Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 PM

1,188 posts, read 959,399 times

Advertisements

Does anyone else work in an environment like this? Everyone is so focused on their personal performance (which is not their own fault; it's necessary for survival) that it roadblocks other people.

For example, let's say Person A has an issue that he can resolve himself in 20 hours or can be resolved in 5 minutes if he gets help from Person B. Good luck getting Person B to find 5 minutes that he feels he can lend. Because Person B, like you, is overbooked with his own work and can't risk not completing it by the target date.

It's worse when there's an actual roadblock. For example, you can't move on until Person B sends you a file he has, and you emailed him about it but he didn't respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 08:06 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,118,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Does anyone else work in an environment like this? Everyone is so focused on their personal performance (which is not their own fault; it's necessary for survival) that it roadblocks other people.

For example, let's say Person A has an issue that he can resolve himself in 20 hours or can be resolved in 5 minutes if he gets help from Person B. Good luck getting Person B to find 5 minutes that he feels he can lend. Because Person B, like

It's worse when there's an actual roadblock. For edample
Yep, I should have done this and I would not be laid off right now. I tried to be a team player and it did not work out, if I were person B now I woudl make you take the 20 hrs and look incompetent, especially if we are in the midst of lay offs. I would not come right out and say it, I would say oh man the boss wants me to get things other thing done ASAP and I cant, etc.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:55 PM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Yep. My current environment. Mad rush, go, go, go all day with no direction. Like a bunch of little six year olds playing soccer -- everyone running around like crazy kicking at anything that moves but absolutely no concept of team play and working together to get the goal.

I've concluded that management likes it that way and keeps the pot boiling. Either to hide their own incompetence or in some misguided belief in competition.

Old 11-01-2017, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Yep. My current environment. Mad rush, go, go, go all day with no direction. Like a bunch of little six year olds playing soccer -- everyone running around like crazy kicking at anything that moves but absolutely no concept of team play and working together to get the goal.

I've concluded that management likes it that way and keeps the pot boiling. Either to hide their own incompetence or in some misguided belief in competition.
Yep and you better play the game or your out the door. I think alot of these "buisnesses" are not really buisness at all but rather the filthy riches entertainment, I think alot of people are being hired on to be the modern day equivalent of a court jester. I bet they have little cameras and microphones set up and they are sitting a cocobolo paneled room in the alps sipping scotch with some cigars laughing their a$$es off. What do they care about your 40k a year they have billions.

Ope, looks like little timmy there is not playing the game, put him on a list and once they have accumulated like 30-40 people they send out that list to a regional manager in an email to have a "lay off", get some new people in that will jump around and be stressed out, the filthy rich can log in and see the guy staying till 8pm looking like he wants to kill himself and get their jollys.

Thats the sick world we live in, how many people have jobs that have either very little or no value what so ever. Stuff that could be done by robots or stuff that does not need to be done at all, yet there are millions of people doing it .... let that sink in. How do SOME companies keep high turn over and disfunction and never go out of buisness? It is a private reality show for the owners.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,842 times
I think pittflyer's gotta good idea of what's going on!

Maybe there's already too much automation and A.I. and supercomputing that does all the work, and those who are employed are all for show!

Old 11-01-2017, 11:11 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep and you better play the game or your out the door. I think alot of these "buisnesses" are not really buisness at all but rather the filthy riches entertainment, I think alot of people are being hired on to be the modern day equivalent of a court jester. I bet they have little cameras and microphones set up and they are sitting a cocobolo paneled room in the alps sipping scotch with some cigars laughing their a$$es off. What do they care about your 40k a year they have billions.

Ope, looks like little timmy there is not playing the game, put him on a list and once they have accumulated like 30-40 people they send out that list to a regional manager in an email to have a "lay off", get some new people in that will jump around and be stressed out, the filthy rich can log in and see the guy staying till 8pm looking like he wants to kill himself and get their jollys.

Thats the sick world we live in, how many people have jobs that have either very little or no value what so ever. Stuff that could be done by robots or stuff that does not need to be done at all, yet there are millions of people doing it .... let that sink in. How do SOME companies keep high turn over and disfunction and never go out of buisness? It is a private reality show for the owners.

I gotta say I highly doubt the elites care enough about the peons to get any enjoyment out of their stress or discomfort. The struggles of the little people are an irrelevancy, not a source of satisfaction. Only hubris would cause a functional cog to think it is noticed by those who own the machine.

Old 11-01-2017, 09:35 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,100,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post

For example, let's say Person A has an issue that he can resolve himself in 20 hours or can be resolved in 5 minutes if he gets help from Person B. Good luck getting Person B to find 5 minutes that he feels he can lend. Because Person B, like you, is overbooked with his own work and can't risk not completing it by the target date.

It's worse when there's an actual roadblock. For example, you can't move on until Person B sends you a file he has, and you emailed him about it but he didn't respond.
It's more dependent on individual employees than the company as a whole.

Where I work, the goal is to have work, to do, because if you're slow ... you be gone.

One guy I work with, is actually a good guy and he will help you with questions, but hoards work and absolutely refuses to give any up even if he is overloaded. His goal is CLEARLY to move up as fast as possible into management and make as much $ as possible to provide for his family.

Another woman I work with gave me a project when I asked her and I found out later, she barely had any projects herself.

I think it says a lot about a person when they are willing to risk their own employment (even in a small way) in order to help another employee.

On a side note, the degree of selfishness and self-preservation displayed at work by some is just nauseating. It makes me despise human society.

In any case, you can make a lot of $ in this world, or you can make life better for others ... and you'll be dead in the end either way.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:45 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Absolutely.

I worked at a tech company where the name of the game was to throw each other under the bus, oftentimes in front of clients. People would be left flailing when another employee may know the answer off the top of their head. As expected, turnover was excessive.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's more dependent on individual employees than the company as a whole.

Where I work, the goal is to have work, to do, because if you're slow ... you be gone.

One guy I work with, is actually a good guy and he will help you with questions, but hoards work and absolutely refuses to give any up even if he is overloaded. His goal is CLEARLY to move up as fast as possible into management and make as much $ as possible to provide for his family.

Another woman I work with gave me a project when I asked her and I found out later, she barely had any projects herself.

I think it says a lot about a person when they are willing to risk their own employment (even in a small way) in order to help another employee.

On a side note, the degree of selfishness and self-preservation displayed at work by some is just nauseating. It makes me despise human society.

In any case, you can make a lot of $ in this world, or you can make life better for others ... and you'll be dead in the end either way.
I dont think its all of human society, I think this primarily happens in the USA and almost no where else. Sure we get more material goods by creating a system in which greedy vultures can capitalize but thats about all we get.

The only reason people want to come here is coinsidential, in that so many other places have had brtual dictators or some other extremely oppressive govt/regime. You dont see people pouring out of switzerland, germany or the like into the USA .... let that sink in.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:55 PM

46 posts, read 34,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

On a side note, the degree of selfishness and self-preservation displayed at work by some is just nauseating. It makes me despise human society
That woman is an idiot. Everyone at work is only in it for themselves and their own families. Never forget that. Why on Earth would she risk her livelihood to be "nice" to another worker who is really just a stranger? That's nuts.

BTW, I'm completely selfish at work, just like all of the other people I work with. If virtues and character are important to you, go do some volunteer work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment