Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 01:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

I did that when I was very young. Low level job. People were nice, but I just HATED the job. I just didn't return after a couple of days. I didn't answer the phone, when they called. Why did I do that? I was really young and too scared to tell them. I didn't know how to handle the situation, esp since they were nice. I was a low level position, so leaving abruptly like that didn't leave them in a lurch with important work undone. I wouldn't have done that.

If your coworker quit, she either doesn't need to work, or she has another job lined up and just went in for a while to wrap up her work and get an extra paycheck. Did she have enough work to do?

One thing that gets to workers sometimes, when they don't have enough work to, is when they have to look for things to do, and then, wham....she sees the boss give the other worker yet another project, while she sits there looking for minor things to fill her time. Did that happen, since she was part time?

Another thing that could cause someone to walk out is if they find out they are being grossly underpaid, compared with another employee or her predecessor.

It's also possible that she worked at your place just to get a paycheck while she looked for something with better pay and benefits. Then when she got it, she left.,Doesn't explain why she didn't tell John, though. (It's possible John said something that caused her to quit; if so, he'll probably never confess to it. No one wants to viewed as responsible for an employee walking out.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 01:59 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
SO now you gossiping online about all these peoples business.. she just quit thats it this her problem and its not smart but people do that.
I changed their names.

I don't consider this gossiping. I am reaching out to see if people can shed some light on this experience that I find baffling.

She didn't just quit. She disappeared without saying a word, for no apparent reason.

Thanks for your opinion.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times
Not really sure why this is such a shock. I have seen people go to lunch and never return.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:06 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,133,264 times
Have you considered that something may have happened to her? One of my husbands direct reports went home and did not come back, husband went to his apartment and had to get police and landlord to get in and they found him dead on the floor from a stroke.
Also suppose she went out and someone grabbed her or something. Many possibilities here.

Old 04-28-2018, 04:20 PM

765 posts, read 473,811 times
well, i sure do hope everyone is right, and that she had a personal emergency....... but sometimes things just build up and build up....and it's hard to talk about, or it's a matter that perhaps she didn't feel would be easily received. Hopefully once a few days pass, she will be approachable. Personally, I'd text her again, Ask her nicely to lunch..... or dinner. bring flowers and sincerity and openness.

i once did this, walked out. just once, it was actually the last job i held.... i was this guys online shipping manager, office manager and customer service manager.... lol... it was just the two of us.

Things were ok at the start, but over the months, little by little, the pieces started to fit together, in my case this guy was a shyster like none i had ever met, with specious business practices, all based on utter lies and misrepresentations.... he had an online knife company, but also started selling items he "filched" out of cheaper factories in China, and got sued over..... also on those trips to China, he'd come back bragging about all the very very young chinese girls he bedded....and even kept, sending them money for medical treatment for their mother or brother.... absolutely didn't have a moral bone in his body.

i took it and took it, lying for him to his customers, to the new partnership he made with Costco, how their testing didn't unearth that his product was not 440 high carbon, ice hardened GERMAN steel I'll never know, it was far cheaper Chinese steel, it was marked up 300 percent so when people complained that the blade snapped or stained, he would give them a whole new set and more..... I never said a word to his wife, and regretted that but was very sure she knew, she was a nurse, seemed to have a totally separate life from him, she too was asian, maybe this is the price she paid for her citizenship, who knows? There I was 59 years old and schlepping hundreds of pounds of product out of trucks, shipping containers into a self storage unit and though it wasn't just me leaving keys on his desk, it was a full meltdown one day in the storage unit as he berated me why it was taking me so long.... it was just the last in a hundred straws I was not willing to overlook .

I'm sure this was just my experience, has nothing to do with how you treated her, oftentimes though it could just be little things you didn't realize were causing her stress. LOL, all that other stuff aside, all his lying and cheating? I probably would have lost it finally over his obsession with Taylor Swift, I mean, he was NUTSO over her, raving day and night over her, like hello Mr. age 64, you are acting like I did at age 13 over the Beatles!!!!

I sincerely Hope you both will sit down in a few days, iron it all out.... just make sure it's a really really nice restaurant with excellent food and a great wine list and you both will be laughing happily afterwards. Good Luck!!!!!

Old 04-28-2018, 04:37 PM

890 posts, read 883,065 times
Once as an engineer I sat next to a Chinese American engineering expert. One day, he walked up to me, shook my hand,
said goodbye, and went out the nearest door. He didn't tell anyone else, and all day people were coming up to me asking me where Pete went. He was wealthy from real estate investments, he did not need to work any longer.
But in this case, you should at least find out if she is ok. She might be in a hospital, her car might have run off the road into a pond, or so many other things.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Often wondered if work is just about needing to work in the financial sense?

I know some well off or set people that could have retired years ago and still come to work... they like what they do and the social interaction and knowing you "Could" walk out the door and never look back changes one's outlook.

Several of my friends are retired law enforcement... they all retired in their early 50's with lifetime medical and 100 to 180k retirements...

As strange as it sounds... a few went back to work for different agencies... even the one with the 180k pension... said he got bored and there are only so many new trucks a person needs...

My Step-Grandfather never retired yet he could have decades ago... the Real Estate under his company became quite valuable.

He was a self made man that came here with nothing but a tool maker trade... started his own company and built it up doing work for many of the most recognizable names in American Industry... when people would ask when he was going to retire... he would say what would happen to the men that work for me?

At times he had as many as 50 Union Machinists, Welders and Tool Makers...

He was always the first to the shop in the morning and the last to turn out the lights... every Saturday morning he would go in to plan the work for the next week... his one perk as the Boss was to take a 2 hour lunch each work day with an adult beverage at the same restaurant for 40 years... it was his table.

A few weeks after he passed at nearly 90 there was a horrific 5 alarm fire... leveled the place... all everyone said is good thing the old man didn't live to see this...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 04-30-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 04-28-2018, 05:32 PM

126 posts, read 96,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Often wondered if work is only about needing to work in the financial sense?

I know some well off people that could have retired years ago and still come to work... they like what they do and the social interaction and knowing you "Could" walk out the door and never look back changes one's outlook.
I guess it all depends on what you are doing and who you are doing it with. I've dealt with a number of highly unpleasant personalities at my different jobs. I really won't miss dealing with the jerks at all. Also, the mind-numbing nature of most cubicle jobs is not something I'll miss.

I think what you're talking about applies more to self-employed individuals, or at least that has been my experience.

Seriously, a day spent doing pretty much anything is preferable to a day in a cubicle, in my opinion.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Never had time in a cube... in college I had a part time job as a press operator... has to be at the top of the boring scale... but, at least it was inside and stress free.

I would guess Law Enforcement wouldn't be boring but there is the burn out factor.

It is true that most I know that keep working are self employed and have built a business that is very much part of them...

Even the farmer side of my family never retires... they just slow down as the next generation takes the reins.

Maybe the difference is desire instead of need?

The Directors that walked off the job at the Hospital were not going to loose their 480 hours and they did get everything they had coming... not a word from any of them... 25 to 30 years in and gone.

Old 04-28-2018, 06:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,137,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Something is going on in her personal life. No one just walks out without saying SOMETHING, that is totally irrational.
I agree. She possibly have some cash saved, with desires previously to go away just and left. Or she got another job and didn't want to deal with explaining things. If you texted her and she did not respond, I would probably leave things be. If she is missing and this is reported to police, you will be contacted as they go through the list of people starting with those closest to her.

I experienced this also. Was in an office job. A new hire came in and after 30 minutes said he was going to the store. He never came back. We got a call from his brother saying he left because the owner yelled at him and he ran out crying. It wasnt true though, as he sat in front of me. People do strange things sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment