Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,143,474 times

Advertisements

At previous performance/development reviews the idea was to set a goal, develop an action plan to achieve that goal, and the review your performance against that goal later in the year.

Here are some issues i noticed:

Management put the emphasis on the employee to come up with some sort of goal for the department, they took the role of being a facilitator, but never gave strong input in the goal chosen, opinions or the slightest bit of encouragement. There mindset was it’s up to you to develop your career, but surely as a manager they need to set overall goals for their department and with some discussion could become one of your goals.

Often employees were swamped with there day to day duties, they are not being supported in setting a goal, and did not bother with setting any goals, and the manager did not object and would choose some trivial goal that could be achieved easily to tick the boxes and follow the process.

They verbally said things like if you need some training which might aid your profession development, or help let us know and we can book you on training courses, but getting a training course paid rarely happened unless there was an absolute need for it by the client or you were close to management or perhaps on low salary like graduate. There was always excuses like, well that won’t actually help you perform your job better or things are bad at the moment and we cannot afford it, your lucky to have job, then you would hear of someone else in a different department doing the training course you wanted on, and there in a different job completely.

Point is this, they had a HR process to follow to develop their staff but most of the managers effectively ignored it and did not develop their staff and ignored the process, paid for no training and set no real goals for their staff other than the day to day work.

They should not have these development plans for their staff on there corporate website if they do not intend to honour them, may as well be an independent contractor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 06:50 PM

5,049 posts, read 2,754,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
At previous performance/development reviews the idea was to set a goal, develop an action plan to achieve that goal, and the review your performance against that goal later in the year.

Management put the emphasis on the employee to come up with some sort of goal for the department, they took the role of being a facilitator, but never gave strong input in the goal chosen, opinions or the slightest bit of encouragement. There mindset was it’s up to you to develop your career, but surely as a manager they need to set overall goals for their department and with some discussion could become one of your goals.

Often employees were swamped with there day to day duties, they are not being supported in setting a goal, and did not bother with setting any goals, and the manager did not object and would choose some trivial goal that could be achieved easily to tick the boxes and follow the process.

They verbally said things like if you need some training which might aid your profession development, or help let us know and we can book you on training courses, but getting a training course paid rarely happened unless there was an absolute need for it by the client or you were close to management or perhaps on low salary like graduate. There was always excuses like, well that won’t actually help you perform your job better or things are bad at the moment and we cannot afford it, your lucky to have job, then you would hear of someone else in a different department doing the training course you wanted on, and there in a different job completely.

Point is this, they had a HR process to follow to develop their staff but most of the managers effectively ignored it and did not develop their staff and ignored the process, paid for no training and set no real goals for their staff other than the day to day work.

They should not have these development plans for their staff on there corporate website if they do not intend to honour them, may as well be an independent contractor.
I had something very similar at my last IT job, with the same outcomes. The reason why we had this was for smoke and mirrors propaganda purposes to show other stakeholders and outsiders that management cared about employee development and that employees could write their own ticket and go up the company ladder with the proper training and development. Of course that was not the case. But it was fun to pretend.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:40 AM

That’s interesting that your in your case it was done for the purpose of showing the stakeholders possibly like clients that they are an organisation that develop and train their staff - like many things in the corporate world it’s perception management and somewhat of a con job.

Notice they won’t have these things in any kind of employment contract, everything is at the discretion of a line manager, and in cases where you do manage to get something out of them your asked to keep it quiet from other employees so not to create jealousy.

I guess it’s more fun to pretend than be told they truth is we don’t value your job, believe it’s worth training you, your not rise up in this organisation, your here get on with the drudge work.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:58 AM

5,049 posts, read 2,754,128 times
Quote:
That’s interesting that your in your case it was done for the purpose of showing the stakeholders possibly like clients that they are an organisation that develop and train their staff - like many things in the corporate world it’s perception management and somewhat of a con job.

Notice they won’t have these things in any kind of employment contract, everything is at the discretion of a line manager, and in cases where you do manage to get something out of them your asked to keep it quiet from other employees so not to create jealousy.

I guess it’s more fun to pretend than be told they truth is we don’t value your job, believe it’s worth training you, your not rise up in this organisation, your here get on with the drudge work.
Yes, exactly.

Old 02-23-2018, 09:32 AM

35,194 posts, read 31,510,336 times
If you want to develop, you basically have to be extremely assertive, and ultimately in an organization and under a manager that wants that development to occur.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:00 PM

23,491 posts, read 19,184,248 times
Quote:

Performance reviews are notorious for either being ineffective or for being ignored on a day-to-day level. I use reviews I've received as one of many bits of information that MIGHT be helpful. Usually, the improvements I have to make in my own performance come from other sources....my colleagues, my discipline peers, my own research, and staying honest with myself about what I want. I don't wait for a performance review recommendation to happen to me, I preempt it and take action myself.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Performance reviews are notorious for either being ineffective or for being ignored on a day-to-day level. I use reviews I've received as one of many bits of information that MIGHT be helpful. Usually, the improvements I have to make in my own performance come from other sources....my colleagues, my discipline peers, my own research, and staying honest with myself about what I want. I don't wait for a performance review recommendation to happen to me, I preempt it and take action myself.
Imagine if these type of things were taken seriously, and goals set for you with a financial incentives for achieving these goals. It would make a massive difference to motivation levels and performance.

Instead you get a base salary no incentivisation, no goals, no bonuses, A HR process for developing staff that most managers ignore.

Old 04-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I was once told at performance review - at this company we like to break people down and then build them back up again - it Sort of horrified almost like a cult which breaks down a persons current belief system and builds them back with a new belief system.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:01 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,281,791 times
Quote:

This is the model currently used at Honda and other large companies. It is basically designed to allow management to build up certain employees they have targeted for promotions and tear down those deemed as “not good enough”. Performance reviews are basically worthless in these companies because the results are pre-determined long before the actual final review takes place. A certain % will get awesome reviews and a certain % will get a bad review. Google “GM Performance Review System” if you want to better understand the system a lot of companies are migrating to.

Old 04-02-2018, 09:25 PM

12,901 posts, read 9,158,664 times
That is essentially the system we're under. Sure, we have to come up with goals and the supervisor has to "counsel" us on them and agree to them. Then we put them aside for the rest of they year and work on day to day tasks. They only come out again when it's time to write the annual review. Our management has learned the easiest thing to do is give everyone an average. Because average takes no paperwork. But either above or below and they have to document all the reasons for the score and justify it through several levels of management review. Too much work for the manager. Those who get a + are predetermined beforehand and, since it's a zero sum game, three or four people have to get randomly screwed to pay the one who gets a plus. Because all the pluses and minuses must add to zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment