Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:51 PM

13,413 posts, read 7,418,896 times

Advertisements

My employer recently starting doing personality testing called DISC. At first I didn't think much of it only that it was going to be a 3 hour meeting which I dreaded I have lot of work to do. They sent us a test by email which had 30-40 questions then at the meeting with my entire department each person's test results were shared. I was really surprised how accurate this test was and at the time of the meeting it was kind of fun to talk about one another's personalities. Later that day I kind of felt violated that the results were shared with my team members without my consent. It seems to me that this kind of thing could be a hipaa violation. I don't know if it really is or not I have found some websites that say it's a ADA violation for pre-employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 09:59 PM

13,144 posts, read 21,091,659 times
Clarification, are you saying you were were having a grand old time learning and talking about all the other employee's personality results in an open setting, but now suddenly you feel violated? Was your personality results not as flattering as you wanted and maybe knocked you down a notch or two?

Old 08-28-2017, 11:06 PM

13,413 posts, read 7,418,896 times
My results didn't bother me at all I'm saying I don't think these things should be presented to a group of people without ones consent the exercise was not voluntary it was mandatory. I was not the only one who felt that way after the meeting.

Old 08-29-2017, 12:02 AM

268 posts, read 283,406 times

Old 08-29-2017, 05:26 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
We have done that, though we used the Birkman Method. It has actually been helpful in understanding our coworkers and making it easier to work together with so many different personalities. It's perfectly legal and never been questioned in use for existing employees. We do not use it for potential job applicants. Like yours, it was amazingly accurate.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:18 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,085,450 times
It isn't a medical record. HIPAA wouldn't apply.

MBTI, DISC, and a host of others are decent tools. I think that they are best used as your company did, as part of a conversation intended to create understanding

Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,588,410 times
You personality isn't protected by anything. People can disclose it freely. If you don't like the way they conduct business then a new job might be the only answer. I've had to do similar at just about every job I've had.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:19 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,499,897 times
They don't bother me as much when its for people that are already hired. I don't care for them as pre-hire tools.

For existing employees, worst case scenario its a waste of a couple hours, best case its both fun and entertaining and helps you understand how to communicate/work with co-workers.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:03 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,005,246 times
More nonsense by idiotic employers to try and find any reason NOT to hire people who don't fit into their psychotic high school cliques even if the candidate can bring a ton of value to the company.

If the most important things are being potential beer/love buddies and being a "cultural fit" instead of being QUALIFIED, than your company probably doesn't deserve to be in business and you get what you deserve when you sink like the titanic.

These crackpot companies deserve no sympathy who operate like this and swirl into the winds of a turd toilet bowl at the end of the day

Old 08-29-2017, 10:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,588,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
More nonsense by idiotic employers to try and find any reason NOT to hire people who don't fit into their psychotic high school cliques even if the candidate can bring a ton of value to the company.

If the most important things are being potential beer/love buddies and being a "cultural fit" instead of being QUALIFIED, than your company probably doesn't deserve to be in business and you get what you deserve when you sink like the titanic.

These crackpot companies deserve no sympathy who operate like this and swirl into the winds of a turd toilet bowl at the end of the day
In this thread and in the instances being discussed, it is being done to people already hired but your tirade was fun to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment