Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 04:15 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,270,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Few companies want someone sticking around in an hourly position for too long. It's up or out. And in general, companies hate hourly workers with a passion since you have to pay them OT for anything worked over 40 whereas salaried workers are doing it for free.
In my over 40 years in the workforce, in both Non-Exempt hourly and Exempt salaried positions at multiple employers, I've found this to be generally true.

The Non-Exempt hourly pay schedules top out much lower than Exempt salaried. And although those workers are generally paid less (but there is overlap between higher-end hourly and lower-end salaried), you're going to have to pay time-and-a-half for the hourly worker to work extra hours, but the salaried worker gets paid nothing extra. If the employer has a need for overtime, a salaried worker is their first choice to work it, since that's not going to be an extra expense over what has been budgeted for salaries. But they'll take a hit with the hourly employee. Even at their lower rate, they have to pay the overtime premium, and the meter is running until the task is done, or the employee's overtime allotment runs out.

Since the hourly positions top out at a lower range maximum (I think my current employer it's around $27-$28/hour), and overtime for them may often be restricted or even not offered, the hourly person would have to seek a higher salaried position or a higher paying hourly job elsewhere, if they want to advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,350,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Hourly employees in IT world are going away at least as I can tell my department are network administrators we have 1 2, and 3's and a few years ago 1 and 2 network admins were hourly 3's and Sr were salary they re-wrote our job description and made 2's salary our work never changed they got around the law by coming up with a job description that didn't have anything to do with our jobs gave it to an outside attorney who gave them the green light to do it. Last month I heard our job descriptions are changing again now level 1's are going to become exempt employees. My manager is cool about working they lost lot of good employees last few years after working everyone too hard they made a new policy not allowed to work more then 12 hours in a day any employee. They always let us take comp day off if we worked extra hours they only expect us to work 8 hours a day.

IT job market is easy enough for your guys to find new jobs your manager he won't hold onto them if he keeps it up.
The only hourly IT employees that exist are really help desk and desktop support level 1 and 2 positions I see those guys typically go home at 5 if overtime isn't approved they may not make much but heck at least its not forced overtime

Old 12-21-2017, 09:23 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,350,065 times
Quote:
Few companies want someone sticking around in an hourly position for too long. It's up or out. And in general, companies hate hourly workers with a passion since you have to pay them OT for anything worked over 40 whereas salaried workers are doing it for free.
Im not really sure how true this is unless proven but i seen many people stick it out in hourly positions for many years some even say I get to go home at 5pm which is probably the best part of those positions

Old 12-22-2017, 05:53 PM

19,914 posts, read 9,469,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
So i manage a team of a dozen developers, and I happen to need them to work on the boss' pet project on december 30th and 31st, which also happen to be saturday/sunday.

So, after talking to my team and scheduling them, i sent a note to the team (cced my boss), thanking them ahead of time for their commitment and generous volunteering of their time....(thinking that it was appropriate since theyll be essentially taking time away from their families on new years eve)

So, the boss emails me back saying .....Remember that you are a salaried employee. Stop acting like an hourly employee!!!...

Just shaking my head. Not gonna even reply...
I think what you did was perfect, and your boss is a jerk.

Since when did empathy and appreciation become out-dated? I think your boss needs a refresher course as to how to motivate and keep employees.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:12 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,159,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
everything is optional...

if they didn't like that option, they can quit
You are an example of someone who has no life outside of work. No, most regular people can't quit just because they want to.

Old 12-23-2017, 08:54 PM

13,427 posts, read 7,418,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Im not really sure how true this is unless proven but i seen many people stick it out in hourly positions for many years some even say I get to go home at 5pm which is probably the best part of those positions
We have lot of IT field service guys that take care of mountain top Microwave, DWDM, TDM circuits, relaying circuits for our power grid I work for a Electric utility they are all hourly our 24/7 operations center is hourly too. Some of the Sr Field service guys make $100 an hour while on overtime mostly the ones that been around for long time which is only a handful who got those high paying hourly promotions back the company had exec's who cared about their employees most of them have retired out only a handful make anywhere near that much All of the people like me who don't go in the field with small exceptions are moving to salary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
You are an example of someone who has no life outside of work. No, most regular people can't quit just because they want to.
Most people actually go find another job not really that difficult the word "Can't" isn't really true if you mean just up and quit I agree not everyone is in a position to up and quit although a small number of IT workers I know have that ability can actually get a new job with one phone call it takes years of spending your free time learning and getting the correct certificates and your name known. The best way is to build relationships with vendors as they come around selling their goods it might seem annoying to meet with them but if you build a relationship they know lot of customers that may need someone to work for them. Nothing better then a vendor getting someone they know into a company they want to sell more hardware to.

Last edited by kell490; 12-23-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 12-24-2017, 10:21 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,938,435 times
Salary is cheaper for the employer because you can keep someone "OT" and not pay a dime extra. You can also use fear as leverage threatening to fire them if they don't work unpaid OT. Seen it too many times where the hourly employees are sent home and the salaried employees live at the job.

Old 12-24-2017, 11:22 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,087,051 times
Quote:
Salary is cheaper for the employer because you can keep someone "OT" and not pay a dime extra. You can also use fear as leverage threatening to fire them if they don't work unpaid OT. Seen it too many times where the hourly employees are sent home and the salaried employees live at the job.
You keep saying this, and I have shown you several times that you are wrong. Let me try this again.

Most salary workers are paid better than most hourly. That means that salary is more expensive for the employer as a fixed cost.

Let’s assume retail wages, where hourly workers make $8-10/hour. A salaried assistantdepartment manager might make $35,000. As a general manager, I was making $120,000 a number of years ago.

Let’s say the $35k asst Dept mgr works 60 hours a week. That is the equivalent of $9.61/hour, which is terrible, and should never happen, but still at the upper end of retail wages.

A more typical example is a manager making $55k, which is the equivalent of $15/hour if they work 60 hour weeks. Still terrible, but most retail clerks don’t make $15, nor do they have the option of putting in 20 hours of OT each and every week.

The math show that, at worst, a salaried manager makes out at least as well as hourly staff. On average, they make out much better. For other industries the math will be a bit different, but I wanted to show you that you haven’t done the math for your own industry.

I ask you again. Please stop providing misinformation. People who are unaware that you don’t know what you are talking about might take you seriously one day and make terrible decisions based upon your lack of understanding and knowledge.

Old 12-24-2017, 03:52 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,651,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I tried....i asked the boss perhaps we can do a little something for them....like give them a day off in the comming year.....

He said 'what if the work isnt done to my liking? Why should i commit tobreward them if we dont even know the project will succeed? If its successful, ill think about a possible reward.....'
Wow. This dude is a real piece of work, isn't he? I'm going to guess that a big part of your role is acting as the buffer between him and the humans. I've had that job a couple of times; in my experience it tends to involve long, thankless hours, and they never realize half of how good a job you do until a week or two after you get fed up and walk out the door.

Old 12-24-2017, 04:44 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,310,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Wow. This dude is a real piece of work, isn't he? I'm going to guess that a big part of your role is acting as the buffer between him and the humans. I've had that job a couple of times; in my experience it tends to involve long, thankless hours, and they never realize half of how good a job you do until a week or two after you get fed up and walk out the door.
Hah
You cannot be more right.
I always feel that way and i try my best to do just that....although he does what he wants anyways...

Thanks for the note.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment