Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 08:09 AM

12,863 posts, read 9,080,750 times

Advertisements

Ever notice on the office how two different people can do the same thing and one gets praise while the other gets punished? Fred does something outside the box and gets screamed at for not following procedure. Barney does the same thing and gets a bonus for innovative thinking. And how once a person gets tagged one way or the other it stays with them for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2017, 09:22 AM

2,910 posts, read 2,153,386 times
LOL, yeah i noticed this around 1st or 2nd grade. then it goes on your "permanent record". wonder where in the world that thing is nowadays?

Old 10-20-2017, 09:43 AM

9,881 posts, read 14,145,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Ever notice on the office how two different people can do the same thing and one gets praise while the other gets punished? Fred does something outside the box and gets screamed at for not following procedure. Barney does the same thing and gets a bonus for innovative thinking. And how once a person gets tagged one way or the other it stays with them for years.
Sounds like Fred skipped some important steps, and Barney simplified a process. Understanding what can be simplified, and knowing what can't be deleted is key.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:23 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,993,750 times
There's absolutely no accountability in the workplace anymore and most of them have spiraled into a mismanaged, disorganized joke where the inmates are running the asylum. It's been a race the bottom for a while now and we're close to hitting rock bottom

Old 10-20-2017, 10:39 AM

7,194 posts, read 9,339,263 times
Equifax has your "permanent record". It was hacked by the Chinese.

You're screwed.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:47 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,429,619 times
Quote:
It's according to how it's presented and done. If an employee did something and wasted company time on it that should have been spent wrapping up a delivery, then of course they're going to be upset. But if they make their delivery and get the extra project completed, then that's a win.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,875,040 times
It has to do with charm and personality. A project or idea delivered by someone who is charming, maybe kisses the important asses, makes them laugh or is more pleasant to be around, is going to almost always be given the better result.

It's the same way with job interviews. Two people with similar qualifications apply for the same position, the one who's more gracious, humble, charming normally gets it-- that's just life. IMO.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:22 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,470,241 times
I find it draws upon the "shoot the messenger" first, ask questions later.

I learned to "frame" the conversation or suggestions. No matter WHO spoke them.

Its part of being objective and learning to access ideas in a healthy manner.

And yes, there are different rules ...entirely based on age, gender, and "title".

Old 10-20-2017, 11:36 AM

12,863 posts, read 9,080,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Sounds like Fred skipped some important steps, and Barney simplified a process. Understanding what can be simplified, and knowing what can't be deleted is key.
Not the scenario I'm postulating at all. Seems some are viewing this from a just world fallacy where Fred must have done something wrong. Nope I'm talking identical in every respect except for how it's viewed. There is a lot to those who say appearances, and something about personality matter.

I remember reading a study done at one of the big companies in the 90s about early selection. The gist of it was those who were selected as future leaders had a halo effect that magnified even small successes to be larger than they objectively were and minimized their failures compared to their peers.

It's happening with coworkers. I track the metrics so I know the actual inputs and results. And I know that our supervisor has made up his mind about a couple coworkers when the actual measured results tell a different story. It's all on the manager's personality difference and not performance.

Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Not the scenario I'm postulating at all. Seems some are viewing this from a just world fallacy where Fred must have done something wrong. Nope I'm talking identical in every respect except for how it's viewed. There is a lot to those who say appearances, and something about personality matter.

I remember reading a study done at one of the big companies in the 90s about early selection. The gist of it was those who were selected as future leaders had a halo effect that magnified even small successes to be larger than they objectively were and minimized their failures compared to their peers.

It's happening with coworkers. I track the metrics so I know the actual inputs and results. And I know that our supervisor has made up his mind about a couple coworkers when the actual measured results tell a different story. It's all on the manager's personality difference and not performance.
Yes, totally.

One person makes a mistake and that person is a "****up". Another person makes a mistake, and 'it happens'.

In particular, one person in my office has made a niche for himself that he could probably screw up royally for a whole year before he started catching any flak for it. Me, OTOH ...

A lot of it has to do with ingrained trust. If you do a few projects and they turn out well, then the bosses will 'entrust you with the keys to the car' so to speak.

As a semi-manager myself, I try to be as fair as possible. I look at effort and eagerness more than mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment