Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,033,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Quit. That's as toxic as it gets.
It is a government job, so it would be easy and pay well with a TON of benefits that other private sector jobs wouldn't come close to. Therefore, don't talk and make your bank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:37 AM

199 posts, read 166,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is a government job, so it would be easy and pay well with a TON of benefits that other private sector jobs wouldn't come close to. Therefore, don't talk and make your bank.
Yeah, I'd stick it out at least until vesting in the pension, regardless of the crappiness of the working environment. Remember, they only "own you" while you are physically at work. Government jobs are also pretty liberal with vacation days and holidays, and you generally don't work more than 8 hours per day.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:26 PM

18,760 posts, read 11,821,444 times
Oh lordy. I could never work there. How oppressive.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:26 PM

8,118 posts, read 7,492,226 times
The Government. How interesting. Obviously they feel that any old brain-dead drone can do that job and they don't care who quits or gets fired.

Private sector employers want their employees to exchange pleasantries but not to goof off. I can't imagine a for-profit company that would move to terminate people for asking a co-worker how their sick child is doing or to offer congratulations on an engagement, new house, etc.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:31 PM

666 posts, read 645,524 times
Dear god.... I can't imagine how my team would even begin to function with this asinine rule in place. Hope you can find something else soon, this place is bottom of the barrel. How bizzare.

Old 01-23-2018, 05:48 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,090,536 times
Behavioral health is special. You never know what will set a patient off. Quiet is best for a number of reasons. A low, comforting tone when you do speak.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:03 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,148,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't consider it easy, unless it's relative to something else. My friends who work in retail have a more difficult time. But, compared to some other jobs I've heard about that require a master's degree, this one seems kind of crappy, especially considering our personnel issues.

But, you're right about the benefits. And, as someone else said, you can leave it behind when you go home and rarely work more than 8 hours a day. The thing is, the only jobs I've ever worked have been for either a library (public and academic) or a university (public). So there are probably a lot of headaches in other positions that I'm not aware of because my work history is so narrow in scope.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:04 PM

26 posts, read 27,246 times
Maybe you can take out a few books and get some info on this.
Nothing like looking at the same miserable mugs day in day out.

Here's a company I would love to work for but it's far away from me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfjnqUyM_24

So I manage to do the best I can to get my coworkers motivated
and to help each other. Yes, we do play basketball, video games,
pitch quarters, whatever it takes. To break the monotony and relieve
some stress. It works and surprisingly we get the jobs done.

Move on, you're better than that and don't need the bs.

On your last day, stand up to your stupervisor
and give him/her a big "F--- O-- & live"

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Some of you might remember a thread I started last year, "told not to speak to coworker, coworker still speaks to me." That situation has not improved, and my organization has chosen to implement an additional rule since several new employees were recently hired and the situation worsened soon afterward.

We are now expected not to speak to anyone else in our building, unless the conversation is strictly work-related. What makes it more complicated, is that if a supervisor discovers employees having a conversation about their kids, pets, love life, the weather, garden, movie they saw, etc., they must chastise the employee(s), and there are repercussions for this behavior. There is a counseling session, verbal and written warnings, and a couple of other steps before termination. That said, since it's a government job, termination is still rare.

So my question is how many of you have worked in an environment wherein you could not talk to anyone unless it was strictly work-related, and how did it work out for you? Are you still at that job?

One of my concerns is that we won't come off as a team and will be loath to help each other, since there is already a fair amount of hostility in the building and no one will be building on their professional relationships, I don't think, because talking is forbidden. We have a number of customers who have behavioral issues that present problems on a regular basis, for a few reasons. Some come into the building intoxicated and cause altercations, some suffer from mental illnesses that aren't well managed and verbally and physically attack other customers and staff, etc. I worry that if our staff is fractured, those customers who cause problems for us and other customers will be able to get away with more bad behaviors.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:44 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,050,016 times
Even if it's at the public library, you still need to be able to communicate with your fellow worker.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:45 PM

13,723 posts, read 12,486,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I have never heard of this. I have worked closely with CEOs and CFOs and those guys are the biggest socializers i have encountered. Whoever runs your workplace must be a huge control freak.

I have no interest in my coworkers' personal lives but I would quit if I were you. Your employer is treating you like you are kids in a classroom.
I agree. That sounds so strange to me. Similarly, I don't have a huge interest in socializing with co-workers, but imagine not being able to say, "Morning Jim, big plans for the weekend?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment