Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 01:50 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,396,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

My first job paid $13.25 (office) to start.

Second paid $14.00 (landscaping). Wasn't at college yet.

In college I got offered a job at $7.50 (retail). I passed. Wasn't worth getting out of bed.

I got offered another at $9.50 (office). Same as above.

I went self employed. Bill out $50-$100/hr for my time. Bill out $50-$100/hr per person that works for me.

I don't even have to get out of bed during the week, can still make a four figure income for the week.

I start people at $15/hr.

and you are doing good, that the whole point right there, if you cant get a job making more than minimum wages, well maybe you are too stupid to be working
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 02:55 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
Why do people think they are worth $50, $75, $100, $200, or $300 an hour?
Because that's what someone will pay for their services/skills/whatever.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
As an entrepreneur/small business owner, I sometimes need to hire help. When I do, I absolutely don't hire the cheapest person I can find. That would be a complete disaster! Instead, I pay a fair wage to someone who I know will be able to get the job done well and on time. I've dealt with people who would do the job for a third of what I was offering, and they were unreliable. Lesson learned.
I know a small business owner who says the same, plus he knows his employees will stick around since he pays decent wages. Perhaps you don't have a need for year round help, so that's irrelevant.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:42 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your idealism shows. Anyone can start a business without obligations to anyone. Do you really think every business has shareholders? Have you ever heard of businesses starting in someone's garage, spare bedroom, or basement? Many businesses start with no source of income until they make their first sale or provide their first services. Think about any new service company such as a law firm, architect, or a business such as a contractor. They first need to establish a base of satisfied customers to use as references before they have any income.

Again your statements about what a business is shows your idealism or naivety.

Are you really serious about this statement?
And that attitude is exactly what's wrong with businesses today.

What business has ever survived by screwing its customers?

Today businesses that are surviving by screwing its employees are still only doing business because the federal government picks up the slack. I'd love to open a Walmart type business next to Walmart if the government cut welfare and food stamps. I'd offer those people $15 an hour and they'd be leaving Walmart by the droves to work for me.

The thing is, if you start a business only to make money out of it, it's not going to last that long. Sure, you may make a pile of money before it implodes, but there's a name for people who come into town, grab all the money the townspeople have to offer, and take off again. It's called a scam.

Think about it. You have a business that you can be proud of, build up, leave to your kids. A business that may outlast you and leave a name behind. But you'd rather take it and rape all the profits out of it and let it fail in just a decade, only for money? That's pretty short sighted, don't you think?

Let me put it another way: if I want something done, like say an addition built on my house, who do you think I'm going to go to - the guy who says they can build it fast and cheap (gee, I wonder why and how), or the guy who takes pride in his work and backs it up, even if he's a little more expensive?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Except you dont want to pay for a robot .....

I am all for automation but when the rubber meets the road companies are too cheap and greedy to ever implement very much automation, they like to use it as a dishonest scare tactic that they either cant or are not willing to actually deliver on because in reality they dont like the price tag on the robot or the cost of upkeep. And automation is not really coming down in price because its highly complex and people that can do it would rather leave it on the bench than give it away (at least i would) or demand 25% of the companies sales right off the top and if they go bankrupt or cant meet a ceritan minimum dollar amount I take all my equipment back.

Baloney. My last 3 corps reduced staffing by a few thousand across dozens of subsidiaries over about a 5 year period, investing hundreds of millions. Payback years were quite reasonable. Laid off few, as we simply let vacancies pile up, then did not backfill them. Still same fewer heads on the payroll.

We always purchased it outright. The manufacturer never got a share of revenue.

Old 11-27-2017, 06:59 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
But NYC and LA already impose a minimum wage higher than what is Federally-mandated. In NYC, It's currently $11, or $10.50 if 10 or less employees. In LA it's $12, or $10 with 25 or less employees. A number of cities and states across the country impose a minimum wage higher than the Federal minimum.

Unless the Feds were to raise the minimum wage nationally to something like $11-$13 or more per hour tomorrow, it wouldn't mean anything to minimum wage workers in some geographic areas like those above.
I'm not sure what you're getting at. My only point is that you have to be careful what you raise a federally-mandated minimum wage to, because it can drastically affect lower COL areas where profit margins are much tighter. A drastic increase to $15/hr. would likely result in mass reductions in force across the US, particularly in the lower COL areas where businesses can't afford to pay that much and stay afloat. I think with this particular type of issue, you need to let it be up to the states or localities to decide, so they can tie the increase to the local COL.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:03 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Baloney. My last 3 corps reduced staffing by a few thousand across dozens of subsidiaries over about a 5 year period, investing hundreds of millions. Payback years were quite reasonable. Laid off few, as we simply let vacancies pile up, then did not backfill them. Still same fewer heads on the payroll.

We always purchased it outright. The manufacturer never got a share of revenue.
That's what happens when the equipment is fully or partially made in china with no tarrifs to off set the intellectual property theft.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:09 PM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Because corporate taxes don't need to be cut.

Small business America though, can use some help. They're the backbone of the country, not corporate America.
Most corporations are small businesses. Cutting the corporate tax rate helps small businesses.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:17 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
That's what happens when the equipment is fully or partially made in china with no tarrifs to off set the intellectual property theft.
Most of it was US made, but most important, it functioned beautifully, helping us increase profits with a great ROI.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Most corporations are small businesses. Cutting the corporate tax rate helps small businesses.
Most small businesses are pass through entities, such as LLCs or sub S corporations. Corporate tax rates are irrelevant to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment