Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 06:37 AM

50,950 posts, read 36,646,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It's been mentioned on a couple of your threads for you to see a counselor and I'll write it again, you really need to sit down with someone who can help you figure out a path. You are all over the place with career ideas, social work, teaching, peace corps and now prison work. Find someone who can help you work through it all and come up with a real plan. The problem is NOT your degree! I can't stress that enough.

There is no stigma against your degree in the real world, it's a great starting point and there are so many things you can do and many companies that will hire you. Do not listen to the "useless" degree garbage people spew on the internet. I understand what it's like to be confused and uncertain about your future, many people are in the same boat but a bunch of stragers on the internet aren't really going to be able to help you figure this out.
I believe astrophysicist popped up in another thread a week or so ago, too. I second career counseling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,159,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
You sure you can handle mother rapers, father stabbers, father rapers and all the other mean, ugly, nasty, horrible types you find in a prison?
It's not Otis & Ernest T. Bass in there.
at least they are all on the group W bench.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:38 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,341,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
if you physically cannot join the military I doubt you would pass the physical requirements for a CO.
LMAO, in my area the physical requirements to be a corrections officer are: be alive and able to pass a drug test. They will literally hire any human with a pulse for these jobs. In terms of careers it is about a half step above fast food.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:49 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,812,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Gaggles come in the pharmacy all the time, but as far as supervising kids, its been a while.
Forget this profession its deff not for you. U just should find a profession and stay there. You got it better then lot of ppl with pharmacy work. doctors and pharmacists make lot of dinero, also. Making quick important decisions is critical in police/corrections work and u can't do that. good luck

Old 11-09-2017, 04:19 PM

233 posts, read 243,851 times
Do the Pharmacy Tech gig... Embrace the struggle it will get better

For me I went into Corrections 6 yrs ago after doing 5 yrs of Active Duty Army

I have no degree (But I am working on it)

My monthly schedule

Army Reserves SGT *2 days a month ($300)
Correctional Lt *15 days a month ($3,435.33)
Substitute Teacher for 6-8 days a month (+$720)

Depending where you are from Pharmacy Tech makes the same amount as a fresh Correctional Officer. You probably work less hrs.

Keep in mind after doing all that during the day I have to take college courses at night so I can have a back up plan if this Correctional officer career doesn't last. (Most Correctional officer quit well before their PENSION DATE often because of health reasons. Its your call and your life.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:51 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,603,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.910nc View Post
Do the Pharmacy Tech gig... Embrace the struggle it will get better

For me I went into Corrections 6 yrs ago after doing 5 yrs of Active Duty Army

I have no degree (But I am working on it)

My monthly schedule

Army Reserves SGT *2 days a month ($300)
Correctional Lt *15 days a month ($3,435.33)
Substitute Teacher for 6-8 days a month (+$720)

Depending where you are from Pharmacy Tech makes the same amount as a fresh Correctional Officer. You probably work less hrs.

Keep in mind after doing all that during the day I have to take college courses at night so I can have a back up plan if this Correctional officer career doesn't last. (Most Correctional officer quit well before their PENSION DATE often because of health reasons. Its your call and your life.
I only get 13/hour as a pharm tech, so you come out way ahead of me. That said, more than just the crappy pay, I just hate the job, too.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:48 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,377,101 times
Well, in California, the COs are unionized - in fact, they're one of the most powerful political forces in the state (the California Correctional Peace Officers Association) - so they have pretty decent pay and very good benefits. I don't know what state you're in, but it might not be as good for the COs there.

However, the point is, do you have the right mindset and personality to be a CO? It's not an easy thing. And if you've mentioned that you have some physical issues, not to mention some mental health matters, it's might not be for you.

Seems like you're taking a scattershot approach to finding a career. Again, go talk to a professional in ANY field you're considering for advice.

Old 11-13-2017, 06:17 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,998,550 times
Why waste time and money on a degree of you just want to be a corrections officer? Which isn't the most glamorous job in the world either. You should shoot for bigger if you have a bachelors

Old 11-13-2017, 06:43 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,932,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Why waste time and money on a degree of you just want to be a corrections officer? Which isn't the most glamorous job in the world either. You should shoot for bigger if you have a bachelors

If you have a computer science degree that would be one thing, but a general studies/humanities degree often leads to jobs that you just need a HS diploma for.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:39 AM

35,120 posts, read 31,396,457 times
I would never want to be a CO. Dealing with a lot of scum for that level of pay is not my idea of a good job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment