bring my luggage down in phases. I travel a lot for trade shows and retreats. I have a massive amount of luggage with me. A luggage cart takes at least 2 trips.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:31 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,293 times
Quote:
Where and what kind of hotel do you and your mother work for?

Why would you assume that because you see someone taking luggage to an elevator, that it is all right for you to begin cleaning the room? Do you know if the entire party will be checking out that day? Maybe the person wanted to get an early start on packing their car or wanted to store their luggage downstairs before properly checking out. Maybe they were taking items to FedEx to be mailed home like I often do after attending conferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
I take my luggage out to car in the morning but use the room until it's time to check out...
I'm not in the hotel business but I travel a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the assumption that the hotel room is mine to use until the official checkout time. I always assumed that the housekeepers/maids were informed of what rooms would be vacated that day and started cleaning them after the official check out time. There must be some way of alerting them as to any changes in vacancy
because I sometimes request a later check out time and Housekeeping never comes before that later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment