Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 05:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,047,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
This is why you should never be a salaried employee to begin with. Its the equivalent of putting a sign on yourself and say, "abuse me, don't pay me for hours worked"

This is the ultimate end Goal of companies. Somehow convince all the lemmings to work for free and accept it
Agreed! and you'd be shocked (maybe not) at how easily so many buy into that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 08:42 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,286,519 times
The only thing I would have done differently OP is that I would not have cc’d your supervisor. Why did he need to know? We’re you trolling for a compliment from him for the way you handled the work schedule?

Lots of managers feel the way yours does, that salary workers are superior to hourly workers. That mindset comes from the earliest days of manufacturing in America and is still alive and well. Now that you know that his attitudes are “slightly behind the times”,use it to your advantage. Your team will respect you for your concern for them, so keep at it!

Old 12-17-2017, 09:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,310,043 times
OP.... I think the only way that you'll understand what he meant is to ask him at some point. He certainly is not thankful for your efforts.

I feel badly that your team has to work so much holiday time for a man who obviously isn't grateful.

Perhaps you should rethink your dedication.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:08 PM

4,884 posts, read 5,035,850 times
Make sure those workers get a little something extra something somehow, someway.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:13 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
Make sure those workers get a little something extra something somehow, someway.
I tried....i asked the boss perhaps we can do a little something for them....like give them a day off in the comming year.....

He said 'what if the work isnt done to my liking? Why should i commit tobreward them if we dont even know the project will succeed? If its successful, ill think about a possible reward.....'

Old 12-17-2017, 06:16 PM

9,692 posts, read 7,430,451 times
maybe he doesnt want them working for free, hourly people love overtime. maybe he wants salary to get their forty and go home. be with the family

Old 12-17-2017, 06:19 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
maybe he doesnt want them working for free, hourly people love overtime. maybe he wants salary to get their forty and go home. be with the family
No man...lol
Its the opposite. Hes upset that i thanked them for working the NYE weekend

Old 12-17-2017, 10:07 PM

13,520 posts, read 7,490,695 times
Hourly employees in IT world are going away at least as I can tell my department are network administrators we have 1 2, and 3's and a few years ago 1 and 2 network admins were hourly 3's and Sr were salary they re-wrote our job description and made 2's salary our work never changed they got around the law by coming up with a job description that didn't have anything to do with our jobs gave it to an outside attorney who gave them the green light to do it. Last month I heard our job descriptions are changing again now level 1's are going to become exempt employees. My manager is cool about working they lost lot of good employees last few years after working everyone too hard they made a new policy not allowed to work more then 12 hours in a day any employee. They always let us take comp day off if we worked extra hours they only expect us to work 8 hours a day.

IT job market is easy enough for your guys to find new jobs your manager he won't hold onto them if he keeps it up.

Last edited by kell490; 12-17-2017 at 10:33 PM..

Old 12-19-2017, 06:18 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,946,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Hourly employees in IT world are going away at least as I can tell my department are network administrators we have 1 2, and 3's and a few years ago 1 and 2 network admins were hourly 3's and Sr were salary they re-wrote our job description and made 2's salary our work never changed they got around the law by coming up with a job description that didn't have anything to do with our jobs gave it to an outside attorney who gave them the green light to do it. Last month I heard our job descriptions are changing again now level 1's are going to become exempt employees. My manager is cool about working they lost lot of good employees last few years after working everyone too hard they made a new policy not allowed to work more then 12 hours in a day any employee. They always let us take comp day off if we worked extra hours they only expect us to work 8 hours a day.

IT job market is easy enough for your guys to find new jobs your manager he won't hold onto them if he keeps it up.
Few companies want someone sticking around in an hourly position for too long. It's up or out. And in general, companies hate hourly workers with a passion since you have to pay them OT for anything worked over 40 whereas salaried workers are doing it for free.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:43 PM

4,423 posts, read 2,979,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Few companies want someone sticking around in an hourly position for too long. It's up or out. And in general, companies hate hourly workers with a passion since you have to pay them OT for anything worked over 40 whereas salaried workers are doing it for free.
This isn't true. I've never heard this before. Salaried worker are generally paid more and overtime is figured into their salary. So the OT isn't really free if it's factored in and expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment