Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,431 times

Advertisements

Like I said before, no job sounds GREAT to me, but this job pays better than pharmacy tech, so I'm thinking I might do this while I think about what I want to do with the rest of my life. I'm only 21, so I still have time. I should add that I have a lot of coursework in sociology, as that was my 2nd major (after nursing, but before education and general humanities).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 10:45 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,812,821 times
you mean a CO? u got to deal wit inmates allday and u got to know more then school experience.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 AM

45,529 posts, read 60,760,162 times
You can become a jail guard with a GED.

Sorry, but if that's your career goal you've wasted your education.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:58 AM

6,463 posts, read 9,837,889 times
if you physically cannot join the military I doubt you would pass the physical requirements for a CO.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 AM

Who knows, the alt cert program to teach is only $450. I might just do that. At least that sound mildly interesting. To be honest though, the real fun will come from tge monay I earn, not the job I have...I just want to be comfortable and get out of pharmacy. Pharmacy sucks ass.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:02 AM

359 posts, read 302,663 times
What were you planning to do with a degree in general studies and humanities?

How about taking some criminal justice courses as you explore the possibility of becoming a corrections officer?

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedonaverde View Post
What were you planning to do with a degree in general studies and humanities?

How about taking some criminal justice courses as you explore the possibility of becoming a corrections officer?
It was a last minute desperate degree to finish in 4 years. Getting that full ride scholarship was probably one of the worst things that could of happened to me, since it made me waste 4 years of my life I'll never get back. College is a joke. I knew all that stuff already. Everything dumbed down to the lowest common denominator these days.

That said, I suppose A degree is better than NO degree, even if the degree is in nothing in particular.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:19 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,328,796 times
You can be a CO with a GED. CJ classes aren't going to help you any. You would probably be an atypical candidate because, in my experience, most COs don't have degrees. Depending on where you are at, it can be a stable job with decent pay and benefits. It is a 24/7 job, and it can be dangerous.

Old 11-08-2017, 11:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,857,800 times
You are young and just getting started, but, do you really think that "paying better than a Pharmacy Tech" or "getting a last minute desperation degree" is going to be enough to base your career and life on? You have a lot of options open to you, many of which may not be on your radar at this point.

Also, having ministered in prisons, street missions and halfway houses for many years, I wonder if you grasp the realities of the CO role. It's less about coursework in sociology or nursing and education, and more about the requisite mindset and personality.

Instead of asking people on CD whether they think you have the education, you will learn more if you contact a prison in your state and ask them to talk with you about a career in corrections (It also might not hurt to visit a prison).

Old 11-08-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You are young and just getting started, but, do you really think that "paying better than a Pharmacy Tech" or "getting a last minute desperation degree" is going to be enough to base your career and life on? You have a lot of options open to you, many of which may not be on your radar at this point.

Also, having ministered in prisons, street missions and halfway houses for many years, I wonder if you grasp the realities of the CO role. It's less about coursework in sociology or nursing and education, and more about the requisite mindset and personality.

Instead of asking people on CD whether they think you have the education, you will learn more if you contact a prison in your state and ask them to talk with you about a career in corrections (It also might not hurt to visit a prison).
nevermind, then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment