Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 5,829 times

Advertisements

Any cool stories of someone with the cushiest job that you know of? I had one friend who worked in a computer lab at school. All she did was sit on the computer and help people if they have any questions with using the computer. Most of the people are tech savy so they have no questions. All she did was Netflix and do homework while getting paid. The pay was pretty decent too. So jealous
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 01:27 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,339,597 times
Some are miserable doing anything. I'm sure I could find people that would think that job was beyond boring, and it would drive them crazy. The old saying is true, "Life is 5% what happens to you and 95% how you react to it.".

I notice your threads indicate you're miserable with your career choice. Out of college, I had a boss that told me even if I didn't like what I was doing for them (customer service) to do the best I could, because eventually it would lead to other opportunities. I took his advice to heart and a couple of years later, they pegged me for a special assignment that became my full-time job. I've been doing it for nearly 30 years now and love it.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:30 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,748 times
My current job can be, but I enjoy being stimulated and having opportunities for growth and learning. So it's not the best fit for me, but some people I've talked to think it's a great situation.

We do have some busy times of year, but most of the time it's pretty chill.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:34 PM

This is more of a fun thread. So any cool stories would be great.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,062,090 times
Street walker? At least you could lay down on the job!

Oh wait, but you'd have to walk the street first.

How about a mattress tester?

Old 03-06-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Street walker? At least you could lay down on the job!

Oh wait, but you'd have to walk the street first.

How about a mattress tester?
People that you actually know of.

Old 03-06-2018, 03:22 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,903,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatislife9814 View Post
Any cool stories of someone with the cushiest job that you know of? I had one friend who worked in a computer lab at school. All she did was sit on the computer and help people if they have any questions with using the computer. Most of the people are tech savy so they have no questions. All she did was Netflix and do homework while getting paid. The pay was pretty decent too. So jealous
To me that sounds like a major bore. To do nothing productive, help anyone learn, learn anything new myself, and possibly feel a bit guilty about sneaking around on the web and not doing what I was being handed money to do? Not cushy to be nothing more than a seat warmer.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:03 PM

6,126 posts, read 4,614,901 times
I used to find myself jealous by people who had what I thought were "cushy" jobs because they seemed that way from the outside. However, as I've gotten older and hopefully wiser I realize that there are some jobs that look that way, but are anything but that way. I can think it's cushy when a dentist office closes up on Fridays, but do have the skill set to be a dentist myself to know everything that's involved? Do I know how many times they are getting emergency calls at odd hours outside their office hours? No. Do I know how many hours they are spending on the business aspect of their practice outside of regular office hours?

Teachers are another example. They may only be actively teaching students in a classroom from 8 AM- 3 PM, Monday through Friday with summers off. Sounds cushy, right? Until you consider all the hours (nights, weekends, and summers "off") planning classes, grading papers, doing administrative work, doing continuing education, responding to parents, etc., which eats up way more time than what someone claims is excessive leisure time without being knowledgable about the time commitment to do the job right.

Basically, while there are some jobs that are underpaid/overpaid for their duties and it's easy to view a job as "cushy" but until you have all the information and direct experience with everything involved, it's hard to know whether that's the full picture or not.

Last edited by Jowel; 03-06-2018 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-06-2018, 04:12 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,666,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatislife9814 View Post
Any cool stories of someone with the cushiest job that you know of?
Define "cushiest".

I could say me... I work from home, am rarely "on the clock" for eight hours in a day, spend a fair bit of time at conferences and events, part of my job is to take people out to lunch or dinner, etc. From the outside, it looks incredibly "cushy". But there's a reason they pay me what they do to do what I do.

From a couple of the comments, it could appear that you're looking for a "cushy" job, and that isn't ever going to happen, not unless you have a close relative who's incredibly wealthy or influential. Getting to a job like this takes decades of climbing the ladder. I've been doing what I do for twenty years now, and I've had to go through some pretty crappy jobs earlier in my career. And later, too, but that's usually different, because after you attain a certain level of expertise, you aren't so worried about getting fired or laid off or just moving on.

I've said it before, I'll say it again... do what you love, or at least really like, and that's how you get to a "cushy" job. No amount of money or bennies or fancy offices can counteract doing a soul-sucking job.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:30 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,992,785 times
Generally the only ones I see with "cushy" jobs are the higher ups (Generally executive level or just below who sit around in "meetings" or company outings or on the golf course all day) at companies. The rest generally have to actually WORK and usually be held accountable for a living .

The old adage generally seems to be true. "The higher up you go, the less you have to work or be held accountable". Generally the grubs at the top usually have a few scapegoats lined up so they can be blamed when the place hits the crapper.

And if they finally get the hose thrown on them and canned, ehhh, No big loss. They have generally made enough to money to retire or at least not have to work for a long time and already have connections in place to where they can go to the next company in line and SCREW that one up too. Now THAT is a cushy job. To where you can make a buttload of cash regardless of how much of an utter FAILURE you are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment