Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 03:26 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,903,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
But the bored, intellectually disinterested people are necessary. Someone's gotta do the boring work. Support. Grunt coding. The superstars are not gonna stick around to hammer out tons of repetitive code.

I feel there's a few types of people that are doing the boring work: 1) Those that want to put in their hours and go home 2) consultants 3) and those who can't move up to make design and development decisions. The author is clearly not 1) or 2)...
If you're intellectually disinterested in IT, then you belong in some other jobs. (not YOU, specifically - you don't work for me LOL).

I don't pay people to watch a defect in a loop or keep erroring out and you sitting sucking your thumb or texting your buddies, or trolling internet videos watching failed output. I had a Project Leader contractor LITERALLY tell me "Large customers don't pay with cash" when the leg of the system which processes and journalizes revenue kept failing. We called it "Cash, Treatment and Journals".

CASH AS IN "PAYMENTS", Rocket Scientist. And she never even thought to ASK ME why that leg kept failing all throughout testing. AND she wasn't one of the Russians haha.

I don't have a problem with employees doing boring work. Of course some of EVERYONE'S work is "boring'. You can be bored but you better be a hell of a good technician and communicator, IME.

I said I didn't want those who "were bored" on my Product Team.

You don't have grunt jobs on a Product Team. They are the leadership roles who you rely on to motivate, implement and have success on their own teams - including the bored ones. It's their job to motivate THEIR employees, not mine. It's also their job to make success happen across subsystems including users. Good luck with that anyway, let alone of you had a bunch of problem people in leadership roles.

Which is WHY our billing was so screwed up to begin with. The IT Director LITERALLY TOLD ME "Our large accounts don't care if they don't receive bills."

What an idiot. Gail McGovern had him fired over the weekend after that comment.

No, you better not be BORED on MY huge project or you're not gonna be on it in the core team.

Once I asked a developer to "Start the onlines, please".

When I logged in there were no data bases. So I call her (note: HER) and said "Annemarie, I can't do anything there aren't any data bases."

Her reply? "OH, you didn't ask for data bases".

She was one of the ones I actually thought...up until that time...was an outgoing communicator.

NOPE.

I've got a million of these stories haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 08:13 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It's ironic you post that in response to someone talking about Hadoop - a stack that is literally helping techies invent their way out of jobs.

We're very good at that in the tech industry. Automate almost everything, streamline almost everything else. Dirty little secret: We actually don't even need low level coders anymore - machine learning has progressed enough to where we can actually get Watson to code if we want. The only reason that hasn't completely obliterated the low level programmer market is because companies realize that if they kill off the bottom of the ecosystem, those people will never grow to competence levels robots can't yet replicate. As soon as machine learning can replicate those people as well, you're going to see a machete taken to the forest of tech.

It's already kind of happened in the operations/hardware space.
The company's tech headcount is a few hundred people higher today than years ago, when they had no Hadoop. My little team has gone from 2 guys to 6 guys in the last 12 months. The first guy was promoted to manager.

Thirty years ago, I remember pundits predicting less need for paperwork with more technology. There are enough federal tax regulations written can bury several men under their weight, and more lawmaker, aides, lawyers, and admin staff to create those regulations than ever.

Last edited by move4ward; 11-28-2017 at 09:05 PM..

Old 11-28-2017, 10:23 PM

537 posts, read 598,259 times
Programming is by its very nature anti-repetitive.

We use loops to avoid having to write the same thing X number of times. We use functions and class methods to avoid having to re-implement the same functionality over and over again. We use frameworks and libraries to avoid having to re-build common features over and over again.

Duplication of code is one of the biggest taboos with software development.

The only thing potentially repetitive about writing code might be having to explain the same concepts over and over again to clients or the people on your team who don't code.

Old 11-29-2017, 03:58 AM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
The company's tech headcount is a few hundred people higher today than years ago, when they had no Hadoop. My little team has gone from 2 guys to 6 guys in the last 12 months. The first guy was promoted to manager.

Thirty years ago, I remember pundits predicting less need for paperwork with more technology. There are enough federal tax regulations written can bury several men under their weight, and more lawmaker, aides, lawyers, and admin staff to create those regulations than ever.
Yup IT keeps growing. We've been automating things since the 80's, yet still growing. I remember in the 90's people saying there wouldn't be a need for help desk/desktop support because users would become too tech savvy. Yet, users keep getting dumber, they only know how to use their "apps" and that is about it and they waste time watching cat videos and Instagram. The pay is lower in these types of jobs due to the field being saturated, but the amount of jobs is on par with pre-2000 levels. Another one is sys admins, with cloud there is more need now for Cloud Architects/Cloud Admins(really they are just system admins who know how to use the GUI and tools of AWS or Azure, but the tasks of a sys admin are the same). Will have to wait and see how the Net Neutrality decision affects cloud usage. I could go on, but it doesn't fit the negativity narrative of this forum

Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Programming is by its very nature anti-repetitive.

We use loops to avoid having to write the same thing X number of times. We use functions and class methods to avoid having to re-implement the same functionality over and over again. We use frameworks and libraries to avoid having to re-build common features over and over again.

Duplication of code is one of the biggest taboos with software development.

The only thing potentially repetitive about writing code might be having to explain the same concepts over and over again to clients or the people on your team who don't code.
They also copy code of Stack Exchange

Old 11-29-2017, 04:34 PM

828 posts, read 693,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I hear ya. Most IT departments are full of deadweights that are still stuck in .NET and JAVA world. Especially the ones at larger old fashion companies that still use the term "IT department".
IT departments are full of the happiest works in the country...Why are you going on about things you know nothing about? Literally NO ONE who is a developer prefers HTML/CSS to real programming languages. I should screen shot your comments to make a fool of you on reddit...

Old 12-02-2017, 11:01 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,356,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
IT departments are full of the happiest works in the country...Why are you going on about things you know nothing about? Literally NO ONE who is a developer prefers HTML/CSS to real programming languages. I should screen shot your comments to make a fool of you on reddit...
Reading through this, it appears that you're the one who doesn't know about the tech field. While HTML/CSS aren't functional/OO programming languages, plenty of developers prefer it. But I don't think that the other poster was suggesting it's better than functional programming languages.

He does have a point about .Net and Java. I mean, it's not the 90s anymore and the field has moved on from those mistakes (albeit, with a lot of tech debt still in place). Scala, GO, Node, Rust, Ruby, Swift, etc. have taken over. I'd complain about being a software developer if I was stuck in the .NET/Java world.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
They also copy code of Stack Exchange
Why reinvent the wheel? If I need to get all the label controls on a page why waste time writing and debugging something to recurse down the tree if I can plug in an extension found on Stack or CodeProject? I always give full source attribution whether requested or not.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
That's the problem with every job.

I spent 4 years in college studying alot of amazing things about accounting. But, I only used 1% of it at my first job over and over and over again.

I remember this family guy episode where someone was working in an assembly line. His job was to attached a heads to action figures.... IT FELT EXACTLY LIKE THAT!!

Maybe the author will be happier if he switched to a smaller company where his job will play a larger role and get to do a little bit everything. it worked for me
That's why I got out of accounting. Christ was it boring.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:51 AM

901 posts, read 747,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
That's why I got out of accounting. Christ was it boring.
As part of my BS in IT, I had to take a few accounting classes..............literally would have rather drove forks into my eyes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment