Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM

34 posts, read 52,175 times

Advertisements

I have been treated as a freelancer at my current job so my boss avoids paying FICA. All employer's taxes fall on me even though by law I am an employee because I only work for this company full time. I also don't get any benefits, no health insurance, no days off, heck.. they even don't say Merry Christmas or Happy Thanksgiving. Every day is business as usual. In the last few years the company profit went up and it has always been a battle to ask for more money at the end of the year. They never bring this up on their own. I have a Master's degree and for my boss there is no difference between a high school diploma or a university degree. We are all in the same boat! To top it off, this year they cut my otherwise small Christmas bonus without an explanation. And they had really really good financial year. The boss bought an oceanfront home!

I am very dedicated and always do my best. I like the daily tasks I do at my job and I know I am good at it because I have done it for over a decade. I do bring money on the table. Since I joined the company our small marketing team of three brought the company to the next level and their sales went from around $30,000 a day to $70,000 a day. So is asking for a pay raise a lot to ask? Heck, I didn't even ask for any big figure. My request was under what a person with my degree makes and once again on top of all.. no benefits!

My last two bosses in my previous jobs were criminals. One stole a huge amount from the state where I live, the other is a sex offender with a pending lawsuit. So they both were previously featured on the local news with their deeds.

So am I lucky or what? Why is my bad luck following me for the last 15 years? I keep on falling and getting up from the mud over and over again. But I have never gone too far. My biggest achievement is making my three bosses rich, but I still live in a one bedroom apartment because I can't afford more. There are many things I like about my job, maybe that's why I keep it so far. I set my own hours, I am good at my job and I can do it from home, but the obvious disadvantages really drive me crazy! My area of expertise is very specific, so looking for another job is difficult. I pretty much have worked at the main companies that offer this service. So I have to change it all if it is meant to be. But why does it have to be so hard and once again have to start all over again.

Last edited by ivastoya; 12-29-2017 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2017, 03:51 PM

676 posts, read 613,149 times
A specific area of expertise can command high salaries. I suggest you look harder for other positions, esp among the competitors of your current company.

Old 12-29-2017, 04:04 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,339,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivastoya View Post
I have been treated as a freelancer at my current job so my boss avoids paying FICA. All employer's taxes fall on me even though by law I am an employee because I only work for this company full time. I also don't get any benefits, no health insurance, no days off, heck.. they even don't say Merry Christmass or Happy Thanksgiving. Every day is business as usual. In the last few years the company profit went up and it has always been a battle to ask for more money at the end of the year. They never bring this up on their own. I have a Master's degree and for my boss there is no difference between a high school diploma or a university degree. We are all in the same boat!

I am very dedicated and always do my best. I like the daily tasks I do at my job and I know I am good at it because I have done it for over a decade. I do bring money on the table. Since I joined the company our small marketing team of three brought the company to the next level and their sales went from around $30,000 a day to $70,000 a day. So is asking for a pay raise a lot to ask? Heck, I didn't even ask for any big figure. My request was under what a person with my degree makes and once again on top of all.. no benefits!

My last two bosses in my previous jobs were criminals. One stole a huge amount from the state where I live, the other is a sex offender with a pending lawsuit. So they both were previously featured on the local news with their deeds.

So am I lucky or what? Why is my bad luck following me for the last 15 years? I keep on falling and getting up from the mud over and over again. But I have never gone too far. My biggest achievement is making my three bosses rich, but I still live in a one bedroom apartment because I can't afford more. There are many things I like about my job, maybe that's why I keep it so far. I set my own hours, I am good at my job and I can do it from home, but the obvious disadvantages really drive me crazy! My area of expertise is very specific, so looking for another job is difficult. I pretty much have worked at the main companies that offer this service. So I have to change it all if it is meant to be. But why does it have to be so hard and once again have to start all over again.
It's hard to explain why bad luck follows someone for a long time. I feel your pain. I believe everybody has good luck and bad luck in his/her life. It's good you can write it down, talk it out, so you can feel better more or less in your chest.

I know it's hard to start all over again, but if you don't then you just have to continue to suffer. You know your boss won't change. Some bosses are better than some others. But bosses want to make money, the more the better, and the main way is to make employees to work more and try to pay them less.

If you are good at bargaining and get a fair deal, and you like to stay, stay. If you are not good at bargaining and feel he rips you off, and there's no way he will change, the only way is to find job somewhere else. Nobody says it's easy. Is there anyway you can open your own business? I don't know what to say. Try to focus on solutions and making goals.

I hope some other members on here can give you some good advice, not to be harsh on you. I feel very sad that when someone is in bad conditions, and people say mean things to him/her. That just makes that person feels worse.

Wish you have some good luck in the New Year and the years ahead.

Old 12-29-2017, 05:02 PM

34 posts, read 52,175 times
Thank you, AnOrdinaryCitizen and 2nccoast for your replies. Even though I understand the boss' desire to make more (I myself have a business degree), I don't understand that cold-hearted attitude. I don't know where this world is headed to, but greed surely spoils it for everybody... but a few. If I was the boss my attitude would be I grow, we all grow. I have had a small business in the past and did my best to keep everybody happy. I have always enjoyed giving.

Old 12-29-2017, 06:39 PM

118 posts, read 107,927 times
I'd look for a new job day and night. A willingness to relocate may help your situation. Greed is greed, it may be good business in the short-term, but in the longterm if folks like you leave, they will be hurting themselves. Do you have competitors? See if they openings? Good luck. And think of your future, what will you live on when you can't work any longer?

Old 12-29-2017, 07:36 PM

153 posts, read 121,668 times
Are you being treated as a freelance employee or are you a freelance employee that has signed off on the terms, rate of pay etc.?

If you are a freelance employee and not happy with the lack of benefits, seek employment with a company that will hire you on full time, with benefits, or search for another client that will pay you the rate you require.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:23 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,997,567 times
It sounds like you are a full time independent contractor. If you don't like terms or pay, leave.

The line is fuzzy on contractor/employee. If they require you to show up at a certain time, they likely owe you benefits.

Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,254,079 times
Tell them you will be upping your pay rate next year (freelancers typically do this from job to job anyway). Unless you are locked into a specific rate with the company, you should be upping your rate. If you're not happy with this company then you should absolutely search out a full-time position with benefits.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:48 AM

10,065 posts, read 18,168,070 times
OP, it's not clear from your post whether the IRS (and other governmental agencies) would consider you a freelancer (i.e. independent contractor) or an employee. It is NOT something that your employer can decide based on what they think SUITS them!! If you do work for them that is directed by them (in terms of specifics of the work required, deadlines, etc.) you may very well be considered an "employee," NOT a freelancer.

Here's just one relatively recent article that explains the difference, although there are a ton of others as well: When an independent contractor is really an employee - Jul. 16, 2015 . (I just googled "company calls me an independent contractor but i think i'm an employee" -- if you put in similar search terms you will get a lot of hits!)

Old 12-30-2017, 05:39 AM

676 posts, read 613,149 times
OP - I think you need to be more aggressive and stand up for yourself. Maybe the meek will get their rewards in the afterlife, but in this one they will surely be trampled on. Network to the max, look for other positions, get on LinkedIn, indeed.com, etc. If you have a "very specific area of expertise", you should be able to parlay it into a high-paying gig with full benefits.

What field are you in? I/T, marketing, engineering, etc. If you provide some more details, we can make better-targeted suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment