Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 11:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,332,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
Some extra details that may be relevant about this company:
- First interview: HR manager/hiring manager asked my age. I didn't get selected for that position and guess the fact I was older by 10+ years over others made a difference
- Subsequent interview: Same duo asked my marital status. In this case I think it played to my advantage when I told them I didn't have kids and could relocate within a few weeks to a month.

Relocation is required, the city is more remote so everything including transportation is limited/more expensive than a big city.
Luckily I don't have to buy a car right away.
How remote? The fact that you don't have kids sounds to me like they are planning on you working all sorts of hours. I could be wrong.

Where is this job located? And, I'd want to know why you didn't get the first job and why you instead are being considered for the second position. Although, the reality is, if you aren't in the position to quibble...you may not be comfortable asking those questions. Will there be any perks...insurance etc.

Honestly 30-35 isn't a great salary, especially when you may be giving lots of extra hours with no guarantee of getting paid....unless the manager deems it was necessary...I think that is what is bothering me. How can someone call you and tell you to go fix something after hours....and still not guarantee that you'll be compensated fairly. What is the protocol for you being called to fix something....Is it per customer request...supervisor request....or what? I'd want to have more clarification about this at your next interview.

And, what happens if you just don't answer the phone....or don't go out? And someone else mentioned...is this on call going to be alternating with other employees.....or are you it?

I hope that you get the job if you want it.....Good luck on your interview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:17 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,371,480 times
$30-35K? What a joke. You could move up here and get factory work that will pretty much net you $50K right off the bat.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:27 AM

42,826 posts, read 26,547,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
$30-35K? What a joke. You could move up here and get factory work that will pretty much net you $50K right off the bat.
I agree, 30k is around $14.50 an hour. Starting wage at Costco anywhere in the US is $13.50 an hour, average Costco salary for hourly employees is $21 an hour and if you're ambitious you can promote to a lead or front end manager position within a year or 18 months for $20 to $25 an hour.

Not to mention that this doesn't even sound like a legitimate business, if they were why are they violating federal law and asking the OP if she is married ?

Old 07-30-2017, 09:39 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,188,964 times
When I am off, I expect nobody to bother me, so I can enjoy my weekend/evening. Do employers realize time off means time off? That means you should be able to go to the park, the border state, fly to NYC and whatever you want to do with your free time.

Last edited by Botev1912; 07-30-2017 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-30-2017, 10:18 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,980,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
When I am off, I expect nobody to bother me, so I can enjoy my weekend/evening. Do employers realize time off means time off? That means you should be able to go to the park, the border state, fly to NYC and whatever you want to do with your free time.
It all depends on what you're agreeing to when you take a job. Time off does not mean time off in many careers. If you're in medicine or mental health care and a patient goes into crisis, you're available for that patient. Ditto with work in IT; if you're managing a critical system and there's going to be a server patch, that's typically done during down hours and you need to be there for tech support and testing. I've seen people called back early from vacations because they were needed for tech support.

If you want time off to be time off, go for a job where that's the case. Or start your own company with your own rules (expect to put long hours in if you're an entrepreneur). But don't expect all employers to change their expectations for employees because potential employees don't think the rules are "fair".

Old 07-30-2017, 10:24 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,188,964 times
This is only true in the US. Because people agree to all ridiculous terms and conditions. That's slavery, not employment.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:47 AM

2,320 posts, read 2,572,839 times
OP: I know you need a job. I understand that your father is pressuring you to take this one. However, between the fact that they company you interviewed with is offering an awfully low beginning salary and the fact that they clearly asked inappropriate questions in your interview, I would caution you about accepting this opportunity. Employers who "lowball" people and skirt or ignore employment law seem to have the attitude that you desperate and they will also often take advantage of you while you are employed with them.

Please talk to a headhunter in your field before accepting anything like this. I wish you the best of luck -- try not to undersell yourself and remember that knowledge is power. Please keep us updated on your progress.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:52 AM

1,977 posts, read 2,340,155 times
just say no

Old 07-30-2017, 12:01 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,236,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
After this became effective, there was bound to be someone earning $47,475.99/year who was told "congratulations, we're promoting you and giving you a raise."

"Thanks! How much of a raise can I expect?", the employee asks.

"We're going to raise your salary by $0.00834 per month!"
There is more to it than this. Basically unless you are either a partner, commissioned executive, can hire and fire at will and make decisions regarding money (Sign the checks) you are non exempt and have to be paid an hourly rate.

Dosent mean the OP shouldnt take the job. 35K is McDonald salary thou but if that is all you can get the bills still need to be paid.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,207,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
Pay your dues, help your future employer succeed then move on...maybe even start your own business which is another whole thing in itself. Good Luck. Listen to your dad even if you decide to not heed his advice at least you know you are getting suggestions from someone who cares.
Yeah, unless his old man is equally clueless.

Paying your dues is one thing, being cheated is another. If they are saying that you qualify for overtime pay in any way, they are likely admitting that the position is non-exempt -- which, by every account given, it is. You should be paid for every minute of work you do, if you are non-exempt, and all Federal overtime rules will apply. That's the law and it is quite clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment