Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 02:20 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,046,331 times

Advertisements

It depends on the situation, company, industry, prospect, etc.

During my last interview, the focus was on whether I was a good fit for the company socially and culturally. They inquired about salary range right before I left.

At other interviews, salary was never mentioned during the interview.... only a range for past jobs with the recruiter and then when the offer came through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2017, 02:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,916,947 times
I personally don't mention salary unless they bring it up.

I only apply for jobs that match the level of experience I have (10-15 years), educational level (Master's), and so on--so generally the salary range has been in line with what I expect 9/10 times.

I hate the salary question, so I give them a range and go $10K higher at the top range. I never name an exact figure. It's hard to answer sometimes because you don't know if they have a great benefits/PTO package that can compensate for a somewhat lower salary or vice versa.

I've only had one surprise when applying for jobs and it was a 3rd party recruiter who had found my resume and was going to present me as a candidate for an HR DIRECTOR in the healthcare industry for a place that had recently unionized. Now I have no healthcare background but do have loads of union experience and lots of HR experience. He never asked the salary range. The requirements for the job were 10-15 years HR experience and a master's degree strongly preferred, with 5-10 years first chair contract negotiations. So pretty hefty qualifications. I about fell over when he told me that the salary range was $45K-$55K, lol

Old 12-19-2017, 02:40 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,147,034 times
Some people are really afraid to ask about salary. I know someone who got a job and was working there a week before finally asking what the salary was.

Old 12-19-2017, 02:55 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,397,453 times
I do not mention salary unless I am asked.

I interviewed with a drugstore chain years ago. Instead of focusing on the position I applied and was interviewing for, the interviewing store manager hyped up an entry position with low pay. I countered the manager's hype with "extra responsibilities leading to more pay and/or a significant sign-on bonus". I did not hear back after the interview.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:00 PM

6,480 posts, read 7,836,342 times
When I was job hunting a couple yrs ago, the majority talked salary range on the first phone interview. If they didn't I would ask. I agree with OP, no sense wasting one another's time.

Old 12-19-2017, 03:03 PM

11,581 posts, read 6,773,869 times
If I don't already know then I will ask what the salary range is. I don't want to waste my time or theirs if it's not what I'm looking for.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:44 PM

436 posts, read 303,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatar View Post
I read/heard that it isn't appropriate to ask until the job is offered. Why? I want to know the salary before anything is offered so I don't waste time. Wasting time and gas and to find out the job I want pays so low! $15. It is quite funny the job title and duties seem higher than entry level but the pay is entry level.

I hate this job searching process.
Well in order to apply for the job you'd need to know the salary beforehand right? That should be the first question. Otherwise to even attend the interview would be a waste of time.

If the job is desirable, you can show up ready to negotiate. Especially if you feel they are getting. a great deal by hiring you for this or that reason. Never put your true Social Security # on an application, put a false one then tell them upon being hired of your true number. ID theft is rampid

Old 12-19-2017, 11:40 PM

13,295 posts, read 8,516,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclist1968 View Post
Well in order to apply for the job you'd need to know the salary beforehand right? That should be the first question. Otherwise to even attend the interview would be a waste of time.

If the job is desirable, you can show up ready to negotiate. Especially if you feel they are getting. a great deal by hiring you for this or that reason. Never put your true Social Security # on an application, put a false one then tell them upon being hired of your true number. ID theft is rampid
Might I suggest instead of falsifying your social security number,you simply state that all documents to show proof of citizenship or visa will be supplied with a firm job offer. This keeps both sides clean. I'd be weary of lieing or encouraging such.

Old 12-20-2017, 05:52 AM

9,489 posts, read 8,477,869 times
In most instances an HR person will proactively take care of this for you by asking what YOUR salary range is. If you're both comfortable with that level that's typically when they ask you in for a formal interview. If there isn't an initial HR phone screen often times your online application will ask what your salary range is and that will weed out people who aren't in their range. If none of that occurs (rare) I would absolutely be comfortable asking. However, as someone else has said, don't make it the first question out of your mouth. I ask it in sort of an air of indifference mode....."Oh and just so we're on the same page, can you tell me what the salary range is for this role?"

Old 12-20-2017, 06:21 AM

4,179 posts, read 3,108,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Of course!

The entire reason people work is for salary, so to pretend that it is not important is madness!
Yes, with certain rare exceptions. I am retired and now working part-time to earn a few more Medicare credits. Ohio minimum wage is high enough ($8.15 for 2017, $8.30 for 2018) that salary is not a factor. I can earn the maximum 4 credits a year in less than a year's time.

If salary is not the entire reason, why do job applications always ask for a salary history? Hint, they are not doing this to find the most expensive (best) candidate, nor are they doing this to avoid underpaying you. They are hoping they can find a good candidate for the least price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment