Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,028,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
WHY does she need to get a house in the next 1-2 years? This is what I don’t understand. There is no requirement she do this. The housing market is also extremely high now and it seems unwise to buy. If she can get a promotion then she will make more money. This is just not an urgent situation.
Bc she's paying too much for rent. She can get a house for less, she already knows how to fix things, has male friends to help with other repairs, can get a roommate, can get a stable roof over her head, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 11:33 PM

15 posts, read 7,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Bc she's paying too much for rent. She can get a house for less, she already knows how to fix things, has male friends to help with other repairs, can get a roommate, can get a stable roof over her head, etc
Renting a single bedroom wouldn't be cheaper? I consider excessive 1500 a month for a rent. wow, that's a lot of money.

About the job i'd take undoubtedly the A option. Working +60h a week means no life for other things, you have to work in life but you also need to have leisure and free time!

Old 10-22-2017, 12:47 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,599,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I don't blame her at all. Rent is throwing money down a rathole.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:33 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,695,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosky View Post
Renting a single bedroom wouldn't be cheaper? I consider excessive 1500 a month for a rent. wow, that's a lot of money.

About the job i'd take undoubtedly the A option. Working +60h a week means no life for other things, you have to work in life but you also need to have leisure and free time!
Yeah, I live in the same area and don’t pay that much with a much higher salary. I also know that with the mortgage for a place on a $26k salary, you probably would not be in a great neighborhood and taxes here are out of control. The smartest option is to not pay $1500 a month. As a single person, there is no need to pay that much.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:00 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,450,695 times
I think she need to see which work environment will be more pleasant, sometimes less money is worth it especially if the company is ran by arrogant idiots. Choose peace and sanity of mind.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:20 AM

139 posts, read 130,050 times
Traveled to Florida 10 years ago for the first time.Fell in love with the climate. Worked almost 80 hours a week for 10 years, stress level and burnout were ridiculous.Managed to keep myself very healthy through exercise and diet.,blood pressure was borderline high though.Retired 2 years ago. I would never do it again.Life is too short,missed MANY family functions and holidays.
That being said,I am really enjoying my retirement.My advice,if you want to work a lot of hours,do it while you are young.Save your money,buy what you need ,not what you want and you will go far.I did it backwards.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:05 AM

119 posts, read 95,610 times
I've averaged at least 10-15 hrs overtime weekly at my current job over the last several years. I'm currently averaging 70-80 hours a week for months on end. Doesn't appear to be slowing either and if anything it's speeding up. The factory offers lots of OT. I'm afraid of leaving since I don't know if any plant or warehouse around here will offer that much OT if I leave. $18 + overtime is reaalll good. $18 with no overtime is crap. I think if I left I'd probably be back at $12/hr or somethin.

Old 11-12-2017, 03:42 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,558,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
I've averaged at least 10-15 hrs overtime weekly at my current job over the last several years. I'm currently averaging 70-80 hours a week for months on end. Doesn't appear to be slowing either and if anything it's speeding up. The factory offers lots of OT. I'm afraid of leaving since I don't know if any plant or warehouse around here will offer that much OT if I leave. $18 + overtime is reaalll good. $18 with no overtime is crap. I think if I left I'd probably be back at $12/hr or somethin.
If they can afford 10-15 hours of OT every week for several years you should consider renegotiating your base wage.

Capitalize on their want for your labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment