Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:16 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,143 times

Advertisements

I'm going to come clean and say nothing really excites me. Nothing, not even things I used to love, gets any reaction from me, and I just want to sleep all day but can't because I'm an insomniac. I also perform poorly at work as a pharmacy tech, but always barely keep my job or get another job fairly quickly. I'm looking to get a masters of social work, because, to the extent a depressed person can want something, I want to help others and be useful. That said, I am mostly picking it because it is only another 2 years of school, pays better than pharmacy tech, and gets me out of the pharmacy, where I'm clearly more of a liability than an asset with my innattention to detail. I have explored other careers I could change to, but keep coming back to social work because it seems "least bad" and "most like what I do in my spare time, anyway". I can think of several compelling reasons not to do social work, but its better than what I do now and I know I need to work. Should I go for it anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 10:27 PM

46 posts, read 34,926 times
Social work is low paying. Pick something else like engineering, medicine, or law.

Most people hate their jobs. Just focus on the money.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:31 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post
Social work is low paying. Pick something else like engineering, medicine, or law.

Paths:

Teaching High School -- I can do this now if I do Louisiana Teacher Certification Process Made Easy

Masters of Social Work -- 2 more years of school and I could get in the federal government as a GS9, be GS11 a year later, be GS12 two years after that if I get a lcsw, then try to get into a supervisor position after that.

Law--3 more years of school, massive debt, and uncertain ROI. High risk, but high payoff if I score.

Medicine--I'm already working in a peon job in a pharmacy, and I get called out on careless mistakes a dozen times a day. I'm also fairly innefficient. If I went this route, I'd go psychiatrist or neurologist. That said, I'd need 2 more years of undergraduate science to bolster my science background and then 4 years med school. Carribean Med school sounds promising, but still is a lot more debt than I'm comfortable with. High debt, potentially a high reward.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:30 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,927,409 times
Find a job that pays and use that to fund whatever you like doing when not working. Very, very few people are fortunate enough to be able to work in their passion area and make money doing it like being an artist, a musician, or a car racing driver.

Old 11-05-2017, 03:56 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Building trades. There are plenty of jobs and pay can be good.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:03 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,630,260 times
Please forgive my saying so, but you claim you have "inattention to detail". I would think that that would disqualify you from a career in law or medicine, fields that are known for their reliance upon details.

Have you thought about working for yourself?

Old 11-05-2017, 04:17 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,731,911 times
Social work can be very mentally and emotionally draining. You need to get your depression under control. Do that first, then see how you feel about various career paths.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:07 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,125,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I'm going to come clean and say nothing really excites me. Nothing, not even things I used to love, gets any reaction from me, and I just want to sleep all day but can't because I'm an insomniac. I also perform poorly at work as a pharmacy tech, but always barely keep my job or get another job fairly quickly. I'm looking to get a masters of social work, because, to the extent a depressed person can want something, I want to help others and be useful. That said, I am mostly picking it because it is only another 2 years of school, pays better than pharmacy tech, and gets me out of the pharmacy, where I'm clearly more of a liability than an asset with my innattention to detail. I have explored other careers I could change to, but keep coming back to social work because it seems "least bad" and "most like what I do in my spare time, anyway". I can think of several compelling reasons not to do social work, but its better than what I do now and I know I need to work. Should I go for it anyway?
No, your "clients" would depress you further. Get a job pushing shopping carts back to the store. Fresh air and no contact with the public.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:19 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Contact your career counselor at your intended school of study.

Transfer of credits may send you further in debt towards incompatibility in the job field you wish to endure.

Since social fields is a broad spectrum and not always directly in contact with humans...you may fair ok.

In my area a pharmacist makes 40k avg. I would think a person could more then survive on that...

Old 11-05-2017, 06:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,286,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post

It's kind of pointless to simply point people at professions that require 90th to 95th percentile intellectual capability to do the job.

For most people, the place to point them that pays well with moderate motivation and talent is a trade job nobody else wants to do. Example: Commercial HVAC where you're up on the roof fixing/replacing something that is broken when it's 110F and -20F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment