Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 10:20 PM

403 posts, read 366,657 times

Advertisements

I am currently interviewing with a company and I have passed the first round of interviews. Now, they sent me a business case to work on, and I will have to submit that to be reviewed and determined if I am moved to the on-site interview.. I'm being cautious because I've heard of companies using "free labor" and I'm not all about that. However, this is an opportunity that I am interested in. Is there any way around this or suggestions? Been reading up on it on the 'net, one article suggested having them sign an NDA before sending anything across.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 11:57 PM

405 posts, read 575,873 times
Is this a real business case or it is one made up just for the interviewing process?

Old 01-06-2018, 02:27 AM

28,226 posts, read 37,004,917 times
Depends on the role and level of effort. If it takes 1-2 hours you should just do it. If they can use it without hiring you, then it looks risky and you shoukd get paid.

I recently had to make a roadmap, my role woukd be executing on that roadmap so it is useless without me.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:26 AM

It's an actual business case. Very similar to a roadmap of my role and how to execute it ^

Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,156,307 times
Is this a small company? It sounds like a fly by night.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
It's an actual business case. Very similar to a roadmap of my role and how to execute it ^
I wouldn’t worry about it.

One company I worked for was looking for a writer. All of the candidates had to write a guide. They got paid for their time, I thought it was completely fair.

I worked at a company where the CEO was sketchy and he’d use interviews to get advice or intel. Be wary of if the questions veer into consultant territory. My rule is if I am willing to give out that info over a coffee or at a networking event it is fair game in an interview. If it is a lot more extensive strategy, withhold.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Is this a small company? It sounds like a fly by night.
Yeah a start up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I wouldn’t worry about it.

One company I worked for was looking for a writer. All of the candidates had to write a guide. They got paid for their time, I thought it was completely fair.

I worked at a company where the CEO was sketchy and he’d use interviews to get advice or intel. Be wary of if the questions veer into consultant territory. My rule is if I am willing to give out that info over a coffee or at a networking event it is fair game in an interview. If it is a lot more extensive strategy, withhold.
Hmm ok. I mean if I got paid that would be a diff story.. But this is just to see if they want to bring me on-site. It does sound like a good opportunity on hand.. may just have to do it, sigh.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:12 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,016,353 times
Never understood the multiple levels of interview process unless you're applying for the CIA or FBI or Corporate Exec position.

Idiots can't make up their mind after ONE round of interviews? Morons!!! Shouldn't be on the hiring process then

Old 01-06-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Yeah a start up.

Hmm ok. I mean if I got paid that would be a diff story.. But this is just to see if they want to bring me on-site. It does sound like a good opportunity on hand.. may just have to do it, sigh.
I have only had to do an extensive exercise after a first onsite interview. I had one job where they asked a few case questions as part of the initial application. That took about 10 minutes.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:19 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,664,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Never understood the multiple levels of interview process unless you're applying for the CIA or FBI or Corporate Exec position.

Idiots can't make up their mind after ONE round of interviews? Morons!!! Shouldn't be on the hiring process then
I once went through a hiring process that involved FOUR interviews. At the end of the fourth, one of the managers thanked me for my time and told me they probably wouldn't need to do a fifth, but if they did, they'd let me know within a couple of weeks. I told them I would not be back for a fifth interview - if they were still that uncertain as to whether I was the best candidate, I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the position. At that point, I was having serious doubts about whether I wanted to work in such an environment.

They called me a week later and offered me the position, and against my better judgment I accepted it. As it turned out, my instincts were right. I enjoyed the job, made some good money, learned some new skills, and collected a resume entry that landed me the best job of my life a few years later, but it was the most totally dysfunctional company I ever worked for. It was impossible to get a decision made in that office. If there'd ever been a fire, we would have all burned to a crisp waiting for the COO to decide which door we should all run through, because god knows we wouldn't ever want to risk making a MISTAKE!!!! I was never in my life so happy to leave a place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment