Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:05 PM

801 posts, read 548,105 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know how to Google.

I know the term sounds self explanatory but it really isn't.... Or maybe I am the dumbest person here.

For whatever machine learning and automation is really hot topic on CD this week.

I watched a few Youtube videos on the subject (Check out "humans need not apply" if you have 15 minutes) and I think Wikipedia sums it up nicely, "Machine learning is a field of computer science that gives computers the ability to learn without being explicitly programmed."

That still sounds very vague to me.

Does that mean we will reach a point where machines can come up with useful ideas on their own. Things that we haven't even thought of yet. Things that aren't mentioned anywhere.

Let's say for example, we live in a world where, for whatever crazy reason travelling by air was unheard of. We didn't even have flying birds.

Would a machine be able to observe how we live our life, think of this new innovative way of travelling, find out the physics involved behind it and start designing airplanes???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 05:49 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post

Does that mean we will reach a point where machines can come up with useful ideas on their own. Things that we haven't even thought of yet. Things that aren't mentioned anywhere.

Let's say for example, we live in a world where, for whatever crazy reason travelling by air was unheard of. We didn't even have flying birds.

Would a machine be able to observe how we live our life, think of this new innovative way of travelling, find out the physics involved behind it and start designing airplanes???
Yes, eventually. I think the idea is to automate most things to the point where human labor is eventually no longer needed. As much as some of us hate machines when they don't work how we want them, they have a tendency to be far more capable and efficient than human beings. Once they start having the ability to "think for themselves", it's going to swiftly be game over for large swaths of human workers.

This is why we need to be forward thinking about how to eventually deal with such a world, rather than sticking our heads in the sand pretending that this sort of change is impossible or improbable.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 PM

901 posts, read 747,886 times
After taking a few machine learning classes............it isn't that scary. A lot of statistics/probability,supervised/unsupervised learning. Just ways to mine all your 'data' to "find" what you want to buy next(possibly lol) The medical prediction stuff is neat

Old 11-28-2017, 01:12 AM

8,299 posts, read 3,817,316 times
We aren't anywhere near having computers that can come up with unique ideas. AI is in its infancy and will be for decades to come. At best, all we can do is use large data sets to identify patterns which computers can use to interpolate missing information. This is very powerful, but not anywhere near generating ideas.

This is also how self driving cars, modern cell phone cameras, language processing and many functions considered AI work.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
We aren't anywhere near having computers that can come up with unique ideas. AI is in its infancy and will be for decades to come. At best, all we can do is use large data sets to identify patterns which computers can use to interpolate missing information. This is very powerful, but not anywhere near generating ideas.

This is also how self driving cars, modern cell phone cameras, language processing and many functions considered AI work.
Then why on earth do so many experts believe human labor will be obsolete in the 'near future'

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 11-28-2017 at 04:41 AM..

Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 AM

901 posts, read 747,886 times
Quote:
Then why on earth do so many expeets believe human labor will be obsolete in the 'near future'
To get you to click on their articles and buy their books and subscribe to their blogs/youtube channels....Fear,like sex, sells. Look at all the vast numbers of people who follow Alex Jones and Infowars and believe conspiracy theories

Old 11-28-2017, 06:03 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
my subaru learns supposedly, like how i like to accelerate or what ot so it can put the cvt into the "right" gear. it also learned what seat position i like so i can press a button

Old 11-28-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
my subaru learns supposedly, like how i like to accelerate or what ot so it can put the cvt into the "right" gear. it also learned what seat position i like so i can press a button
My cell phone does something similar. I used to check the weather every morning but now it display it when i wake up. It learns about what topic i like to read and display trending news about it. It alerts me about traffic at almost 5pm on the weekday because it knows i am about to drive home.

That's really cool and all but if these are what machine learning is capable of then i don't see what the fuss is about...

Old 11-28-2017, 07:35 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,543 times
Quote:

That's really cool and all but if these are what machine learning is capable of then i don't see what the fuss is about...
Sit down and think about this deeply for a minute or two.

What was machine learning capable of just 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Did you even hear about machine learning back then?

Compare that to what it is capable of today.

Now, here's where it's going to take some creative thinking on your part. What do you think machine learning is going to be capable of in 10 years from now? 20 years from now?

Keep in mind that technology is highly evolved today. So change will happen at a far more rapid rate than it did back when we had to do a lot more manual labor alongside the technology for it to work well.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Sit down and think about this deeply for a minute or two.

What was machine learning capable of just 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Did you even hear about machine learning back then?

Compare that to what it is capable of today.

Now, here's where it's going to take some creative thinking on your part. What do you think machine learning is going to be capable of in 10 years from now? 20 years from now?

Keep in mind that technology is highly evolved today. So change will happen at a far more rapid rate than it did back when we had to do a lot more manual labor alongside the technology for it to work well.
I guess i just don't believe that Moore's Law can be applied to this as much as you..

No one knows how advanced it will be 10 - 20 years from now.. could become something awesome or die out.

I'll be impressed when i can have a thoughtful conversation with cortena or siri about random topics as if we are two ppl hanging out.. or even when Google translate can coherently put sentences together... until then.. meh..

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 11-28-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment