Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 08:44 PM

58 posts, read 135,051 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I wasn't sure if I should post something like this at all, but just wanted some unbiased opinions of you all on the situation...

Long story short - a relative of mine has been working for a company A for quite some time. She had her fair share of issues with the company, so she started looking for another job. This was in August.

A Company B (very huge nationwide company with various healthcare-related subsidiaries) responded and invited her to an interview. An interview apparently went well, so shortly after the hiring manager reached out to her with an email with congratulations and some instructions on what steps are coming next. At this point they discussed what specific shift this position was on (it was a morning shift) and a hiring manager asked her to fill some online forms and wait for a formal offer letter soon.

And now starts the funny part. Two weeks passed with no contact from the company. My relative emailed a hiring manager and quickly received another positive email saying the "offer is still on the table, don't worry" (almost verbatim). Satisfied, she was about to leave her previous job at that point after this email, but something stopped her... luckily.

Over the next month and a half the hiring manager kept reiterating the initial offer, but shifting a start date further and further. Every time she had different excuses from "glitch in the system" to "too many applicants and other hiring manager on vacation". Some time in October my relative asked a super-direct question like "Hey, cards of the table, if there IS an offer, I finally need it and I need a start date, if there is not - then we are done here".

Well, again there was just a reassuring email, but this time a hiring manager stated that all morning shift positions are somehow gone, so if she wanted this job, she needed to accept a graveyard shift position for the same pay and same other conditions. My relative was quite shocked with such a change and responded nothing - a few days later a manager followed up in quite a pushy way asking if she was still interested or not and, if not, to let her know.

---

So now the situation is as follows - my relative does not really need this position - there were some positive local leadership changes in Company A, so things are getting better there. Yet she is extremely upset with this experience with a hiring manager of a presumably reputable company. It's clear she's never ever going there, now or any time in future, especially for the graveyard shift, but after being put in such a nasty position (she could've easily quit her job after that "offer is still on the table" email ... and ended up with nothing) she's thinking of what realistic "revenge" she might have (no bodily injuries or property damages though lol)

---

I found an annual report of that company and there was an Internal Ethics Hotline listed there with encouragement to all employees of this company to report ANY ethical issues, but I am not sure they would be interested in such a report from a prospective employee and treat it seriously.

I also found LinkedIn profiles of a few VPs of that company that deal with Talent Acquisition with their direct emails, so I also suggested her writing a polite letter with screenshots of their Hiring Manager's e-mails.

Any other things she should look into? Any point in making this story a little more public with names? (Facebook, Reddit etc.?)

Now again - the goal is not to make the company make her an offer - she doesn't want it or need it with such an attitude now, the goal is mostly to make sure that such a practice of dealing with candidates' lives with ease does not become a common thing for the Company... She's also not looking for any kind of legal action against the company as even with a formal offer there was probably no legal obligation for a company to hire her... which still doesn't make such a practice any better.

Your advice is very appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:23 PM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
I'd say both your relative and this company dodged a bullet. Neither would be good for each other. What kind of job does she do that allows her to plot such revenge scenarios?

Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
my advice? let it go; they clearly didn't want to hire you.

Old 11-02-2017, 05:57 AM

609 posts, read 506,177 times
I'm sorry, but this is just pettiness. She should focus on her current job, her career and move her life forward. What exactly is she trying to gain from this? I really don't understand why people are sometimes so obsessed with others. Can't she just focus on her own life?

I have worked for companies, where a position was opened, interviews happened, and a very good candidate selected. Then orders came from the top to freeze hiring because of budget or bad numbers to report or some investors concerns or loss of big contracts. In the meantime, the hiring manager tries to work the channels to get exceptions to hire the talent ... this process takes time.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
Glassdoor. I think it is actually a good idea to send the information to their ethics inspectors. They could easily have ended up with a detrimental reliance lawsuit or a PR nighmare as several HR bimbos and other managers have conducted themselves in such a way as to cause public outrage.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:56 AM

3,092 posts, read 1,948,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
I'm sorry, but this is just pettiness. She should focus on her current job, her career and move her life forward. What exactly is she trying to gain from this? I really don't understand why people are sometimes so obsessed with others. Can't she just focus on her own life?

I have worked for companies, where a position was opened, interviews happened, and a very good candidate selected. Then orders came from the top to freeze hiring because of budget or bad numbers to report or some investors concerns or loss of big contracts. In the meantime, the hiring manager tries to work the channels to get exceptions to hire the talent ... this process takes time.
Way to carry water for a company that is clearly demonstrating a lack of integrity and good faith. Nice job.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,054,665 times
Walk away. Don’t waste time or energy on revenge.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:15 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,975 times
Incredible how stupid companies and HR are these days... Maybe the decline of America is in order since these kinda people dominate who's working.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:17 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Move on.

Old 11-02-2017, 07:26 AM

58 posts, read 135,051 times
Thanks a lot to everyone for replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Walk away. Don’t waste time or energy on revenge.
I agree in general and I would never advise anything more time consuming than sending a couple e-mails, making a few calls or posting a couple reviews. This should not take more than a few hours in total and I am fairly sure she lost comparable amount of time already on going back and forth with that hiring manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Glassdoor. I think it is actually a good idea to send the information to their ethics inspectors.(...)
Thank you! I absolutely forgot about Glassdoor even though I used it myself when I was looking for a job. I'll forward this to her!

Quote:
What exactly is she trying to gain from this? I really don't understand why people are sometimes so obsessed with others. Can't she just focus on her own life?
Nothing. And I am generally not a fan of "saw nothing, heard nothing, leave me alone" philosophy. Neither is she apparently :-)

Quote:
Sure it is possible, but in such a scenario I would expect a hiring manager to have an open conversation with a prospective candidate pointing him out (even without too much details) to this delay and explaining a chance of NOT getting hired after all.
And just to make it absolutely clear - when I heard of this story, my biggest problem was NOT about the fact of not being hired - this is totally fine - not all candidates get offers and not all offers are accepted, so there's a fair playing field here. The biggest problem here is a hiring manager blatantly lying about "an offer on the table" thus implicitly encouraging a person to make VERY important and life-changing decisions based on this information (quit from existing job, decline other offers... imagine if she needed to move for this job?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
my advice? let it go; they clearly didn't want to hire you.
Then my only question is why they didn't tell this upfront the minute they decided to go with someone else or maybe with eliminating position altogether :-)

Anyway, thanks again for good food for thought - Glassdoor is on the list now. I doubt I will be able to post any updates as nobody plans to really follow up on this issue, but I hope there might be some action within that company in response to such a complaint (even if it's just "Hey, YYY, don't do this again, people are unhappy and complain" call from that manager's superior)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment