Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 02:16 PM

43 posts, read 32,002 times

Advertisements

Is it 2 weeks just like a regular full time job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,104,604 times
I don't believe it is. I'm pretty sure there is a contract involved, and you would have to read your contract to see about provisions for leaving once the agreed upon terms have been fulfilled.

Contracts fall under Tort Law. You cant just walk away like a regular job, I don't think.

Typically, a contract is used to solidify binding agreements regarding the job.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:34 PM

35,285 posts, read 31,658,660 times
If you're a W-2 no benefit contractor with no specified length duration, I'd just give two weeks.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:38 PM

W2 through an agency w/ benefits at the agency. Called a "contractor" and they say it's a "12-month" contract but there's no contract.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:58 PM

29,559 posts, read 22,927,993 times
Professionalism and common courtesy is never wrong, whether contract, temp, permanent, etc.

Contract Professionals! Is Two-Weeks' Notice Really Required?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ssignment.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...tract-job.html

How To Resign From a Contract Position With Grace

Quote:
Giving your recruiter and/or employer a two week’s notice before leaving sends a message of accountability and respect, and leaves the relationship on a good note.

“I once worked with a gentleman who resigned from a position because he got another job. He put in two week’s notice, and worked hard up until his last day,” says Aerotek Senior Professional Account Recruiting Manager Rachel Klick.

This worked out in the man’s favor. Klick adds, “Two years later, after the job he went to didn’t work out, he called me to ask for help. Because he’d honored his commitment to a proper notice, I was glad to endorse him as a reliable employee. We found him a great opportunity that paid more that he’d been making, with a company that aligns with his goals, skills and interests.”

Old 04-16-2018, 05:01 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,512,727 times
I don't think they deserve any notice. No commitment works both ways. If they don't think you are critical enough to hire and give benefits to like a real professional than your leaving without notice shouldn't be a problem for them.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:12 PM

6,609 posts, read 11,369,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posherbosher View Post
W2 through an agency w/ benefits at the agency. Called a "contractor" and they say it's a "12-month" contract but there's no contract.
Just basing this on your description. But it looks like you are a full time employee working for a contracting firm. The contract is really between your employer and the client. You are just an employee working on said contract. So you'd give your two weeks to your employer (not the client). And they will handle the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I don't think they deserve any notice. No commitment works both ways. If they don't think you are critical enough to hire and give benefits to like a real professional than your leaving without notice shouldn't be a problem for them.
What the employer deserve is irrelevant to the individual. What the person leaving the job has to think about is their professional reputation. That reputation is going to follow you in the long run. Any satisfaction you get from "getting back" at your employer is 1) a very short lived result, and 2) unlike to really impact the employer.

More likely - your action would have a bigger impact on your former colleagues. And they are the ones who will likely be crossing paths with you down the road...

Old 04-16-2018, 07:25 PM

62 posts, read 107,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

What the employer deserve is irrelevant to the individual. What the person leaving the job has to think about is their professional reputation. That reputation is going to follow you in the long run. Any satisfaction you get from "getting back" at your employer is 1) a very short lived result, and 2) unlike to really impact the employer.

More likely - your action would have a bigger impact on your former colleagues. And they are the ones who will likely be crossing paths with you down the road...
Modern staffing agencies are a dime a dozen and are known to be some of the most unprofessional and disreputable companies out there. Anyone with simple common sense would leave immediately upon finding a full-time permanent employment offer, because if the agency ever decides to end your contract or terminate you for whatever contrived reason, they will likely not give you any notice. In fact, if you are foolish enough to grant them such a generous amount of notice, I would ensure that you remove all belongings from your work location in advance just in case they outright end your contract at that moment and tell you not to return. It has nothing to do with getting back at your employer. What should be understood is that the level of commitment you extend to your employees is the same level of commitment you should rightfully expect in return. I, personally would never want to delay my projected starting date with a permanent full-time employer who extended me an offer just so I can give my current staffing agency two weeks worth of notice.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:34 PM

So many different opinions - interesting! I have 2 weeks before my new job starts but there's really no need for me to stay for 2 weeks. I can really wrap everything and hand off in 1 and I'd like a week off. When I told my agency contact what I'd prefer she started going on about relationships and professionalism.

What difference does 1 week vs 2 make really if projects need to be handed off anyway? I get that it might be more convenient for them, but why is their convenience more important than mine?

Old 04-16-2018, 07:46 PM

29,559 posts, read 22,927,993 times
You're not listening OP, nor are you reading the links given.

If you did, then you wouldn't still be questioning things. I get it that many people come to this forum asking for 'advice,' when in fact the only advice they want is the one that encourages their way of thinking.

But ultimately it's not about YOU, it's about being professional.

It's absolutely irrelevant what is convenient for you, how badly people here think of agencies, or how employers let employees go without any notice. None of that has any relevance at all to your situation or others in similar situations. I don't get how so many people out there complain about how unprofessional corporate America is, how terrible management is, etc. etc., and yet, these same people then think nothing of acting unprofessionally themselves by advocating quitting a job without any notice. Total hypocrisy.

Is it really worth creating possible headaches for the sake of a one week time off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment