Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 06:35 AM

1,073 posts, read 627,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You don’t know what you’re talking about. The typical Indian H-1B contractor does repetitive task IT. Or repetitive task QA. They do not do software engineering. A software engineer creates intellectual property. You don’t normally use contractors to create the crown jewels of your company that are protected by patent and copyright law. You use full time employees for that. You pay them well. The good ones get raises, promotions, stock options and the rest of the usual compensation because it’s really important that you retain them. If you’re using Indian contractors to write software, it’s probably pretty meatball stuff that has little commercial value.
LOL, ok. Pretty sure I know what is going on at my company.
And this isn’t the only company that does things like this. I’ve seen lots of people from India do SE activities. Sorry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 09:38 AM

24,574 posts, read 18,475,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
LOL, ok. Pretty sure I know what is going on at my company.
And this isn’t the only company that does things like this. I’ve seen lots of people from India do SE activities. Sorry...
Software engineers do product development. What product is this?

Old 03-06-2018, 09:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,615,031 times
Such a stereotype. Sure the majority of SE's are introverts, but most are far from socially awkward.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:07 PM

20,714 posts, read 16,510,085 times
It's a stereotype...certainly not everyone fits that. And it's a little insulting to think firstly that you can't be "normal" and be a good engineer and secondly that engineers aren't "normal" to start with.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:27 PM

17,501 posts, read 12,446,910 times
In my experience the most successful ones are those that can code well and make friends with those outside the development group and are able to speak in public for presentations and such. They go on to be directors/VPs/etc.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:06 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,158,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
Can they be "socially" normal though-- that is what I was asking. Its not a bad thing to be different by the way. But the perception was on some boards is SEs can barely look someone in the eye when talking or can't talk about anything not code related.

I'm all for being different but being able to carry on a conversation and not look at your shoes is very important. Wouldn't you agree? That is the perception of CS students turned SE by a career minded site.
Depending on where you grew up, looking someone in the eye may be considered rude.

I've dealt with a lot of engineers - who are the folks who could have grown up to be programmers if they had programmers in those days. There are quite a few of them who are not socially skilled and have a hard time talking with non-engineer types. A lot of it has to do with their precision in thought which then comes out in their speech and the non-engineer types just have a totally different bias. It's really hard for them to find enough "congruent database to interact" (engineer speak) or "matching vibes, man" (non-engineer speak). An engineer can come up with "air embolisms entrained within the system pathways" whereas non-engineers would say "bubbles in the pipes". Sort of the same thing for general purposes, but for conciseness, generally the engineerese will allow for more critical thinking on the subject.

As for if a socially astute person can thrive as an engineer, it probably depends on if that person also has the ability for logical and critical thinking.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,198,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
In my experience the most successful ones are those that can code well and make friends with those outside the development group and are able to speak in public for presentations and such. They go on to be directors/VPs/etc.
Correct, of course.

You've just described most, if not all, technical management consultants, too. Those that work for big names like McKinsey, Boston, Accenture, PWC. And lesser-known, that I deal with here in Seattle like Slalom, Bridge Partners, and so many others. Tens of thousands to thousands down to just tens of people. Common theme is ability to hope from business the tech and back.

Sure, the hard core tech prefer to stay there. They can be a little tech-centric. But the bulk of them are customer-facing. There are some exceptions, but not many. The product and project managers are definitely customer facing. Senior and exec managers, clearly. Architects, too, though I sometimes deal with a few who prefer to be out of the limelight...they limit themselves a bit, though.

End of the day, agreed. There is no escaping that ability to fit in and present well to others is an advantage to the career.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:42 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,524,161 times
who the F cares? I am a software engineer because is a good career and it pays the bills. But i do have a life outside of that. I read, I take dance classes, I travel, I cook, I'm artsy... yes, there are nerds and such but you deal with them at work, conferences, perhaps go have beer with them a few times and talk about science fiction and AI but you don't have to marry them or live 24/7 with them, so why do you care so much?

Life is the way you make it. You have other interests, pursue them. There is no software engineer police to come after you if you have other interests. Best of luck!

Old 03-06-2018, 05:27 PM

3,364 posts, read 1,854,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You don’t know what you’re talking about. The typical Indian H-1B contractor does repetitive task IT. Or repetitive task QA. They do not do software engineering. A software engineer creates intellectual property. You don’t normally use contractors to create the crown jewels of your company that are protected by patent and copyright law. You use full time employees for that. You pay them well. The good ones get raises, promotions, stock options and the rest of the usual compensation because it’s really important that you retain them. If you’re using Indian contractors to write software, it’s probably pretty meatball stuff that has little commercial value.
Do I know you??
Sounds very much like my experience.

But times have changed, and outsourcing/H1B workers are likely much more common.

PS... I'm an ENTJ.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:13 PM

7,448 posts, read 2,850,464 times
Software engineers are often perfectly normal, after all I am one and I have been doing it for near on a decade now.

*puts on clown costume and walks off into the night*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment