Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:19 AM

19 posts, read 8,980 times

Advertisements

What do you think are the job implications of the "move to the cloud"?

My guesses are

# Less demand for roles like Systems Administrator, Support Engineer, etc. because the problems they solve will be automatically taken of by the cloud

# Lower barrier to entry into Software Engineer roles because they won't require as much knowledge of how computers work

Old 02-17-2018, 11:47 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by programmadora View Post

My guesses are

# Less demand for roles like Systems Administrator, Support Engineer, etc. because the problems they solve will be automatically taken of by the cloud

# Lower barrier to entry into Software Engineer roles because they won't require as much knowledge of how computers work
Not bad guesses. Operations will be on the wane, with hosted apps and environments.

My company helps moves from on-prem to Cloud, in Azure, AWS, and Google...among other services. AWS offers incentives that have been pared back a bit lately, while Google's are on the rise. Microsoft can pretty good about incentives to move business small to large to Cloud apps. I'm currently on-loan to Microsoft Consulting Services, that's the bulk of the work I've done past year or so actually. Companies seem to like Microsoft themselves doing the work, we're the subject matter experts who invented Azure and Azure is clearly big news.

We (the collective "we") are in the progress of moving on-prem to Cloud. That will take awhile, probably years. It is, and was, inevitable but all for a few holdouts. Not idea how long that will take for the bulk of it.

AWS and Microsoft papers on the subject are pretty digestible. Take a look, not hard to find. I haven't read up much on Google Cloud yet.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 AM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
The cloud doesn't administer itself, it just someone else's server (System Admins are needed more than ever). Hardware troubleshooting and maintenance is a very small part of being a system admin. And no the 'cloud' doesn't automatically solve problems. That would show you "don't know how computers work"---this is actually becoming a lost skill amongst younger developers as they have too many layers of abstraction.
Some of the comments on this are what I see daily
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16394857

Last edited by rocky1975; 02-17-2018 at 12:00 PM..

Old 02-17-2018, 03:17 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
The Cloud will take some business away from IT, but as mentioned you have to someone trained to use AWS or Azure, it's not plug and play.

I sell cloud/Colo right now and the majority of the time I am dealing with IT managers/directors not office managers so I don't see IT going away completely.

The other tech that will pare down IT depts. is VMware with HA and resiliency

Old 02-17-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
[...] know how computers work"---this is actually becoming a lost skill amongst younger developers as they have too many layers of abstraction.
.. and yet they got hired as a developer, so doesn't that prove my point?

Old 02-17-2018, 03:36 PM

406 posts, read 559,406 times
Smaller companies with limited on-premise infrastructure tend to migrate toward cloud solutions. However, larger companies with on-site datacenters and restrictions on how data needs to be contained and handled cannot simply switch everything over.

Cloud isn't taking over, and sysadmin roles will continue to exist.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:41 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:

My guesses are

How computers "work", as in hardware? Wouldn't this open up a new knowledge area where people have to know and understand how the cloud works? Cloud computing is a different animal. Remember the move from the horse to the automobile. Blacksmiths to auto mechanics.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
How computers "work", as in hardware? Wouldn't this open up a new knowledge area where people have to know and understand how the cloud works? Cloud computing is a different animal. Remember the move from the horse to the automobile. Blacksmiths to auto mechanics.
The trend nowadays is that instead of having a team like

* 4 Software Developer Engineers
* 1 Software Development Engineer in Test
* 1 Development Operations Whatever
* 2 Support Engineers

it would be replaced by a team of 5 SDEs who do all the development, testing, deployment, and monitoring (a.k.a. "on-call duties"). Supposedly the cloud enables this consolidation of roles. I'm wondering who wins and who loses.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:

* 2 Support Engineers

it would be replaced by a team of 5 SDEs who do all the development, testing, deployment, and monitoring (a.k.a. "on-call duties"). Supposedly the cloud enables this consolidation of roles. I'm wondering who wins and who loses.
So 5 people instead of 8? That's the normal process improvements and efficiencies that come with new technology. What you described sounds like a normal agile based team. No winners or losers. The work gets done.

Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:

* 2 Support Engineers

Doesn't that increase demand for Cloud Engineers on the host side? The winners would be the engineers moving to the other side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment