Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:29 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times

Advertisements

Why yes! It was so much fun to watch a mommy's girl come in,get a company car,carte blanche visa,and show up for an hour long meeting. Then pick up a large paycheck each week so she could pay her nanny. Made my being ousted all the more enjoyable. When all is said and done, I produced and gained some skills. This 35 yr old imp only gained a reputation for being 'kept' by mommy and her 'kept' hubby. Upset am I? Sure since i worked with the ones bringing in the bacon . She wasn't one of them. But cushy she is...so it goes. Welcome to capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 06:37 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I worked in front line tech support for an internship. When the phones ring, they needed to take care of their customers. When not on the phone with them, they needed to man the phones. Otherwise, there were no other restrictions.
--One person was reading a text book (presumably, taking classes)
--Another was knitting something
--Another was playing video games on his workstation
--Yet another was watching movies on his portable DVD player

I've met several office workers who had the attitude of "that's what the job is... 4 hours of honest work, and 4 hours on the internet".

Others who were hired through connections, but couldn't be fired for the same reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
Some are miserable doing anything. I'm sure I could find people that would think that job was beyond boring, and it would drive them crazy. The old saying is true, "Life is 5% what happens to you and 95% how you react to it.".

I notice your threads indicate you're miserable with your career choice. Out of college, I had a boss that told me even if I didn't like what I was doing for them (customer service) to do the best I could, because eventually it would lead to other opportunities. I took his advice to heart and a couple of years later, they pegged me for a special assignment that became my full-time job. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years now and love it.
There are also who love any job, and show far too much loyalty in it... "not so optional" 80 hour weeks, being screamed at, no clear objectives of what you're supposed to be doing (other than let's work on our communications skills ), or jobs that can be outright dangerous when you didn't sign up for that sort of thing (and no, not talking about becoming a Navy SEAL and then not being comfy with getting shot at). Like a bad relationship, break it off! However, other cases, compromise, work, and choosing your battles are still good to exercise.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:52 PM

532 posts, read 446,436 times
My current job is pretty cushy, I paid my dues to get here.

I'm 58 yrs old, I completed a Nursing degree 20yrs ago. I had 11yrs military prior so went back in and did 15 more. Ive worked as an EMT, Med Surg, ICU, ER, OR, Primary Care clinics, Nurse Manager and executive leadership.

Now...
I review records and referrals for payment, work in a private office , music blaring youtube going with a movie and make 45/hr , paid holidays, 30days paid vacation, good profit sharing plan

Still...gotta admit its boring...miss the "hands on" and adrenaline rush.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatislife9814 View Post
All she did was Netflix and do homework while getting paid. The pay was pretty decent too. So jealous
Once in a while is fine, but that sounds horrible for everyday... why bother get out of bed to be bored all day?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:48 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Generally the only ones I see with "cushy" jobs are the higher ups (Generally executive level or just below who sit around in "meetings" or company outings or on the golf course all day) at companies. The rest generally have to actually WORK and usually be held accountable for a living .

The old adage generally seems to be true. "The higher up you go, the less you have to work or be held accountable". Generally the grubs at the top usually have a few scapegoats lined up so they can be blamed when the place hits the crapper.

And if they finally get the hose thrown on them and canned, ehhh, No big loss. They have generally made enough to money to retire or at least not have to work for a long time and already have connections in place to where they can go to the next company in line and SCREW that one up too. Now THAT is a cushy job. To where you can make a buttload of cash regardless of how much of an utter FAILURE you are
I like the cut of your jib, DorianRo.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:55 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I had a temp job (pre-internet, so no surfing online to pass the time) where they asked me if I had brought a book with me to read. I was temping for the administrative assistant of high up executive (don't remember the actual position all these years later) and his admin also took vacation. No one expected me to do any actual work other than take phone messages, and most people knew he wasn't there so didn't bother to call to leave a message. But because he was so high level, it would look bad to have his assistant's desk empty for two weeks so I got to sit there. I suppose some people would consider that cushy but I found it tedious and boring, even with being able to read. I'm happier with jobs where I keep busy, it makes the time pass quickly.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:38 PM

17,575 posts, read 13,355,792 times
I read every one of your posts,WOW!

Serious advice, seek professional help soon. A website is not professional help

Old 03-06-2018, 09:55 PM

7,453 posts, read 4,686,150 times
NFL holders.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,951 times
My last job was pretty cushy for the most part....
Worked as a Program Manager, mid 30s, was there since I was 27....so about 9 years.
Definitely busted my behind and covered for a lot of people, but the last year or two there were pretty cushy. Did essentially nothing I didn't want to do....private office, nobody but the CEO told me anything to do or not to do, and he wasn't always around. Pay was in the 150k range. Came and left as I pleased.

But it came at a cost. Lost some of my edge. Got a bit lazy and bored. Left for a better job. It was good for a while and the life style helped me build financial security since I had so much time to tend to financial matters...

Old 03-07-2018, 08:34 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
I have a pretty easy job that pays well! I work PT as an Insurance Agent selling auto, home and life insurance. I'm by myself at the office most of the time and it's a pretty slow agency. It's easy to quote and sell insurance and the customer service aspect is easy too. I can also work from home if need be. I make more than a lot of my friends do at their full time jobs so I'm pretty happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment