Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 09:47 PM

305 posts, read 723,790 times

Advertisements

I was sent home for a week and I got an email a few days ago saying that “we were informed about your separation from our company and ask that you fill out a survey about your experiences”. I then called HR about my employment status and they told me I was terminated for violation of company policy.

These people didn’t have the courtesy to call me and let me know I was terminated.

Is this a common practice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 10:43 PM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,036 times
Maybe whatever you did was so bad, you should have assumed you got fired? Did they take your badge and any keys away? What did you do during that week?

Old 01-20-2018, 01:21 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I was sent home for a week and I got an email a few days ago saying that “we were informed about your separation from our company and ask that you fill out a survey about your experiences”. I then called HR about my employment status and they told me I was terminated for violation of company policy.

These people didn’t have the courtesy to call me and let me know I was terminated.

Why were you "sent home for a week"? There must have been an explanation. Sounds like there should have been a broad hint that there was a major issue going on.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:16 AM

4,950 posts, read 2,706,188 times
No matter what you did, companies fire people in some real novel ways nowadays. Sometimes a person doesn't even know that they have been fired.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:16 AM

305 posts, read 723,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Why were you "sent home for a week"? There must have been an explanation. Sounds like there should have been a broad hint that there was a major issue going on.
Not a lot of people were meeting performance goals so they put us on an employment development plan where I had to meet my goals for 60 to 90 days to keep my job. It wasn’t even 30 days and I and a couple of others were sent home, got calls each day telling me I’m on VTO.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
You said you had to meet it twice in 3 months 44 days ago.

//www.city-data.com/forum/work-...dont-know.html

Did you meet it month one? Were you on pace to meet it month 2?

If the answer to either is not yes, twice in 3 months was not going to occur..

Old 01-20-2018, 06:32 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post

I would hope that it's very, very rare that companies don't let people know they are fired.

Letting people go is one of my least enjoyable parts of my job as a manager.

A lot of times, the employee is placed on suspension pending a decision. As soon as it is decided, I call him/her and let them know. It's never a good feeling but I would rather they know so that they can move on with their lives and not be left wondering. So they don't have a job with my company anymore but now they know and I will send out the paperwork so they can file with UI and start job hunting.

The one time we let corporate handle a termination, they let the poor employee hang out there for two friggin' weeks wondering. We don't let corporate handle those things anymore...

The employee should never have to call HR or their manager to find out if they still have a job or not. The HR manager or the employee's manager should call the employee and explain the decision, verify the address (tax forms/termination paperwork), and make arrangements for return of property/ee to pick up personal stuff.

Sounds like a very unprofessional outfit that you worked for Someone ought to terminate HR there for incompetence.

Anyhow, sorry to hear about the loss of your job and hope that you find a more professional place to work at.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:34 PM

370 posts, read 504,445 times
Was this a call center? It sounds like a place that doesn't have a lot of stability and professionalism.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:55 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
Wow...fired without knowing why....I wonder what happened. To answer your question, this is uncommon.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
The week off should have been a good hint that something bad was coming. You say you didn't get an email but you did get an email. The manager decided to fire you and notified HR. HR notified you as far as I can tell. May not have been what you wanted but they did let you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment