Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 01:01 PM

881 posts, read 621,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
The main reason for that however isn't necessarily that they are smarter, but that there is only a short period when they are truly free to think. In that short time between a professor demanding all their effort on his work or the dissertation and before they get married, have children, get put on committees, pulled in a hundred different directions. I've lived that cycle in my own life and seen it in others.
While I don't doubt that what you say occurs actually does occur, we're talking about "tech workers" and not professors. Indeed, I read about professors making discoveries of all kinds practically all the time -- though they're likely using teams of much younger grad students, typically!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
With all due respect, we're not talking about "smarts" at the level of world-class chess player or Nobel-winning mathematicians here. Maybe at that point in the continuum you've done your best work by 30 but that's certainly not the case for programming. You can be burned out by being used but your brain hasn't slowed yet to the point of being worthless. A decade of experience has to outweigh a few milliseconds of reaction time.
Just explaining the tech industry's penchant for "younger"...plus, let's face it; when we were young, we generally preferred even just looking at fellow "youngins," too -- didn't we?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Andrew Wiles is in his 60s. He just solved Fermat's Last Theorem in 2014.
Well, yes, outliers abound, to be sure.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
She quit. There's nothing wrong with that. Most people will eventually get bored of their careers and retire or switch positions. In school, I was surprised to meet teachers that had different careers before teaching. I had a millionaire small business owner that was bored with business and started teaching English in high school. I had an ex-cop as a history teacher. I have met IT people that switch careers from the finance side. It's normal, we get bored and we are free to switch.

We don't have to suck it up and stay in career for the next 30 years.
Problem is that in the tech industry there's a really big deal of ageism, I've read...personally I've experienced ageism in other sectors of the economy.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,163,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessLoser View Post
Problem is that in the tech industry there's a really big deal of ageism, I've read...personally I've experienced ageism in other sectors of the economy.
Thank goodness, I don't have to work in the tech industry to be in a tech career. There are many coding jobs outside of the tech industry. Take a look at any IT department from the Fortune 500 and the largest employers.

I am working with guys in their 50's and 60's on Hadoop development. I am in my 40's.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:18 PM

901 posts, read 751,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Thank goodness, I don't have to work in the tech industry to be in a tech career. There are many coding jobs outside of the tech industry. Take a look at any IT department from the Fortune 500 and the largest employers.

I am working with guys in their 50's and 60's on Hadoop development. I am in my 40's.
Yup, this^^. But you won't convince the depressives here who read too much Internets and think robots are gonna take der jerbs

Old 11-27-2017, 06:41 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,795,733 times
Default All Jobs Will be Done By Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Yup, this^^. But you won't convince the depressives here who read too much Internets and think robots are gonna take der jerbs
I guess that you are calling "depressives" automation experts and engineers who conceptualize and design automation software and hardware. They wholeheartedly agree that full automation is coming and that ALL jobs are going to be done with computers, robots, and other machines. This isn't science fiction, it is reality.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:45 PM

901 posts, read 751,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I guess that you are calling "depressives" automation experts and engineers who conceptualize and design automation software and hardware. They wholeheartedly agree that full automation is coming and that ALL jobs are going to be done with computers, robots, and other machines. This isn't science fiction, it is reality.
Sure buddy, sure.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:56 PM

5,125 posts, read 2,795,733 times
Quote:
Sure buddy, sure.
Don't take my word for it. Do some research. Automation is coming.

Old 11-28-2017, 03:05 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,601,215 times
Quote:
It's ironic you post that in response to someone talking about Hadoop - a stack that is literally helping techies invent their way out of jobs.

We're very good at that in the tech industry. Automate almost everything, streamline almost everything else. Dirty little secret: We actually don't even need low level coders anymore - machine learning has progressed enough to where we can actually get Watson to code if we want. The only reason that hasn't completely obliterated the low level programmer market is because companies realize that if they kill off the bottom of the ecosystem, those people will never grow to competence levels robots can't yet replicate. As soon as machine learning can replicate those people as well, you're going to see a machete taken to the forest of tech.

It's already kind of happened in the operations/hardware space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment