Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 11:30 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,764,365 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I work in a small department where networking is hard. I would like to move out of my department; but do not know anyone. I have always heard "its not what you know, but who you know". I see other jobs I'm interested in, but the hiring manager is "just a name on the screen" as is my name to them.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 AM

7,977 posts, read 5,011,414 times
It's true you need to be in the right environment to network properly. I'm located way south in the bottom armpit of the United States and all central operations at my company is located thousands of mile north which makes it real difficult to "network" since you rarely see anyone

In order to benefit from networking you have to really get to know someone in a position of power. That's the only way it works. Just being an "acquaintance" does nothing

It's a sad reality when the only way to even get CHANCES to get an interview today is to have to know someone when it used to be the qualifications and resume was more than enough. So know you have a race to the bottom work environment where everyone is trying to gain relationships with butt kiss instead of doing their job at the highest degree

Old 12-05-2016, 07:46 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,351,477 times
You can meet people attending like industry conferences and talking to people.
I always wonder about doing but then I just would feel selfish just for the purpose GETTING ME A JOB

Old 12-05-2016, 08:04 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,111,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
You can meet people attending like industry conferences and talking to people.
I always wonder about doing but then I just would feel selfish just for the purpose GETTING ME A JOB
That's the key. Forget about "getting a job." That is disingenuous, and people will see right through it. Meeting people means getting outside of your "normal world." Volunteer for projects, go to events/activities you wouldn't normally go to, expose yourself to different people. When opportunities come available, those people will remember you, or maybe they know someone who knows someone.

True networking doesn't always pay off, but it doesn't matter, because the people who are doing it aren't doing it primarily for that purpose to begin with.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:05 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,581,352 times
you meet people standing in line at the grocery store, when you are out eating dinner. The person next to you on the bus, he might be an office manager that has as spot opening up. Or the guy buying apples, might have a friend who is looking to hire someone.

if you are interested in another job, find out what the job even needs and if you have the skills to do it. Are you even in a spot to help out? Or will you be a hindrance if you network with him and he hires you only to regret it? This is why networking is useful, you don't need to find out "after being hired/interviewed" what the job needs, if you know before hand how the company wants to fill the role, and can do it, you can sell yourself better at the interview. So what, if two people can "do the job", if one of them already knows where the company is heading and what their goal for the job is, I'm going to hire that one because he and I are already on the same playing field.

You don't "network" with the people you want for your next job, you network with everyone because everyone brings different things to the table. You network because it is just plain fun to do.

Remember, they also network with you, which means you have to be able to offer them something in return. If you can't help someone when they need it, why would they help you when you need it?

Old 12-05-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
That's the key. Forget about "getting a job." That is disingenuous, and people will see right through it. Meeting people means getting outside of your "normal world." Volunteer for projects, go to events/activities you wouldn't normally go to, expose yourself to different people. When opportunities come available, those people will remember you, or maybe they know someone who knows someone.

True networking doesn't always pay off, but it doesn't matter, because the people who are doing it aren't doing it primarily for that purpose to begin with.
Oh god sounds like dating

Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you meet people standing in line at the grocery store, when you are out eating dinner. The person next to you on the bus, he might be an office manager that has as spot opening up. Or the guy buying apples, might have a friend who is looking to hire someone.

if you are interested in another job, find out what the job even needs and if you have the skills to do it. Are you even in a spot to help out? Or will you be a hindrance if you network with him and he hires you only to regret it? This is why networking is useful, you don't need to find out "after being hired" what the job needs, if you know before hand what the company wants to fill the role, and can do it, you can sell yourself better at the interview. So what, if two people can "do the job", if one of them already knows where the company is heading and what their goal for the job is, I'm going to hire that one because he and I are already on the same playing field.

You don't "network" with the people you want for your next job, you network with everyone for future jobs. You network because it is just plain fun to do.

Remember, they also network with you, which means you have to be able to offer them something in return. If you can't help someone when they need it, why would they help you when you need it?

Plain fun?
Some of us are not exactly social butterflies

Old 12-05-2016, 08:56 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,111,848 times
Quote:
Plain fun?
What alternative do YOU suggest then? Your post above suggested pretty much the same thing. I'm not sure there is a substitute for actually interacting with people. The wider your circle, the more effective you'll be "when the time comes."

Old 12-05-2016, 09:03 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,581,352 times
Quote:
Plain fun?
I play on a bowling team, at the game centers... I don't have to be social butterfly. I've met doctors and lawyers at biker bars. Think most bikers are social butterflies, but people who own motorcycles often make lot of money because they can be expensive. Same with playing golf, or horse riding, some things just take money to do. Work there and get to know the the people. Hell, I've networked online just by going to local forums for things I am interested in. They learn I'm in the area, that I can do what I say I can and am good for it. If I need my car fixed, I know I can post there and either find someone to pay, or someone there willing to show me how to do it myself.

it is more about knowing how to connect with people and not being social butterflies. Guess what, social skills are skills to be learned. You aren't born with it. It is not a personality trait.

Last edited by MLSFan; 12-05-2016 at 09:15 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 01:07 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,418,256 times
When I started at my current job, I made most of my connections through the on-site gym. You do enough fitness classes and workouts with people, you get to know them.

Aside from that, I'm the type of person who prefers in-person discussions to emails, so whenever I need to ask someone something who works in the same building, I walk over to them. If they don't work in my building, I call them. Sure, if it's something tiny after I've already met the person, email is fine, but I feel like the first interaction should always be in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment