Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 01:23 PM

897 posts, read 1,183,311 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Advice needed! I like my coworkers (most of the times), the work is fine and I'm pretty comfortable when it comes to that. But I'm about to have my 3 year anniversary and have only had two raises in that time. The first raise was a $5k jump, but since then I've only had a 2% raise two years after. I find the COL in my area just doesn't support my salary, but the job market isn't the hottest here, either.

When did you say 'screw it' to being comfortable at your current job to move on to something that offers more pay? That's really all I'm looking at, at this point - I want more money, and I'm doing myself no favors for being somewhere for nearly 3 years and being at virtually the same pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 01:27 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,298,461 times
what is the average raise in your company? If the average is 1% and you got 2%, then you are doing pretty well, at least as far as that company goes.

And while I have no idea what your base pay is, 5K plus another 2% isn't "virtually the same pay." I know people who have had literally no raise at all in that same amount of time. Plus if you are just coming up on your 3rd anniversary, having 2 raises in that time period would be the norm, and presumably you'll be getting another raise in your 3 year performance review.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,147,844 times
I don't care if they gave me a 10% raise, if I can get more money and benefits somewhere else. I'll leave in a month, instead of waiting a year for a COL increase.

When I was 20, I left my first job after a month. It was a part time job working the food line at a fast food chain. It paid less than $100/week for 20-25 hours/week. I landed a job paying $8.50/hr as a file clerk. It was $330 a week for a 230% + raise.

You hurt your earnings, when you look to stay as long as possible. Move up or move out. Do not stagnate.

Don't be the guy working as a burger flipper for 10 years, hoping he can climb the ladder to executive ranks in 20 years. That's as rare as winning the lottery. Promote yourself.

Last edited by move4ward; 01-06-2018 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 02:26 PM

741 posts, read 592,477 times
If salary is the most important component in your employment pacakage at this stage of your career, then start looking right now. It sounds like you’re unlikely to get a merit raise at your current employer, and you’ll spin your wheels for another year waiting for a paltry 2% COL increase. The largest salary increases happen when a person changes jobs. So dust off that resume and start looking ASAP.

Old 01-06-2018, 02:40 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,557,783 times
My approach is I have a six figure salary target. Until I reach my target, every job until then is temporary. I'll move every 2-3 per job. It doesn't matter if I like the job or coworkers. I never get comfortable if it pays below my target.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:44 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,726,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
what is the average raise in your company? If the average is 1% and you got 2%, then you are doing pretty well, at least as far as that company goes.

And while I have no idea what your base pay is, 5K plus another 2% isn't "virtually the same pay." I know people who have had literally no raise at all in that same amount of time. Plus if you are just coming up on your 3rd anniversary, having 2 raises in that time period would be the norm, and presumably you'll be getting another raise in your 3 year performance review.
Yeah, unless I’m missing something or the OP makes like $200K, that’s not virtually the same pay. Even at $100K, that’s still a 5% raise the first year, which is better than most people get. At my last job, I got one $1K raise and one $400 bonus in four years. I call that “virtually the same pay,” as it was not even a 2% increase for me.

I think it’s worth it to see what comes at the 3-year anniversary, since that is when the pay raises typically happen unless someone switches positions and/or is promoted. If the 3-year point is just a COL increase and it doesn’t look like there is room for growth, then it’s worth seeing what’s out there.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 13,755,553 times
Is their anything within your organization, other than salary, that drives you nuts? PTO? Insurance? Managers? Work styles? I have a great salary and have been with my organization for going on three years like you. Up until this year I had to buy my own health insurance, the PTO and flex time can be kind of wonky (I'm in social work so working late some nights and leaving early/coming in late is common), and the management style is just a hot mess. For those reasons I have actively been looking for things within the actual school district (I work outside of it but on a school campus) since this summer. Not other areas of my industry, but very specifically within a district where I have connections and know that their management style and benefits are way more comprehensive.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Yeah, unless I’m missing something or the OP makes like $200K, that’s not virtually the same pay. Even at $100K, that’s still a 5% raise the first year, which is better than most people get. At my last job, I got one $1K raise and one $400 bonus in four years. I call that “virtually the same pay,” as it was not even a 2% increase for me.

I think it’s worth it to see what comes at the 3-year anniversary, since that is when the pay raises typically happen unless someone switches positions and/or is promoted. If the 3-year point is just a COL increase and it doesn’t look like there is room for growth, then it’s worth seeing what’s out there.
Well, I should clarify. I took a $3k paycut when I started this job and I came out only making $2k more than I did before. For 3 years and supporting multiple offices myself, I'm kind of bummed I'm making about the same that I was making nearly 4 years ago.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Is their anything within your organization, other than salary, that drives you nuts? PTO? Insurance? Managers? Work styles? I have a great salary and have been with my organization for going on three years like you. Up until this year I had to buy my own health insurance, the PTO and flex time can be kind of wonky (I'm in social work so working late some nights and leaving early/coming in late is common), and the management style is just a hot mess. For those reasons I have actively been looking for things within the actual school district (I work outside of it but on a school campus) since this summer. Not other areas of my industry, but very specifically within a district where I have connections and know that their management style and benefits are way more comprehensive.

I hope that helps.
Unfortunately this is OK right now, as well. If anything I just think I'm overall falling out of love with my role and want to move on to something else with more defined responsibilities and expectations.

I think, if anything, I'll do a more specific search like you and cater it specifically to what I want. I did always have a plan that this year would be the year that I made a decision on where I want to go with my career. What others are saying is right, though... I can't sit here hoping to make 6 figures by waiting it out. I already know that won't work.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:59 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,147,844 times
I am always looking for a higher salary or a role that advances my career.

I am a IT contractor now. After the contract ends, I am ready for a higher level role with the current software and technology. I will look to add new skills and a higher salary with the next role. If I don't do that, I risk being one of those middle aged IT guys that can't find jobs due to skills that are fell out of demand.

I move forward or risk falling behind, every 2-3 years. In other cases, I see guys working for 7+ years at a company to get surprised by a layoff. They are unable to find work, as their skills went out of demand years ago. They were only useful for legacy knowledge about who did what, and how to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment