Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:20 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,295 times

Advertisements

I work in an organization that is highly dysfunctional. Our attrition rate has been through the roof. Upper management and the executive team are trying to wrap their minds around it, and hopefully find a solution to stop the bleeding.

One thing I find interesting from the "dearly departed" is how they'll tell everyone how great it is to work at this organization, and how they truly feel that positive change is right around the corner.

Uh, so is this why you're leaving?

My soon to be departed director and I have grown pretty close over the last few weeks. He's been the most honest with me about his departure. He's told me in a conflicted manner that he thinks maybe things will change (though he doubts it), and how he didn't agree with the direction that the CEO was taking the organization. This is the most truthful response I've received from someone who is leaving.

But other, less genuine or truthful departures have told us, with their parting words, that 'they are really optimistic with the direction the organization is going' and all sorts of other BS while they eagerly celebrate their last day at the organization they are so optimistic about. One manager, who just put his notice in last week, told us once a few months back how the organization really needs to focus on employee retention and elevating internal employees. He quit without even another job lined up; that's how much he cared about retaining employment within the org.

Do these people really think that we're that dumb? We all realize that we're on a sinking ship with poor leadership and no clear direction. You don't need to feed us more BS while you walk out the door and leave the organization.

Do departing co-workers do this where you work? Do you find it frustrating or disingenuous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:35 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Thats the root cause right there..... "Upper management and the executive team are trying to wrap their minds around it, and hopefully find a solution to stop the bleeding." Upper management completely aloof and dis-attached to what is going on. Meanwhile, I bet they caused it the culture of dysfunction. These are the types of people that need to be removed from their duties and BLACKBALLED from all corporations. If they screw up one place, chances are very high they run and screw up the next one without Fail. What point is there for these higher ups to run from company to company "implementing their vision" of complete FAILURE?

It never ceases to me amaze me today that higher ups can have all the education in the world and the high income. Yet lack any semblance of logic and common sense and be so aloof to their own employees. . If there is no room for advancement and no investment in the workforce, and literally no ladder to move up (pending have perhaps move across the country and uproot your family), what incentive is there for people to stick around? Do they expect people to just sit around and spin their tires and their only source of more money is some 2-3 percent raise every year?

Im assuming the comments by those managers were just the old tripe of "Not burning the bridge". If you have such an optimistic outlook on the future of the company you wouldn't be leaving.

Problems in corporate America, need to be nipped In the bud right away. If that means removing executives and other higher ups so be it. You can't let problems fester and compound one after or another and continue to let the ship sink. If you do theres no saving the ship

Old 03-01-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Thats the root cause right there..... "Upper management and the executive team are trying to wrap their minds around it, and hopefully find a solution to stop the bleeding." Upper management completely aloof and dis-attached to what is going on. Meanwhile, I bet they caused it the culture of dysfunction. These are the types of people that need to be removed from their duties and BLACKBALLED from all corporations. If they screw up one place, chances are very high they run and screw up the next one without Fail. What point is there for these higher ups to run from company to company "implementing their vision" of complete FAILURE?

It never ceases to me amaze me today that higher ups can have all the education in the world and the high income. Yet lack any semblance of logic and common sense and be so aloof to their own employees. . If there is no room for advancement and no investment in the workforce, and literally no ladder to move up (pending have perhaps move across the country and uproot your family), what incentive is there for people to stick around? Do they expect people to just sit around and spin their tires and their only source of more money is some 2-3 percent raise every year?

Im assuming the comments by those managers were just the old tripe of "Not burning the bridge". If you have such an optimistic outlook on the future of the company you wouldn't be leaving.

Problems in corporate America, need to be nipped In the bud right away. If that means removing executives and other higher ups so be it. You can't let problems fester and compound one after or another and continue to let the ship sink. If you do theres no saving the ship
Great response, Dorian! The answers are so very clear as to what we need, albeit we may be short on the resources to get us there all at once. But there are cost effective ways to retain your people. Relaxed work environments (dress codes), telecommuting, flex schedules, employer-sponsored appreciation events, etc. May as well attempt to keep the people happy while you figure out the financial obstacles to do the rest, like giving raises, investment in employee development, investment in better tools to do our jobs, etc. But upper management refuses to budge on any of these things, at least as of yet. Part of me is suspicious that they are trying to purposely run the organization into the ground.

Old 03-01-2018, 06:59 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
One manager, who just put his notice in last week, told us once a few months back how the organization really needs to focus on employee retention and elevating internal employees. He quit without even another job lined up; that's how much he cared about retaining employment within the org.
I don't think too many companies are all that concerned about employee retention. As long as they can find somebody to do the job, who cares about turnover?

Also, quitting without another job lined up? If I do that, it is bad. If a manager does it, well, I like to see how he spins it.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Also, quitting without another job lined up? If I do that, it is bad. If a manager does it, well, I like to see how he spins it.
People quit all the time without jobs lined up. The only valid reason I've seen against it is not having the appropriate savings in place. Otherwise, it will not impact you much.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:03 PM

251 posts, read 203,956 times
No in my past jobs they were honest why they were leaving:

- More pay
- More appreciation
- More growth
- Less BS

""These are the types of people that need to be removed from their duties and BLACKBALLED from all corporations.""

Unfortunately the exact opposite happens. I have 3 prior bosses (who weren't even my direct manager but two levels above in all cases) who have moved on to wreck other departments and other large organizations. Friends in high places.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:08 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
People quit all the time without jobs lined up. The only valid reason I've seen against it is not having the appropriate savings in place. Otherwise, it will not impact you much.
Yes, you're right. But there are plenty of hiring managers out there who will judge you negatively for gaps in employment. We're supposed to constantly be tied up to a job every single day.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Yes, you're right. But there are plenty of hiring managers out there who will judge you negatively for gaps in employment. We're supposed to constantly be tied up to a job every single day.
Maybe some will, but usually you're hearing this advice from Corporate Apologists and company shills. They say this, because it serves their best interest to lock you down, not yours to free yourself up with choices. It's not based in fact, it's based on their intentions to keep you scared from doing anything to better yourself.

You do you. You'll be alright, trust me.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:17 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Yea.. From my experience anyways, Ive seen more than my fair share of individuals running things that just shouldn't be. They're in over their heads. They don't have that encyclopedic knowledge of the inner workings of the operations and manpower that warrants they should be in those jobs. Sure, they can manage the "president's speech". The company "rah Rah" of vague trash and "hopes and dreams and We're gonna implement this in the future (while everyone rolls their eyes as the company continues to sink into the depths of despair as they know the executive leadership teams haven't made one good decision yet, so what would make anyone think they will in the future? ) , but what real VALUE to they bring.

I shouldn't be managing the space shuttle program at NASA. I know that. I shouldn't be doing electrical engineering . I don't know **** about electrical equipment, wires or engineering AT ALL Hell I would end up burning a building down most likely . I shouldn't be a carpenter.. Im horrible with tools and couldn't measure a car wreck. I wouldn't make a good department manager as I don't like dealing with people every day and Im an introvert who doesn't feel comfortable communicating in person. . Theres just things were better at than others. Theres no shame in admitting you're not cut up for the job. If you're creating the problem and not cut out for the job, while making life hell on your employees and making one bad business decisions after another and losing the confidence of the company , its time for a new line of work. Pride/Ego is a scary thing in humans sadly.

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-01-2018 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,208,902 times
employees who play the corporate game best know its not in their best interest to openly badmouth the employer even if they already gave notice and are just waiting for their last day. Rumour gets around eventually about how so and so said they leaving because hated the company, the pay, managers, coworkers etc...thats how you will be last remembered as a complainer and you never know when you might run into former colleagues in the future in your next job who will be your manager or higher up and they will remember... So just best to keep your complaints to yourself and leave on a good note
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment