Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:59 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,217,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I started with a semester of nursing, but then went to sociology because social work was my next idea, but then I wanted to do teaching, but my granmother died and I was grieving too much to do the course work, so I wanted to go back to sociology but couldn't because I only had 4 free years. So I got general studies...there's so much stigma against that degree, though, I wonder if it was worth missing out on all the money I could have saved working full time.

Honestly, I'm so thoroughly burnt-out on my current job, that nothing sounds great. What I want right now is a vacation, but really can't afford that.
It's been mentioned on a couple of your threads for you to see a counselor and I'll write it again, you really need to sit down with someone who can help you figure out a path. You are all over the place with career ideas, social work, teaching, peace corps and now prison work. Find someone who can help you work through it all and come up with a real plan. The problem is NOT your degree! I can't stress that enough.

There is no stigma against your degree in the real world, it's a great starting point and there are so many things you can do and many companies that will hire you. Do not listen to the "useless" degree garbage people spew on the internet. I understand what it's like to be confused and uncertain about your future, many people are in the same boat but a bunch of stragers on the internet aren't really going to be able to help you figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 05:24 PM

46 posts, read 34,980 times
My aunt worked as a corrections officer for a short time and told me some horrible stories. She had feces thrown at her, was sexually harassed regularly by the inmates, including masturbation with obscenities shouted when she would walk by the cells. There also were some truly crazy inmates, including one who screamed nonsense all day.

If you want to deal with that for around $15/hour, more power to you.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,609,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It's been mentioned on a couple of your threads for you to see a counselor and I'll write it again, you really need to sit down with someone who can help you figure out a path. You are all over the place with career ideas, social work, teaching, peace corps and now prison work. Find someone who can help you work through it all and come up with a real plan. The problem is NOT your degree! I can't stress that enough.

There is no stigma against your degree in the real world, it's a great starting point and there are so many things you can do and many companies that will hire you. Do not listen to the "useless" degree garbage people spew on the internet. I understand what it's like to be confused and uncertain about your future, many people are in the same boat but a bunch of stragers on the internet aren't really going to be able to help you figure this out.
Well, at least I know a liitle about what I want.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:33 PM

901 posts, read 750,633 times
With your lack of ability to make a decision, I can foresee you being shanked and sold for a carton of cigarettes on your first day. The Squirrel Master won't be there when Nasty Nate comes for you

Old 11-08-2017, 06:27 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,904,084 times
Quote:
Who knows, the alt cert program to teach is only $450. I might just do that. At least that sound mildly interesting. To be honest though, the real fun will come from tge monay I earn, not the job I have...I just want to be comfortable and get out of pharmacy. Pharmacy sucks ass.
Don't go into teaching if you have that mindset. Youth are energy vampires so if you don't actually like teaching and have enthusiasm for it, you will be miserable. I'm not saying every teacher needs to be Mrs. Frizzle, but it's not really a suitable "backup plan" career unless you do have a genuine interest in being a full-time educator of kids.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:28 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,175,943 times
Show a little respect for the profession. They are Correction Officers not jailers.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Don't go into teaching if you have that mindset. Youth are energy vampires so if you don't actually like teaching and have enthusiasm for it, you will be miserable. I'm not saying every teacher needs to be Mrs. Frizzle, but it's not really a suitable "backup plan" career unless you do have a genuine interest in being a full-time educator of kids.
I do like kids...but mostly older kids...REALLY little kids scare me a little.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:36 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,904,084 times
Quote:
I do like kids...but mostly older kids...REALLY little kids scare me a little.
Well, I didn't say "like kids." Most people like kids - it's not really the same thing as liking to teaching kids, let alone formally teaching kids. When's the last time you spent substantial time around children you're not related to, though?

Old 11-08-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Well, I didn't say "like kids." Most people like kids - it's not really the same thing as liking to teaching kids, let alone formally teaching kids. When's the last time you spent substantial time around children you're not related to, though?
Gaggles come in the pharmacy all the time, but as far as supervising kids, its been a while.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:37 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,115,841 times
You sure you can handle mother rapers, father stabbers, father rapers and all the other mean, ugly, nasty, horrible types you find in a prison?
It's not Otis & Ernest T. Bass in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment