Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 10:39 AM

199 posts, read 166,213 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of people who sit in the office next to me. We'll call them Bob and Susan. Susan is in her late 50s and Bob is in his 20s. They chat all the time and have a friendly relationship (nothing remotely sexual, trust me, she may as well be his mother). Anyway, they eat lunch together and seem like friends.

Well, he was out sick one day and I overheard her tell the boss "Bob isn't doing his job." His productivity doesn't affect her in any way, so I don't see why she would tattle on him. I could see what he was working on, and it looked like he was just waiting on some information which would explain the lack of productivity.

So yeah, don't trust anyone at work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:54 AM

118 posts, read 107,496 times
Too true. Best to learn this early on.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM

5,002 posts, read 2,732,194 times
Trust no one...

Old 01-23-2018, 12:58 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,584,429 times
Keep work at workplace, and you shouldn't have a problem. Don't hang out with your coworkers like they are your friend because they are not. You guys just happen to know one another because of the work.

I see a lot of people making it personal, and it always make me wonder when are they going to get into some kind of argument that would end their relationship as a coworker.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:26 PM

10,622 posts, read 12,165,364 times
Yeah, but in this case whether Bob and Susan were friends or not -- Bob's productivity isn't Susan's business.
But yeah, you certainly wouldn't expect her behavior from someone you'd consider a friend.
Where I worked, IF Bob had been a friend...I'd give HIM a heads up about Susan.

I've had work friends. But we also are mature, responsible people. So it goes without saying, I'll have your back as much as I can. But I can't fall on a sword for you. My work friends give each other a 'heads up" about various things, depends on what it is.
-- Heads up -- they weren't able to find your work last night.
-- Heads up -- they're going to ask your shift to stay for overtime tomorrow
-- Heads up -- a manager is here today.
To me, it's called sticking together.
To my knowledge at no time has anyone I'd call a friend betrayed a confidence.

Now, are there others at work who'll throw you under a bus and run you over twice? Sure
Let's hope you learn who they are -- NOT by first hand experience -- and NOT for anything major.

Old 01-23-2018, 01:28 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,264,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Yeah, but in this case whether Bob and Susan were friends or not -- Bob's productivity isn't Susan's business.
But yeah, you certainly wouldn't expect her behavior from someone you'd consider a friend.
Where I worked, IF Bob had been a friend...I'd give HIM a heads up about Susan.

I've had work friends. But we also are mature, responsible people. So it goes without saying, I'll have your back as much as I can. But I can't fall on a sword for you. My work friends give each other a 'heads up" about various things, depends on what it is.
-- Heads up -- they weren't able to find your work last night.
-- Heads up -- they're going to ask your shift to stay for overtime tomorrow
-- Heads up -- a manager is here today.
To me, it's called sticking together.
To my knowledge at no time has anyone I'd call a friend betrayed a confidence.

Now, are there others at work who'll throw you under a bus and run you over twice? Sure
Let's hope you learn who they are -- NOT by first hand experience -- and NOT for anything major.
And it isn't the OPs either...

Old 01-23-2018, 01:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 921,443 times
Maybe he's not doing his job properly? Maybe he is but there's more to think about? Maybe they get along socially?
Maybe they eat together at lunch because it's convenient? Maybe she's being pressured for results and needs an excuse? Maybe he's been mean about her behind her back too? Maybe he's hanging out with the wrong people? Maybe the boss has instigated a rumor? Maybe this was simple miscommunication? Maybe there's an axe to grind somewhere not in the picture?

One thing I do know - as anybody with any common sense knows - you leave it alone!

Old 01-23-2018, 02:48 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,805,397 times
I don't say squat to managers unless asked. If someone is not pulling their weight, they'll know it long before anyone else.

I just keep to myself.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,338,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
I don't say squat to managers unless asked. If someone is not pulling their weight, they'll know it long before anyone else.

I just keep to myself.
Me too. Not going to tattle on my coworkers unless they're doing something SUPER inappropriate or illegal (which has never happened that I've seen).

Even when I was called down to HR to answer questions about an incident that occurred while I was sitting at my desk, I told them nothing. I didn't hear or see anything (the truth) and I told them as much.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 PM

23,393 posts, read 19,018,776 times
Guess we all have our stories. Personally I knew quite a few people at various jobs I could trust...and did. If they undercut me it was so subtle it didn't affect someone who was honest and did their work. Possibly I was too dense to notice. Or possibly I was lucky enough to work with conscientious adults who mind their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment