Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 01:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,868,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider01 View Post
Thank you for the insight. I did have that discussion already and was told not to worry about it, we just need to "tighten up." I was told I needed to change some billing practices, which I thought was a deflection. There weren't really any substantive solutions other than "make more money and pay more money to the IRS."
IMO, these responses are a red flag:
1) "Don't worry about it" sounds like he is not worrying about it - and wants you to do likewise. (Maybe there is nothing to worry about, but, he doesn't sound concerned about your concerns)
2) "A NEED to tighten-up" and/or "change some billing practices" says action is still pending
3) "Make more money and pay more money to the IRS" is an end-game, not a viable plan and substantive action to address and resolve the problem. The IRS will not settle for a brush-off if it comes to that.

Have you seen any indication that other employees or top management are getting antsy? -- As others have suggested, it is probably time to firm-up your other offer along with a future growth path (Do not simply change jobs without having some type of performance-based financial and position growth path established going in). Then, if you are willing to negotiate with your current owner, tell him you are planning on leaving and why (also mentioning that you feel your contribution to the company growth has been undervalued). If you are not willing to negotiate, you should still leave on as good terms as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 02:04 PM

26 posts, read 16,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
IMO, these responses are a red flag:
1) "Don't worry about it" sounds like he is not worrying about it - and wants you to do likewise. (Maybe there is nothing to worry about, but, he doesn't sound concerned about your concerns)
2) "A NEED to tighten-up" and/or "change some billing practices" says action is still pending
3) "Make more money and pay more money to the IRS" is an end-game, not a viable plan and substantive action to address and resolve the problem. The IRS will not settle for a brush-off if it comes to that.

Have you seen any indication that other employees or top management are getting antsy? -- As others have suggested, it is probably time to firm-up your other offer along with a future growth path (Do not simply change jobs without having some type of performance-based financial and position growth path established going in). Then, if you are willing to negotiate with your current owner, tell him you are planning on leaving and why (also mentioning that you feel your contribution to the company growth has been undervalued). If you are not willing to negotiate, you should still leave on as good terms as possible.
This is a small business, I am next at the top. Other employees have left recently. Not because of money but bad morale and being treated poorly.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:35 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,277,165 times
Leave. Today.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:23 PM

3,084 posts, read 2,427,584 times
What's to think about? Leave. You have an offer in hand; you don't know what the economy will be like when your current employer tanks.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:37 PM

34,138 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraider01 View Post
If anything draws have increased since house purchase.
And your question in this thread is....

LOL.

Why would you even ponder staying? Even for one extra second?

Old 12-09-2017, 03:59 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,608,681 times
I cannot digest and analyze each of the above postings but I would like to call your attention to a comment about the employer purchasing a new, expensive home. I don't know what the laws are in the state where this home is located but think back to the actions of ENRON executives who built/purchased mansions in Florida. The reason why they did this is that Florida laws protect a primary residence from litigation, even bankruptcy. Withdrawing money from the business and investing it in a residence may be a technique to protect capital.

RUN!!!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:25 PM

6,615 posts, read 5,018,533 times
I worked for someone who was in a similar position once - as a bookkeeper! I had no idea when I was hired. It was a part time job and I was broke, but I did have other income to fall back on. I almost quit immediately but decided to stick it out. I ended up being there 4 years.

He was way behind on his taxes and had used credit cards to keep the business afloat. The difference was that he did not take a paycheck at all, his wife worked and was able to afford the mortgage and he really busted his butt to get the business afloat again. If you don't feel any of these things are happening, you should leave, especially if you have a good offer in hand. Good luck!

Old 12-09-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I worked for someone who was in a similar position once - as a bookkeeper! I had no idea when I was hired. It was a part time job and I was broke, but I did have other income to fall back on. I almost quit immediately but decided to stick it out. I ended up being there 4 years.

He was way behind on his taxes and had used credit cards to keep the business afloat. The difference was that he did not take a paycheck at all, his wife worked and was able to afford the mortgage and he really busted his butt to get the business afloat again. If you don't feel any of these things are happening, you should leave, especially if you have a good offer in hand. Good luck!
Well he's still taking a huge paycheck and his wife doesn't work.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:51 PM

34,138 posts, read 17,199,473 times
OP, Contact the corp who made the offer. With no further procrastination.

Old 12-09-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
OP, Contact the corp who made the offer. With no further procrastination.
Got ya. I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment