Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate my office compared to yours?
It's a pig pen! 12 41.38%
We're about the same... nice job! 9 31.03%
Your office is much better kept than mine. 8 27.59%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 12:49 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times

Advertisements

How is your desk at work? Personally I don't care how mine looks as long as nobody touches it. I know exactly where everything is and if you don't like how it looks then don't come into my office.

I just get ignored.

MESSY DESKS COULD BE A SIGN OF GENIUS, SAY RESEARCHERS

Quote:
Is your desk overflowing with scraps of paper, coffee cups, envelopes and wilted plants? Well, far from being idle, it turns out you might just be a creative genius.
Personally I don't think my office is that bad... it has been worse.

How would you rate my office next to yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 01:40 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times
I personally can't stand clutter but some of the brightest people I've ever worked with had the MESSIEST offices. One gentleman in particular would keep his door closed and when you opened it you'd get a big whiff of funk. Very bright guy. Someone needs to do a study.

Old 07-11-2017, 02:49 PM

285 posts, read 224,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
How is your desk at work? Personally I don't care how mine looks as long as nobody touches it. I know exactly where everything is and if you don't like how it looks then don't come into my office.

I just get ignored.

Out of curiosity, I read your "getting fired" story and the part about you buying the chair your boss sat in when he fired you. Is that black chair it, or is it a different one?

Old 07-11-2017, 03:24 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:

I just get ignored.

Seriously, the real problem here isn't that that office in the photo is messy. There are a number of things that need improvement. First of all, you need more space. You also need different furniture in there, and places to store equipment. You might not need more than one computer. Many times, people have more than one computer on their desk and it technically isn't needed. Things like a scanner and printer, should be in a more common area connected to a file server. So when you need to scan something, you just walk over to it, hit a bottom and it goes to the file server area you have designated.

As for the chair, I don't know, do you spend most of your time sitting there talking on the phone or at the work station? If you spend most of it talking on the phone and don't use the work station much than this chair is good. But if you actually spend time at the work station hours each day, then you should look for a more ergonomic office chair for that purpose.

I don't know if you need all that paper around or not, it might be better to have it stored on the computer and have a dual monitor set-up instead of having to work with paper.

Just my impression of the situation. But I don't think that is a messy office, I think it needs to be reconfigured.

To me, a messy office is where things are piled up in stacks everywhere and you can't function in the office because all the cluster is in the way.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:03 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
Out of curiosity, I read your "getting fired" story and the part about you buying the chair your boss sat in when he fired you. Is that black chair it, or is it a different one?
That is a different chair.

The one I purchased is at home.... a treasured object it is well protected.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I'm a genius too, but at least I have one wall all window with water view. People see the ships passing by and ignore my organized chaos. Next week I'll tidy up before my vacation, I hate to come back to a mess in case I forget where everything is.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:11 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,274 times
Quote:

I just get ignored.

This is not news. Seriously, I've had a sign on my desk saying the SAME THING for maybe 20 years. It's packed for the summer vacation, but I will take a photo of it if I manage to dig it out before August when I return to work.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Seriously, the real problem here isn't that that office in the photo is messy. There are a number of things that need improvement. First of all, you need more space. You also need different furniture in there, and places to store equipment. You might not need more than one computer. Many times, people have more than one computer on their desk and it technically isn't needed. Things like a scanner and printer, should be in a more common area connected to a file server. So when you need to scan something, you just walk over to it, hit a bottom and it goes to the file server area you have designated.

As for the chair, I don't know, do you spend most of your time sitting there talking on the phone or at the work station? If you spend most of it talking on the phone and don't use the work station much than this chair is good. But if you actually spend time at the work station hours each day, then you should look for a more ergonomic office chair for that purpose.

I don't know if you need all that paper around or not, it might be better to have it stored on the computer and have a dual monitor set-up instead of having to work with paper.

Just my impression of the situation. But I don't think that is a messy office, I think it needs to be reconfigured.

To me, a messy office is where things are piled up in stacks everywhere and you can't function in the office because all the cluster is in the way.
Great assessment!

Old 07-11-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post

The only thing, though, is the printer suggestion. I really like having my printer right there within reach. I either get locked out of the work room where the server printer is, I want color and the server only does b/w, I forget I printed something or get side-tracked and leave it in the printer if it's far away. I like the server printer for economy, but most of the time I'd rather just pay for the ink cartridges and have it at my convenience.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:54 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Agree. Not messy so much as needed better furniture. Are those doors stacked on old file cabinets?

Though like tangelag I do miss having a printer connected directly to my computer. It worked. Seems like at least 20% of the time the network printer is broken, or the network is down or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment