Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 06:19 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,949,297 times

Advertisements

I have a job where I work in an office and on a job site, but 95% in the office right now and I can visit the site when I want where its 60 miles away. The job site is on my way back to my hometown (200 miles away) where I go on holiday weekends. Is it okay to visit the site and charge the driving to the per diem when I will be leaving from the site to go to my hometown after instead of back to my permanent address? Leaving from the site will save me travel time and distance since it is in between, and driving to and from the site will not actually cost me miles or money since it is on the way anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2018, 06:26 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
No, that would generally be viewed as improper.

Most mileage reimbursement policies have language about how to calculate the mileage. Usually it specifies either work or permanent address as the origin. You can not randomly choose another address b cause it is convenient and pays more.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:40 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
What does your policy say? You aren't going there because you need to, you are simply trying to get your employer to pay for some of your gas money to get to your hometown. You are driving that distance whether you stop at the sight or not. I agree that it would be improper.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
What does your policy say? You aren't going there because you need to, you are simply trying to get your employer to pay for some of your gas money to get to your hometown. You are driving that distance whether you stop at the sight or not. I agree that it would be improper.
Well my boss wants me to go there once a week, so I would justify going to the site. It just happens to be on the way to my destination further south. But yes, I would be driving through there regardless of if I went to the site or not. Normally I would go north back to my permanent address where I would charge mileage.

Old 05-15-2018, 08:36 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,708,956 times
Check with your employer. I would be able to record driving from my office to a client's home and then the mileage to home or office which ever was closest when I was working in the field; if that makes sense. Using the logic, you may be able to claim the mileage to your site and then the mileage that would be equal to driving from your site back to your office on your way home. So, if it was 60 miles to the site and then 200 to your home you'd get mileage for 120 miles but not for 260.

Old 05-15-2018, 11:35 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,685,406 times
You might be able to get mileage for the 120 miles round trip, but per diem? Probably not since you are not actually going back to the office and are going somewhere 2-3 hours down the road.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
I think the OP means mileage instead of per diem.

Old 05-15-2018, 12:48 PM

I meant mileage. So from my office to job site is 60 miles south. From the job site to my weekend destination is probably 200. Since the jobsite is on my way to my after work destination, I'm not sure if I should get mileage since I was driving there after work anyways.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:12 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,920,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I meant mileage. So from my office to job site is 60 miles south. From the job site to my weekend destination is probably 200. Since the jobsite is on my way to my after work destination, I'm not sure if I should get mileage since I was driving there after work anyways.
Ask them. They might be OK with it, they might not give you anything, they might only give you 60 miles worth out of that 200 miles.

It's better to clear it ahead of time than submit a strange request for mileage and have them wonder if you're trying to get away with something. This is a pure internal policy thing, so there isn't a lot we can say to help.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Ask them. They might be OK with it, they might not give you anything, they might only give you 60 miles worth out of that 200 miles.

It's better to clear it ahead of time than submit a strange request for mileage and have them wonder if you're trying to get away with something. This is a pure internal policy thing, so there isn't a lot we can say to help.
It wouldn't be a strange request. I doubt there is even a policy for this and they wouldn't even know where I drive after work. Of course I'm not going to submit the mileage to go home for the extra 200 miles. I didn't say that. I would just submit my normal round trip mileage of 120 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment