Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:27 PM

359 posts, read 303,444 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, it's me sedona again updating you about my job hunt and wanting to bounce an idea off of you. I've been living with my parents the past 3 months while unemployed and it's high time to fly the coop.

I'm currently pursuing a few job opportunities and two progressed to the on site and phone interview stage. I'm liking my chances for both as they are in line with my studies and I get the feeling that not too many people are eager to move in winter, at least to the one located in the remote town.

Company A, 12 month contract, big city
It's in the next state, ~450 miles away (8 hour drive with stops) in a major city and therefore plenty of housing and transportation options (rail, bus, plane). It also requires many of the bullets listed below that are common to company B but it's much closer and not as cold. I have a 2nd round in person interview next week and the manager has asked for my references so I'm liking my chances. Trouble is that the work environment is said to be noisy (noise cancelling earphones recommended), plus it's actually near a busy airport so it's be hard to get peace and quiet during and after work. I'd like to avoid a super long commute and have started looking at potential housing in surrounding neighborhoods. Excessive noise is what drove me nuts and negatively affected my performance at my previous job.

Company B, 6 month contract, small town

Big investment in time, money and I'm not sure it's worth it. Very challenging and would be big boost for my new career since the responsibilities are precisely what I went to school for. I do enjoy road trips so I would probably love being out on the road, even in winter. Granted it could be risky given the cold winter (think North Dakota temps)...what if something happens out on the road while I'm alone behind the wheel - encounter with wildlife, mechanical breakdown, etc.?

The challenges:
  • relocation of 2000+ miles one way is required
  • unknown salary, I have the first phone interview tomorrow afternoon
  • I'd have to shop for/ buy health insurance (contract position, not eligible from day 1 for benefits) and car insurance
  • I'd have to lease or buy a used car since my dad refuses to let me take his leased spare car out of state for longer than a few days (attending interviews in the next state over is OK, long distance relocation is not)
  • I'm currently unemployed, so how can I get accepted for financing/leasing?
  • remote cold location with shortage of housing (have to ask HR if they have any solutions as so far I only saw one online ad for rooms to rent in the whole town. That was a big problem at my previous job - housing shortage)
  • given the distance from where I am now to there, air travel is most practical but also pricey given remote location. That plus I'm afraid of flying. I have already lost 4 other job opportunities because of this handicap, though
  • accessible by train but it takes like 2.5 days total and requires 4 hours of driving from the station in a major city up to the remote town. Cost is around $700-900 on first glance for 1 way rail trip with meals and a bunk bed included, depending on size/amenities. Driving the entire 2000+ miles would cost even more and take ~36 hours, so if driving 6-8 hrs a day, 4.5-6 days on the road. + overnight lodging like airbnb. Might be fun in summer but seems risky in the deep freeze of winter.
  • I still have a storage unit that's costing me $230/month and most stuff will likely be left unused until I presumably return after the 6 month contract is done.
Any questions you suggest I ask Company B's HR tomorrow during the phone screen?

Last edited by sedonaverde; 02-08-2018 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: clarification: currently pursuing 2 job opportunities, rewrote as company A and B

Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,445,938 times
I say no.

I would never take contract employment nor would I ever leave where I am now... but that's me. Some people do relocate & love it.

What happens after the contract is over?

Old 02-08-2018, 12:58 PM

407 posts, read 372,171 times
All that for a 6 month contract? Nope.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:00 PM

62 posts, read 107,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAviaCA View Post
All that for a 6 month contract? Nope.
This ^^

Especially if they have you as a 1099 worker (Which is what it sounds like) and not as a W2.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM

Thank you for the feedback so far, I've rewritten my OP to include company A and B (currently pursuing a few job opportunities and those 2 have reached the interview phase where I think I have a chance)

Old 02-08-2018, 01:23 PM

The problem is what happens when the contracts end and you don't get a new job right away?

is there a chance to go permanent after your contract ends?

I wouldn't move like that for something that isn't permanent.

My 2 cents.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:29 PM

Good question jdawg, I'll ask HR what happens when the contract ends and why they are offering 6 months initially vs. 12 or permanent.

To me a 6 month contract is a plus in that I could return to my hometown and finally deal with the storage unit and apply locally again, now having new experience under my belt. The easier solution would be to stay closer initially and accept company A's offer (if they make one), visit some flight schools there for some practice flights, return on long weekends to sell off some of my storage unit AND then, once ready, fly to company B's location and work in a remote town. But an offer from company A hasn't come yet and so I have to continue to apply to keep options open.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:16 PM

Why don't you just look for something locally? It seems like you want to be closer to your hometown... what is preventing you from doing that?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:50 PM

I've been looking locally too but there are less opportunities in my field. From the local companies I applied to:
1. Three local companies ignored my application including one of them where a former classmate works & I thought I could get a referral. He accepted my LinkedIn connection request but then ignored my message where I told him I'd email follow up questions about an opening I spotted. I then sent a list of questions that he also ignored. I got the hint and moved on

2. Another company did a phone and on site interview, apparently I was one of 20 applicants out of 200+ that were selected for the on site but the next day rejected.

3. A 5th company is my former employer so that one's out

In short, I haven't been as successful locally.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:19 PM

You've only been unemployed for 3 months. It takes time.

Could you go back to your former employer? It might not be ideal but I mean a job is a job. You could go back there and continue your search locally and if you get something just quit... but that might at least allow you to get out of your parents house...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment