Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 03:38 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,348,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Citing concerns over the wage gap between women and men, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors voted unanimously Tuesday to ban employers from asking job applicants how much money they made in previous positions.
SF supervisors ban employers from asking about previous pay - SFGate

and another article about it

San Francisco employers will no longer be able to ask job applicants for salary histories, and other cities should take note.

It's an interesting idea - I know that many people, men as well as women, can find it uncomfortable to give their current salary as they feel it can put them at a disadvantage when trying to negotiate a higher starting salary for a new position.

Personally, I think I'd rather see greater transparency, where there is more disclosure so it's harder to justify giving lower salaries to women and minorities if they know what someone else doing the same job is getting. But I guess this is better than nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 03:44 PM

7,708 posts, read 4,684,527 times
I like it. If enforced, I think it would also encourage people between jobs to take jobs that pay less as well. That way it won't come back to haunt them when they finally find the permanent job they are looking for.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:23 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,598,304 times
so? they can ask the employer itself then when they ask for the reference

if people think they can not get hired because of their salary history, they need better skills

Old 07-21-2017, 05:24 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,108,679 times
If there was a gender specific wage gap, this still wouldn't help. Just more regulation.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:42 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,598,304 times
make it easy and low ball everyone who dont negotiate

Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,645,212 times
More San Fran BS....just unnecessary government intrusion into business operations

Old 07-21-2017, 06:02 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,760,152 times
I don't share my salary history. If I applied for some retail or office job and they asked what I currently make per hour, I'd just laugh. Trust me, you're not going to pay me my current hourly rate to sell books or answer phones!

Old 07-21-2017, 06:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,348,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
so? they can ask the employer itself then when they ask for the reference

if people think they can not get hired because of their salary history, they need better skills
Not about not getting hired, it's about the fact that if you've been pigeonholed into a low salary at one employer, when you disclose your current salary to a potential new employer they may low ball you so it keeps perpetuating what may have been a lower salary due to discrimination.

And they cannot ask the previous employer because it will be illegal for them to disclose that information without written permission from the employee.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:19 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,906,043 times
As if the state doesn't have enough regulation already? The city should stick to collecting the garbage, running the cable cars and teaching the kids; just more political pandering.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:36 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,758,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Not about not getting hired, it's about the fact that if you've been pigeonholed into a low salary at one employer, when you disclose your current salary to a potential new employer they may low ball you so it keeps perpetuating what may have been a lower salary due to discrimination.

And they cannot ask the previous employer because it will be illegal for them to disclose that information without written permission from the employee.
Yes, this is the issue. I just moved out of FL, where salaries are much lower than where they are in much of the rest of the country. It is not particularly gender based, but in SF, you do have a lot of people moving from other states/areas where the salary offered is almost always going to seem like a huge increase compared to what they were getting before. If you are lowballed at the start, then you are never going to catch up.

I don't think a company in SF should be offering a person from Orlando less than the person from NYC just because the NYC person's salary was higher before. OBVIOUSLY the NYC person's salary would be higher in a comparable position because NYC has a higher cost of living. What should matter is the caliber of the company, nature of the duties performed, and the overall level of responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment