Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 06:06 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,909,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyEsther View Post
Thank you for the replies. Sorry I haven't responded in a while. Now all the clients have some type of disability, but most of them aren't severely intellectually disabled. I just felt it wasn't a wise decision for her a 22 year old to go into some 50 year old man's home. I am older than 50 and know what can happen when a 50 year old man invite a 22 year old home alone when they aren't relatives. She wasn't listening to me so I had to restrain her to keep her from running off to his house. At least if her mother then allows her to go to his house she will be responsible for anything that happens. If she gets murdered her mother could sue me for allowing her to go into his home.

This client also refuses to apply for SSI. She never had a real job. She is receiving services at a state vocational rehab agency. All the people I know who used this agency never got jobs. I told her if she ever finds a good paying job she can get off SSI. But for now she can apply and I'll help her in the process. She refuses. I guess she thinks SSI is living off the government. Everyone thinks that when they're young. When you get to my age you will feel differently.

This client is friends with many people in the group. Another client asked me if she could come and I said yes. She filled out an application and she didn't have Medicaid. She is on her parents insurance and they hadn't paid a deductible. So I saw her for free. We have an ambulette that takes some clients to and from the group. She takes public transportation to the group but after the group she takes the ambulette. The ambulette is for people who have Medicaid and in the computer system, but if someone riding is in the computer system this driver will take anyone as long as there is room in the van.
It's really not up to you what people do on their own time, whether visiting someone you don't think they shouldn't or signing up for disability! If you were MY social worker, I would be going up the chain of command about you infringing your OPINION on others. I would have you jailed too as well as fired. And as far as applying for disability, that is also totally up to the client. You are apparently trying to punish the girl for not following your advice. I am in this field as well. You don't get to force people, even people with mental disorders to do things just because you want them to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 07:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,557,191 times
In this day and age, when you lay your hands on someone for anything, other than self defense, you are in the wrong, at least if they are an adult. It was not your decision to make to keep a 22 yr old woman from going into anyones home, they are an adult. You would have been wise to call this woman's mother to warn her of your concerns, but it surely is not your right to physically restrain anyone.

You might consider researching if accepting responsibility and pleading for leniency would be your best option, especially considering your intent was ultimately for this woman's protection.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:14 PM

9,854 posts, read 13,727,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyEsther View Post
I just felt it wasn't a wise decision for her a 22 year old to go into some 50 year old man's home. I am older than 50 and know what can happen when a 50 year old man invite a 22 year old home alone when they aren't relatives.

This client also refuses to apply for SSI. She never had a real job. She is receiving services at a state vocational rehab agency. All the people I know who used this agency never got jobs. I told her if she ever finds a good paying job she can get off SSI. But for now she can apply and I'll help her in the process. She refuses. I guess she thinks SSI is living off the government. Everyone thinks that when they're young. When you get to my age you will feel differently.

It sounds like there is some transference or even enmeshment between you and your client. As a social worker you need to respect her self determination in deciding whether or not she goes with this man. Yes, I agree, it would be a bad decision, but it doesn't sound like mom is legal guardian and she can make her own decision. End of story.

It also sounds like you've got two roles, one as a group facilitator and one as a case manager. I would try my best to separate the two. Do you remember the stages of change? Your 22 year old is obviously safe with where she is at and doesn't want to get a job. Explore the reasons why she is safe. Is she worried about getting a job? Doing something different? Messing up? Losing her job? There is a certain culture of people with SSI have the security of a check and can navigate resources, such as yourself, to get the assistance she needs to meet her living expenses and needs. If she lives with her mother she may be enabling this behavior. How involved is mom? There is a lot more here than just a hard headed 22 year old who doesn't want to listen to a 50 something year old social worker who is looking out for her best interest. You've gotta do some motivational interviewing with her to get to the bottom of this. And if you can't do that, because of skill or lack of time (I bet it's the latter) than you should refer her out to someone who can. Is there an organization associated with her diagnosis you could refer her to for wrap around services?

Old 03-13-2018, 08:56 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
It sounds like there is some transference or even enmeshment between you and your client. As a social worker you need to respect her self determination in deciding whether or not she goes with this man. Yes, I agree, it would be a bad decision, but it doesn't sound like mom is legal guardian and she can make her own decision. End of story.

It also sounds like you've got two roles, one as a group facilitator and one as a case manager. I would try my best to separate the two. Do you remember the stages of change? Your 22 year old is obviously safe with where she is at and doesn't want to get a job. Explore the reasons why she is safe. Is she worried about getting a job? Doing something different? Messing up? Losing her job? There is a certain culture of people with SSI have the security of a check and can navigate resources, such as yourself, to get the assistance she needs to meet her living expenses and needs. If she lives with her mother she may be enabling this behavior. How involved is mom? There is a lot more here than just a hard headed 22 year old who doesn't want to listen to a 50 something year old social worker who is looking out for her best interest. You've gotta do some motivational interviewing with her to get to the bottom of this. And if you can't do that, because of skill or lack of time (I bet it's the latter) than you should refer her out to someone who can. Is there an organization associated with her diagnosis you could refer her to for wrap around services?
The OP’s already said the woman is in vocational rehab, but the OP thinks it’s worthless and she should just apply for SSI instead. That’s not up to the OP to decide. Why on earth would someone who is 22 want to apply for SSI when she’s in a program to help her gain skills to find a job? If the young woman just aged out of high school at 21 or 22, as is sometimes the norm for people in special education programs, it’s not like she would have had years to be out there finding a job. Shouldn’t the young woman first try to use the resources to help her become self sufficient and then move onto applying for SSI if that isn’t successful?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,790,274 times
It is obvious you had no right to restrain this young woman, and you did you were committing assault on her and any damage to you was self defence and was her legal right to protect herself.

My daughter in law is a case worker for people of all ages with worse mental problems than this young woman. Unless a doctor has issued the right papers and a court has issued an order naming some one as her legal guardian, she can make her own decisions. After the investigation is completed, you stand a strong chance of losing your license.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:07 AM

274 posts, read 295,470 times
Definitely sounds like a sticky situation. While you may have had the best intentions overall given the situation, it would still boil down to what your workplace policy is and everything regarding this client. You mentioned your boss supports you, which is good, but what is the workplace policy for a 22 year old client here that wants to go to someone else's home? There may or may not be one and you would have had to use your better judgement.

Although, I'm not sure if restraining would have been the best method here as she was not exactly being a danger to herself or others I guess it makes sense that she would be upset. She may not understand why exactly she was not able to make that decision. Perhaps she felt frustrated and that she was being treated like a child rather than an adult.

All in all, no, it would not have been a good idea for her to go to some 50 something's home. I totally agree with you. I also know in places like social work, case managing, and things of this sort it boils down to laws and policies rather than moral judgement, unfortunately.

If her mother was the legal guardian and was to make all of her decision making and had a form saying that she must come straight home and things like that then it would be one issue. Although, if these papers aren't in place, it may have been another.

In the end, if you do end up losing your license, if you have an option to appeal it then perhaps do so if you feel appropriate and be honest that you feared for your client's life and well-being, therefore you acted by (details here). If your license is gone for good then consider plan B, will you find a different job? What's doable? What's not doable?

Old 03-14-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The OP’s already said the woman is in vocational rehab, but the OP thinks it’s worthless and she should just apply for SSI instead. That’s not up to the OP to decide. Why on earth would someone who is 22 want to apply for SSI when she’s in a program to help her gain skills to find a job? If the young woman just aged out of high school at 21 or 22, as is sometimes the norm for people in special education programs, it’s not like she would have had years to be out there finding a job. Shouldn’t the young woman first try to use the resources to help her become self sufficient and then move onto applying for SSI if that isn’t successful?
Until you work with this community on a regular basis you don't understand how their heads work. I work with a population that is 97% economically disadvantaged and at least 60% non-English speaking. SSI, if in the full amount, can be up to about, what $1044 a month? If someone works a minimum wage job (here in Texas it is $7.25 an hour) before taxes they would make about $1160 a month. Take out takes and it comes out to exactly the same amount, $1044. Why bother going through training for something that pays you the exact same? You have the security of the check without having to do anything else for it. Do you see where I'm coming from? Sure, she could go through training and move her way up, but no matter what you get that check, and the more you work the more you lose in your check. It sounds like a win win to me to half ass some vocational rehab programs that never result in any jobs then to actually seek good employment. I hope the OP realizes that. I think I'm done discussing this with people that have no understanding of social work and what social workers do after this post, though.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:00 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,700,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Until you work with this community on a regular basis you don't understand how their heads work. I work with a population that is 97% economically disadvantaged and at least 60% non-English speaking. SSI, if in the full amount, can be up to about, what $1044 a month? If someone works a minimum wage job (here in Texas it is $7.25 an hour) before taxes they would make about $1160 a month. Take out takes and it comes out to exactly the same amount, $1044. Why bother going through training for something that pays you the exact same? You have the security of the check without having to do anything else for it. Do you see where I'm coming from? Sure, she could go through training and move her way up, but no matter what you get that check, and the more you work the more you lose in your check. It sounds like a win win to me to half ass some vocational rehab programs that never result in any jobs then to actually seek good employment. I hope the OP realizes that. I think I'm done discussing this with people that have no understanding of social work and what social workers do after this post, though.
I have worked with social service agencies (government) for many years. Whether people like it or not, the answer is not to apply for SSI, which with your vast experience you should know is around $750 a month. Being a bagged at Publix may not be glamorous, but it has good benefits and will give you better insurance than Medicaid.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I have worked with social service agencies (government) for many years. Whether people like it or not, the answer is not to apply for SSI, which with your vast experience you should know is around $750 a month. Being a bagged at Publix may not be glamorous, but it has good benefits and will give you better insurance than Medicaid.
Not everyone knows that. This is why I suggested motivational interviewing and digging a bit deeper and not being judgmental about the client not applying for benefits. There's so much transference going on that I can feel it through my computer screen.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,790,274 times
What the OP is trying to do, is to get a young woman aged 22, to give up on being able to lead a normal life, and accept the fact that she is not as good as other people.

That is exactly what happens to a young man or woman, when they go onto a lifetime of SSI. They have given up, and have no hope for the future.

This young woman is apparently still trying to find her way, wanting to be a normal person, not a stupid retard as she will have been called in the past numerous times.

On the other hand, the OP wants to tell her what she should do, and who she can associate with, and who she cannot associate with. And if necessary, to use illegal force to restrain her to make her listen to her social worker and do what she says. The OP is finding, that in doing so, she has overstepped her authority, and is waiting a decision as to whether she can remain at her job. She is blaming this young woman for her problems, saying this young woman is the cause of her being investigated and may lose her license. Reasons for her personal problems, is this young woman:

1: Won't just give up, and accept the fact she is not normal, is retarded, and she will never be able to support herself at a job, or be able to make her own decisions as the OP wants to dictate to her.

2: Won't let the OP help her get signed up for SSI, and give up any hope for the future. The young woman still fighting to be normal, and the OP resents this and wants to tell her what to do.

3: Won't let the OP tell her who she can and cannot be friends with. Unless the young woman has been certified as unable to handle her own affairs, and a guardian has been appointed to watch over her affairs and make her decisions, she still has her own free agency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment